Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-31-2019, 08:23 PM   #21

I always say when in doubt check out a KOA. Otherwise I stayed at Dakota Ridge in Golden and loved the people and the sites they offer. Very quiet even though we are very near the highway. Drove thru Colorado Springs. Need to check out Garden of the Gods. Beautiful rock formations.
spark of insanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 09:10 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe w View Post
Does Carson have a FamCamp?
Carson doesn't, but the Air Force Academy has a very nice one. You have to be eligible though.
tomden2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 09:14 PM   #23

Also, don't rule out Mueller State Park, located on highway 67 between Divide and Cripple Creek, CO. If you want to see than changing of the aspens, this is the place. You aren't too far from Colorado Springs, plus there are a lot of things to see in the local area. (Cripple Creek has the only operating gold mine in the the US). Check it out.
tomden2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 04:50 AM   #24

Thanks as we are heading out that way soon. I'm retired Army.
joe w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 07:43 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomden2 View Post
Also, don't rule out Mueller State Park, located on highway 67 between Divide and Cripple Creek, CO. If you want to see than changing of the aspens, this is the place. You aren't too far from Colorado Springs, plus there are a lot of things to see in the local area. (Cripple Creek has the only operating gold mine in the the US). Check it out.
All Colorado state camp sites now require a reservation. Plan ahead. I haven’t tried to reserve such a site since the rule change but you might have to do it a week in advance (not sure). It is a shame that it has come to that.
2014 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost
skids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 10:03 AM   #26

I don’t know about that new system. That’s kind of odd you can’t even drive up to a Colorado state park and get what’s available. Kind of a pain. In theory you could go through the campground to see what’s available and then book online via your phone, but then what if you’re somewhere with no service.
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 01:32 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxLoser View Post
I don’t know about that new system. That’s kind of odd you can’t even drive up to a Colorado state park and get what’s available. Kind of a pain. In theory you could go through the campground to see what’s available and then book online via your phone, but then what if you’re somewhere with no service.
I hear you. They used to make x% available for same day drive-ups. I think it is unfriendly to require reservations for ALL state park camp sites. There is such a thing as going to a free National Forest camp site, but good luck findind one of those that is good for a big camping trailer.
2014 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost
skids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 03:03 PM   #28

Lone Duck is fun if you have kids. If not, you might want to look for somewhere a little quieter.
RidgeRouted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 05:49 AM   #29

Two years ago....great experience, great location....https://gardenofthegodsrvresort.com/
Jamnpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 06:49 PM   #30

I had reservation at this KOA in Fountain but I had to cancel. It looks pretty nice and its close to many attractions in the springs such as Cave of the Winds, Garden of the Gods, Seven falls and many other cool places. Also you should check out Royal Gorge only 58 miles VIA route 115

Colorado Springs KOA
8100 Bandley Drive
Fountain, CO 80817
Phone:800-562-8609
Email:info@coloradospringskoa.com
johnboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 08:08 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboy View Post
I had reservation at this KOA in Fountain but I had to cancel. It looks pretty nice and its close to many attractions in the springs such as Cave of the Winds, Garden of the Gods, Seven falls and many other cool places. Also you should check out Royal Gorge only 58 miles VIA route 115

Colorado Springs KOA
8100 Bandley Drive
Fountain, CO 80817
Phone:800-562-8609
Email:info@coloradospringskoa.com

Head due west to Buena Vista and then south to 162 just above Noth something. Turn on to that road and stay on it. You will see an epic ghost town. St Elmo. The locals don't want outsiders there because they feel it will ruin the ambiance. Hate to say it but it is the money they need to restore it. So go and enjoy. And if Tin Pan is open? No avalanches go check it out. Colorado is a lot of fun to explore.
spark of insanity is offline   Reply With Quote