Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-15-2023, 06:56 PM   #1
PJC

Confused on LiPo Upgrade

Hello Friends,

Picked up our new-to-us 2021 224BH last weekend. I’ve been researching batteries and want to go LiPo because we like to boondock (Renogy looks nice). After reading threads on here I think I only need a new charger (bc the stock doesn’t accommodate that battery chemistry) and the battery…correct?

Pic of the new rig from the listing. It’s immaculate!
Attached Thumbnails
7CD6B200-954C-4976-9E3F-C6179E36B347.jpg  
PJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 07:43 PM   #2

Congrats on the RV!

Check your converter model, it may be able to charge lithium.

I contacted progressive dynamics regarding charging lithium batteries in my 2020, they told me my charger has a boost button on it's board that will force the converter to a higher voltage of 14.6v for 3 hours which should fully charge them. Otherwise, you will only get around a 80% charge without the boost button, that won't hurt the batteries but you loose 20% capacity. Or, swap the converter out with a lithium compatable one. You will like the lithium batteries!
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 07:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJC View Post
Hello Friends,

Picked up our new-to-us 2021 224BH last weekend. I’ve been researching batteries and want to go LiPo because we like to boondock (Renogy looks nice). After reading threads on here I think I only need a new charger (bc the stock doesn’t accommodate that battery chemistry) and the battery…correct?

Pic of the new rig from the listing. It’s immaculate!
In a towed rig typically you are correct, just the battery and a compatible converter with lithium charging profile. Before you "spring" for a new converter (or just the converter "section") just double-check that your current converter does not have a switch that would change the charging profile. Your rig is new enough it might.

Also, did your rig possibly come with any sort of "solar prep" package? Since you mention boondocking, solar might be something you consider in the future. Even if you don't have the Jayco prep there are a number of portable solar systems that can extend your boondocking time.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 08:02 PM   #4
PJC

Boost button. Very interesting I will have to check that out. Thanks for clearing up that you can still get 80% with the normal charger. Maybe I’ll do it step wise and try battery only upgrade to start. What brand did you go with? Usable ah and weight reduction totally sold me.
Old 03-15-2023, 08:14 PM   #5
PJC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
In a towed rig typically you are correct, just the battery and a compatible converter with lithium charging profile. Before you "spring" for a new converter (or just the converter "section") just double-check that your current converter does not have a switch that would change the charging profile. Your rig is new enough it might.

Also, did your rig possibly come with any sort of "solar prep" package? Since you mention boondocking, solar might be something you consider in the future. Even if you don't have the Jayco prep there are a number of portable solar systems that can extend your boondocking time.
It does have solar prep! I’d really really like to do panels next year…I already own a Bluetti AC200MAX which is a nice all in one with decent juice to add. With solar and another 100-200ah we would be set.

Had even mulled over figuring out how to copy a build showing how to plug the trailer into it from inside. It has a 30a plug and 2000w pure sine. The build basically showed cutting the 30a cable inside the rig and adding male and female plugs. Then throw the whole thing under the bunk and plug/unplug it as needed.
Old 03-16-2023, 12:39 PM   #6

Even a lead only charger will boost your Renogy Lithium to between 70 and 80% of a full charge. I added 200 watts solar and it will top it up quickly. An MPPT/solar package will take over the charging whenever there is sun as the MPPT charges at a higher voltage than the lead charger, except possibly on boost.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 08:32 AM   #7

is this boost button an actual physical button (if so, where located) or an onboard automated type button?
MeanGene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 09:51 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanGene View Post
is this boost button an actual physical button (if so, where located) or an onboard automated type button?
If you go with the 9200 series charger the Boost is built in. You can add a remote pendant to manually run the boost. I have that on my PD9200 series charger. Helps cut down on charge time if running the generator.

https://www.progressivedyn.com/rv/charge-wizard/
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 10:56 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by goducks View Post
If you go with the 9200 series charger the Boost is built in. You can add a remote pendant to manually run the boost. I have that on my PD9200 series charger. Helps cut down on charge time if running the generator.

https://www.progressivedyn.com/rv/charge-wizard/
thanks lots goducks!!
MeanGene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 11:49 AM   #10

Is there something uniquely different in the LiPo batteries being discussed here for boondock use and those that are used in RC model cars, drones and many other electronics? I'm asking because those applications have some real differences from how to keep the battery charged, how high to charge, the charge rates, the residual voltage at which the batter can be charged and if not there then damage will occur (shortened life), max time on charger to reach 100%, The flavor of battery that I'm most familiar with and I use is LiFePo4 for custom motorcycle builds.

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 08:47 AM   #11

Yes. Lithium iron phosphate, (RV batteries), are probably one of the safest lithium chemistries. Lithium polymer, the type used in the RC hobby are one of the most unstable, and require careful charging and handling. An intersting video-

ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 08:49 AM   #12

Using LiPo to refer to LiFePO4 can be confusing when you know the difference.

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote