Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-28-2016, 11:13 AM   #1

Condensation in bed ends

Hi Guys,

Have a 2015 X19H hybrid that we are using for the first time out on the west coast of Vancouver Island, everything working OK except what I presume is condensation under the bed end we are sleeping on! We stumbled on it by accident as we were moving the bed around, there is no leaks or drips coming down and we dried it of yesterday but this morning it was soaked again, I have seen a few older posts about this issue but would have thought Jayco would have a fix for it by now?It has been quite cool at night but no rain except for last night. Do you think it is worth the dealer looking at? The floor has a vinyl cover and the mattress is fabric. We also have the bathroom fan open and windows cracked.

Any thoughts would be great, thanks.

Alan.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 06:03 AM   #2

We had a 2007 Jayco 232 triple bunk hybrid and had the same condensation issues. We tried all sorts of different ideas to reduce the condensation but nothing worked very well. We tried leaving the bunk ends open, bathroom vent open, A/C fan running all night and even cut Reflectix strips to place in the hinge area to insulate. Still always had wet mattresses. We always opened up the camper when we got home, turned the mattresses upside down and ran the A/C until everything was dry. After doing this for 5 years we decided it was time for a change so we traded in on a 26BH! The luan on the bunks was just starting to get spongy when we traded in.We camp at least 30 nights a year so it got used a lot.

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 12:11 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply, does seem an issue in cooler weather doesn't it?
Old 05-29-2016, 03:06 PM   #4

It's a cool weather thing. I never worry about it. At the end of the trip when packing up it dries out. I have no signs of water damage.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 08:43 PM   #5

Condensation in bed ends

Just posted a few days ago about the condensation in the 19H.....was quite cheesed of at first because it seems everyone knows about it but you only ever find out when you have one sitting in the driveway after spending large amounts of $$$.

Anyway I thought about how to fix it and at the moment I just installed some AYR-FOIL on both bunk ends and secured with double sided outdoor carpet tape my thoughts are if I can stop the cold outside air meeting with the warm bunk bed then it should make it better, at the least it should stop the bed bottom from getting wet?

I will keep you posted after our next trip!

Alan.
Old 06-03-2016, 06:32 AM   #6

The way to "fix" that issue is to leave a bunk window flap or other window partially open. In other words you need a way to allow the moisture to escape. You'll need to experiment.

With our old '03 Kiwi 17a leaving a bunk flap open a couple of inches did te trick. That doesn't work well on our X20E. We found that simply leaving open the small crank out window above the sink works great. We never get any condensation anymore.

IIRC, the X19H doesn't have a small window like that.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 08:42 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Have a 2015 X19H hybrid that we are using for the first time out on the west coast of Vancouver Island, everything working OK except what I presume is condensation under the bed end we are sleeping on!
Yeah, condensation in the tent extensions is sort of a known issue. Had one, had condensation. The solution is pretty easy: Plenty of air flow/ventilation. We had an SLX 165RB, and most mornings the inside of the rear bunk was dripping wet, until I started partially opening the zippered windows AND using a small fan positioned to circulate air in the bunk.

Actually we would wake up many mornings and find that we had condensation on metal surfaces throughout the trailer, unless we had windows open or the A/C running. Our bodies generate a lot of moisture, and it has to go somewhere.

Haven't noticed the issue at all in our 23RLSW, but it's an entirely different animal.

Good luck!

Roger

TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 09:25 AM   #8

Ditto on unzipping the windows and little and running a fan. When we had our pop-up we noticed a big reduction in condensation after unzipping and fanning!
Old 06-03-2016, 08:33 PM   #9

Condensation

I wish it was that easy as opening flaps etc, we had both bed ends open, side windows open and bathroom vent open. I think it must have a lot to do with where you are and how much moist cool air is coming in to contact with the warm moist air inside, condensation on the bed end top inside I can understand but under the beds is no fun as you are constantly lifting the beds each morning to dry out, not my sort of camping experience for sure, I will see how it goes now after installing that tinfoil/bubble wrap insalation right to the bed floor.

Alan.