Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-30-2017, 08:41 AM   #1

concerned about a burn mark

Has anyone installed a surge protector in their trailer?
I have the Progressive Industries model EMS-HW30C - installed on the floor in the vanity cabinet of my 2016 Jayco 28RBDS. Today I removed it to do some cleaning and noticed a burn mark on the vinyl flooring. I then notice that the bottom of the unit was warm - is this normal?
My son-in-law has the same one in his Jayco - I check his out and sure enough it was warm to the touch. His is mounted inside of a cabinet however it sits on top of a piece of masonite and doesn't appear to have any burn mark.
I called and sent a message to Progressive Industries - tech support only open 9-5 Monday through Friday.
I'm thinking of putting a heat shield of some sort under it - maybe a piece of ceramic tile - any thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
20170730_092621.jpg  
EPH 461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 09:16 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPH 461 View Post
Has anyone installed a surge protector in their trailer?
I have the Progressive Industries model EMS-HW30C - installed on the floor in the vanity cabinet of my 2016 Jayco 28RBDS. Today I removed it to do some cleaning and noticed a burn mark on the vinyl flooring. I then notice that the bottom of the unit was warm - is this normal?
My son-in-law has the same one in his Jayco - I check his out and sure enough it was warm to the touch. His is mounted inside of a cabinet however it sits on top of a piece of masonite and doesn't appear to have any burn mark.
I called and sent a message to Progressive Industries - tech support only open 9-5 Monday through Friday.
I'm thinking of putting a heat shield of some sort under it - maybe a piece of ceramic tile - any thoughts?
Ceramic tile would work fine, although I think I would go so far as to ensure it was raised off the tile and ventilated. Sitting on legs or standoffs to allow air underneath. All that heat cannot be good for the EMS either.
Old 07-30-2017, 09:28 AM   #3

Interesting as I have the 30amp portable unit. I usually just plug it in at the pedestal and forget about it till I'm ready to leave. Last trip I was reading voltage on it and grabbed it to see better and the bottom of it where the TT plugs in was pretty hot. The power cord was not hot. I was thinking to myself is this normal so let us know what you find out.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 10:43 AM   #4

I mounted mine on standoffs ( I just stacked washers) just because I was thinking about airflow. None of the documentation suggests doing so but I am very OCD about how I do things.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 05:27 AM   #5

I had one installed for about 3 years and it was plugged in unless we were on the road. I just removed it because I bought a new trailer and there was no burn mark behind the unit. A call to Progressive Industries may be in order, if for nothing more than piece of mind.

TV = 2006 F-350 CC DRW 6.0
TT = 2018 Wildwood 31KQBTS
TT = 2007 Jayco Jay Flight 27bh - SOLD
Macrosill is offline   Reply With Quote