Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-15-2023, 06:56 PM   #1
PJC
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Chicago
Posts: 45
Confused on LiPo Upgrade

Hello Friends,

Picked up our new-to-us 2021 224BH last weekend. I’ve been researching batteries and want to go LiPo because we like to boondock (Renogy looks nice). After reading threads on here I think I only need a new charger (bc the stock doesn’t accommodate that battery chemistry) and the battery…correct?

Pic of the new rig from the listing. It’s immaculate!
Attached Thumbnails
7CD6B200-954C-4976-9E3F-C6179E36B347.jpg  
PJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 07:43 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
ARoamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: St Johns MI
Posts: 1,722
Congrats on the RV!

Check your converter model, it may be able to charge lithium.

I contacted progressive dynamics regarding charging lithium batteries in my 2020, they told me my charger has a boost button on it's board that will force the converter to a higher voltage of 14.6v for 3 hours which should fully charge them. Otherwise, you will only get around a 80% charge without the boost button, that won't hurt the batteries but you loose 20% capacity. Or, swap the converter out with a lithium compatable one. You will like the lithium batteries!
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 07:51 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Robbbyr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Akron
Posts: 3,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJC View Post
Hello Friends,

Picked up our new-to-us 2021 224BH last weekend. I’ve been researching batteries and want to go LiPo because we like to boondock (Renogy looks nice). After reading threads on here I think I only need a new charger (bc the stock doesn’t accommodate that battery chemistry) and the battery…correct?

Pic of the new rig from the listing. It’s immaculate!
In a towed rig typically you are correct, just the battery and a compatible converter with lithium charging profile. Before you "spring" for a new converter (or just the converter "section") just double-check that your current converter does not have a switch that would change the charging profile. Your rig is new enough it might.

Also, did your rig possibly come with any sort of "solar prep" package? Since you mention boondocking, solar might be something you consider in the future. Even if you don't have the Jayco prep there are a number of portable solar systems that can extend your boondocking time.
__________________
Rob R.
Akron, OH
2014 Seneca 37TS
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 08:02 PM   #4
PJC
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Chicago
Posts: 45
Boost button. Very interesting I will have to check that out. Thanks for clearing up that you can still get 80% with the normal charger. Maybe I’ll do it step wise and try battery only upgrade to start. What brand did you go with? Usable ah and weight reduction totally sold me.
PJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 08:14 PM   #5
PJC
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Chicago
Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
In a towed rig typically you are correct, just the battery and a compatible converter with lithium charging profile. Before you "spring" for a new converter (or just the converter "section") just double-check that your current converter does not have a switch that would change the charging profile. Your rig is new enough it might.

Also, did your rig possibly come with any sort of "solar prep" package? Since you mention boondocking, solar might be something you consider in the future. Even if you don't have the Jayco prep there are a number of portable solar systems that can extend your boondocking time.
It does have solar prep! I’d really really like to do panels next year…I already own a Bluetti AC200MAX which is a nice all in one with decent juice to add. With solar and another 100-200ah we would be set.

Had even mulled over figuring out how to copy a build showing how to plug the trailer into it from inside. It has a 30a plug and 2000w pure sine. The build basically showed cutting the 30a cable inside the rig and adding male and female plugs. Then throw the whole thing under the bunk and plug/unplug it as needed.
PJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 12:39 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
RogerR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Mapleton
Posts: 4,358
Even a lead only charger will boost your Renogy Lithium to between 70 and 80% of a full charge. I added 200 watts solar and it will top it up quickly. An MPPT/solar package will take over the charging whenever there is sun as the MPPT charges at a higher voltage than the lead charger, except possibly on boost.
__________________
2017 SLX 195RB
2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit L 5.7L V8
Andersen WDH hitch, Renogy 100 AH Lithium &
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 08:32 AM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: HUNTSVILLE
Posts: 8
is this boost button an actual physical button (if so, where located) or an onboard automated type button?
MeanGene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 09:51 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Salem
Posts: 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanGene View Post
is this boost button an actual physical button (if so, where located) or an onboard automated type button?
If you go with the 9200 series charger the Boost is built in. You can add a remote pendant to manually run the boost. I have that on my PD9200 series charger. Helps cut down on charge time if running the generator.

https://www.progressivedyn.com/rv/charge-wizard/
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 10:56 AM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: HUNTSVILLE
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by goducks View Post
If you go with the 9200 series charger the Boost is built in. You can add a remote pendant to manually run the boost. I have that on my PD9200 series charger. Helps cut down on charge time if running the generator.

https://www.progressivedyn.com/rv/charge-wizard/
thanks lots goducks!!
MeanGene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 11:49 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Brunswick Hills
Posts: 911
Is there something uniquely different in the LiPo batteries being discussed here for boondock use and those that are used in RC model cars, drones and many other electronics? I'm asking because those applications have some real differences from how to keep the battery charged, how high to charge, the charge rates, the residual voltage at which the batter can be charged and if not there then damage will occur (shortened life), max time on charger to reach 100%, The flavor of battery that I'm most familiar with and I use is LiFePo4 for custom motorcycle builds.
__________________
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 08:47 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
ARoamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: St Johns MI
Posts: 1,722
Yes. Lithium iron phosphate, (RV batteries), are probably one of the safest lithium chemistries. Lithium polymer, the type used in the RC hobby are one of the most unstable, and require careful charging and handling. An intersting video-

ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 08:49 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Brunswick Hills
Posts: 911
Using LiPo to refer to LiFePO4 can be confusing when you know the difference.
__________________
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Jayco, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.