Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-30-2015, 10:37 AM   #1

Confused re: Jayflight 2015/2016

We currently own a Jayco Jayflight 29BHS G2 2011 and might want to change it for a Jayflight with a bunkhouse and kitchen

We tow our current TT with a GMC Sierra 2013 Crew Cab Z71 with the 5.3 and the towing package (max towing cap is 9600 pounds) and with the Equalizer system.

So the 3 models we are more interested are-
1-29BHS
2-32BHDS
3-31QBDS

From my past experience it seems my 2 and 3 choice might be limit for my towing capacity but can someone from this forum can give me more information. On Jayco website it seems the weight are ok.

We are curently seasonal and we travel 2 or 3 times a year.

The G2 seems to be called now the Elite Package but I am not sure, is this package seems to be a good deal?

Do you have more suggestion on the models to be choose without having to change our pick-up.

Thank you
protege-five is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 12:59 PM   #2

We have the Elite Package, and it was something we wanted due to all the things included.

Without knowing even just the "dry/brochure weights" of #1 & #3, I do know unless you pack light and don't carry anything in the truck bed, I don't see how you would stay under your payload, hitch tw rating, or possibly ra rating with the 32 BHDS.

Loaded our trailer is about 9200lbs (haven't reweighed) with about 1400lbs tw! Look in your drivers door for the yellow sticker, "Passengers and cargo bit to exceed XXXXlbs". What is that amount, about 1500lbs or so??? How much does the family weigh, how much in the truck bed, etc? The loaded tw counts towards the payload amount as well.

It was 8860lbs loaded, 1400lb tw, but without our boys stuff in the trailer (90% in the bunk room), or the rear cargo hitch mounted yet with bikes on the rear of the tt. Those weights are with all tanks empty as well... Not even 1g of fresh water in the tank (water lines/ water heater full though).

What is the "brochure weights" for the other two models?

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 01:22 PM   #3

Not sure if any of those models will work pending family and cargo weight in the truck, and how you pack the trailer, including the pass through.

What about the new model, 27 BHS that replaces the 26 BHS????

Old 09-30-2015, 06:38 PM   #4

My DW and I have concluded we will caravan with 2 vehicles, because we are maxed out on Combined GVWR on the TV. Just this evening we looked at pickups, but only being 6 months into the note on the Explorer, we can't justify it. For what its worth, I plan to use the trailer's max GVWR rather than dry weight next time I buy. Factoring in passengers + 30# each for personal items and 12% tongue weight for the TV GVWR.
2011 Shelby GT500 (only thing it pulls is G's)
2003 Jeep Liberty Limited (DD's)
1995 F-150 short wheel base (Sold)
finally03gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 07:50 PM   #5

We have the 31QBDS and love it. We are towing with a 2014 Silverado 1500 with 3.42 gears and the Equalizer WDH. We also installed the Roadmaster Active Suspension which we highly recommend. It really helped provide a better ride and reduced sway. I believe the max towing on the truck is 9,500 lbs with a 15,000 lbs max total weight. We are right at the limits when loaded (2 adults, 4 kids, bikes in the truck, with all other gear in the trailer, no water in the tanks). We maxed out the weight distribution after a couple trips to the CAT scales showed the dealer didn't push enough weight to the front axle of the truck. The truck pulls the trailer fine and if you adjust the brake controller correctly, it stops just fine as well. We took a 10 hour trip this summer and had no issues. We got about 8 mpg. We would highly recommend the trailer as we love the layout and you should be fine with your truck. Just be smart when loading the truck and trailer, keep an eye on the total weight of the truck, trailer, and gear, adjust the WDH and brake controller accurately, and take your time on the road.
christopher.smith50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 09:12 PM   #6

Chris,

What was your loaded trailer weight, and loaded tongue weight? With 6 passengers (4 still growing) and 4-6 bikes in the bed, you are still under the payload (gvwr) of your truck, and the rear axle rating?

As I mentioned, it is all about the payload of 1500/150 trucks. Regardless of the tow rating, in most cases a travel trailer just has to much tongue weight to be close to the tow rating of the truck. Flat bed/ open utility trailer is possible due to the lower tongue weight needed for a stable tow.

We towed our previous trailer, 31' oal Dutchmen, ~7200lbs loaded with a '10-1500 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6spd/3.42 4x4, and while it had plenty of power, I don't see how it would have even come close to handling a trailer much longer or heavier like our 32 BHDS is. Power wise it probably would have pulled it, but not handled the loaded trailer very well. I did have a cab high topper on that truck (about 200lbs), but we were just under the rear axle rating by 40lbs ( I think it was), and actually over the gvwr of the truck (7k lbs) by up to 200lbs depending on what we had in the bed of the truck. Only had a tool box, 4 bikes, and a few boards for leveling in the bed. That was with just under 1k lbs (loaded) tongue weight.

The brochure dry tongue (hitch) weight does not include a battery or propane tanks on the tongue. That alone adds about 160lbs for 2-30lb tanks and a battery.

Old 10-01-2015, 05:50 PM   #7

I do not have all the numbers at my fingertips right now but we were under all the payload and axle load ratings. In addition, the roadmaster suspension system actually increases the payload / tongue weight capacity, (but it does not change the axle capacity). The keys to staying within the truck capacities were maxing out the weight distribution, evenly distributing the payload weight in the truck and trailer, and spending some time at the CAT scales adjusting and re-adjusting to figure this all out. I also can't say enough about how much the roadmaster suspension system improved the stability and sway control.
Old 04-03-2016, 03:00 AM   #8

So a few months past since my last post on this topic...

Winter is over but it bring back the feeling after going to some RV shows,we might want to change our TT.

We have the same pick-up (Sierra 2013 crew, 5.3, towing package, z71)but the TT we are looking is now the Jayflight 28BHBE Elite package....

But I am seriously confused with all the numbers I have to take in consideration to tow. Yeah your truck is fine it can tow 9600. The yellow sticker of the TT is 6883.

Please can someday can help me to see what is the other number do I need and where to find it? Thank you
Old 04-03-2016, 05:32 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by protege-five View Post
So a few months past since my last post on this topic...

Winter is over but it bring back the feeling after going to some RV shows,we might want to change our TT.

We have the same pick-up (Sierra 2013 crew, 5.3, towing package, z71)but the TT we are looking is now the Jayflight 28BHBE Elite package....

But I am seriously confused with all the numbers I have to take in consideration to tow. Yeah your truck is fine it can tow 9600. The yellow sticker of the TT is 6883.

Please can someday can help me to see what is the other number do I need and where to find it? Thank you
PAYLOAD is the determining number.
The payload should include the trailer tongue weight, the weight of the WDH, the propane and battery, all the stuff you bring with you in the truck, sometimes it includes the people and the fuel in the truck as well.

For the 28BHBE being pulled by a 1/2 ton truck, it has been discussed on this forum many times in the past (do a search). You will probably be over the truck payload and or rear axle rating. If not you will be a few, and I mean a few pounds under a 1/2 ton truck payload with that trailer. Ideally you want to be under payload by 20%-30%. Not maxed out. Basically if you have to ask can my truck tow this, the answer is probably no.

Now you will get responses from people who tow the same trailer with the same truck telling you it tows great, no problem. There was even a guy on here who swears his X5 BMW is a wonderful tow vehicle for the 28BHBE! For me (I have a very similar trailer) if anything happened to my family due to my ignorance of my trucks tow capacity, I couldn't live with the guilt knowing I ignored the limits of my truck.

Anyway, good luck
Reese SC Weight Distrubition with sway control (12,000lb)
Jhowemca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 07:14 AM   #10

Protege-five as has been mentioned payload is your issue. If you want to know what your trucks actual payload is take it to the scales then subtract that weight from your GVWR. I bought a 29qbs last year thinking my 1500 could handle it. 9600 tow capacity, figured it'd be fine. Once reading about it and learning what all the numbers mean there is no way I could stay under my weights. My truck, with just me in it and a full tank of gas was 6072lbs. Add a hitch, propane, batteries and you are right there at the limit.

There is no way that 31qbds stayed under weight!! None of the add on's you do change what the truck can legally handle for payload or tow ratings. The number that's posted from factory is the # you have to go with. The add on's can and will change the way your truck handles a heavy load but not what's allowed by law.
canadiankid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 08:15 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhowemca View Post
PAYLOAD is the determining number.
The payload should include the trailer tongue weight, the weight of the WDH, the propane and battery, all the stuff you bring with you in the truck, sometimes it includes the people and the fuel in the truck as well.

For the 28BHBE being pulled by a 1/2 ton truck, it has been discussed on this forum many times in the past (do a search). You will probably be over the truck payload and or rear axle rating. If not you will be a few, and I mean a few pounds under a 1/2 ton truck payload with that trailer. Ideally you want to be under payload by 20%-30%. Not maxed out. Basically if you have to ask can my truck tow this, the answer is probably no.

Now you will get responses from people who tow the same trailer with the same truck telling you it tows great, no problem. There was even a guy on here who swears his X5 BMW is a wonderful tow vehicle for the 28BHBE! For me (I have a very similar trailer) if anything happened to my family due to my ignorance of my trucks tow capacity, I couldn't live with the guilt knowing I ignored the limits of my truck.

Anyway, good luck
Thank you for your reply, I have the following numbers but I am not sure how to do the math.
GCWR 15000lb
Combined weight and cargo 1507lb
GVWR 7000lb
GAWR FR 3950lb
GAWR Rear 3950lb
Axe ratio 3.42

Equalizer system

Did I missed a number and can someone can show me how to do the math. Thank you
Old 04-03-2016, 08:21 AM   #12

well those are factory numbers but everything added to truck is added to combined weight and cargo capacity ... people on board, weight distributing hitch weight, fuel in truck, stuff loaded in bed of truck, topper weight if you have one so you can see it adds up pretty quickly then you have to added loaded tongue weight of trailer
Old 04-03-2016, 08:24 AM   #13

The gvwr on the truck is weight of truck and added cargo weight what does it weigh loaded .... the gcwr is the combined truck and camper weight loaded so even though your gcwr might be fine your gvwr might be pushing it
Old 04-03-2016, 08:42 AM   #14

The number you are going to have a hard time with is you GVWR and maybe GAWR. To know what you actually have for payload you have to weight the truck. It's kinda like the posted tongue weight for trailers in that it's a deceiving number. Fill your truck full of gas and go to the scales. Then you'll know how much you can add to your vehicle and stay below numbers.
Old 04-03-2016, 09:50 AM   #15

When it comes to towing trailers people concentrate so much on weights and capabilities and capacities of their TVs versus the TT's. This information should be the first consideration and is important. However, many people forget lengths as a factor. Wheel base, TV rear wheel to TT wheels, to overall length.
There are instances where weights are well within specifications and trailer load is spread well, but the towing is still unsafe or "white knuckled" at best because the TT is simply too long for the set up.
It is an inarguable point for example, that given even a well equipped 1/2 ton TV towing a trailer and having a cargo load that is (give or take) 500 lbs under the maximum specifications and comfortably within the tongue weights; a trailer length of 27 feet will not have the tendency and be affected by sway like a trailer length of 32 feet will be (don't think the lengths are so close they won't make much of a difference; each additional 6 inches of trailer length changes the relative distance position of the trailer axles and the amount of trailer hanging out there behind the TT axles). Likewise, the two different lengths will also cause a reaction to the TV (the tail wags the dog effect). Whereas, using an identical trailer and load set up with a 3/4 ton, in the same circumstances will not have the same rendered effects on the truck or the trailer.
Just something to think about.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 12:46 PM   #16

There is no way that 31qbds stayed under weight!! None of the add on's you do change what the truck can legally handle for payload or tow ratings. The number that's posted from factory is the # you have to go with. The add on's can and will change the way your truck handles a heavy load but not what's allowed by law.

canadiankid, my set-up did fit within the truck specifications. I spent several hours at a CAT scale making sure. Also, the Roadmaster system does increase the payload and tongue weight similar to adding a leaf spring except the Roadmaster system also helps with sway. I didn't say anything about an increase in towing capacity and I specifically said it does nothing to increase the capacity of the rear axle. Can we stick to our own experiences and opinions?

protege-five, I agree with the others that you need to figure out the total weight of your truck at a CAT scale with everything you would typically carry on a trip. You then have the dry sticker weight of the trailer from the dealer and I have read (and agree based on my experience) adding 1,000 lbs for gear in the trailer is a reasonable estimation of what will be in it. Using a WDH, I believe you will be able to reasonably distribute the trailer weight on both axles. Compare those numbers against the various capacities of your truck to know if your vehicle can handle it.

NVGun40 makes very good points about being within capacities, versus how the trailer pulls and our comfort level pulling trailers of various lengths and weights. That is really a personal preference and decision and something to think about. We decided that for the max of 8 trips per year we take with the camper (1 long trip, most short local trips), we would pay attention to the weather, travel in off-peak hours, take our time, etc. and go with the 1500 versus spending more on a 2500 and having way more truck that needed as a daily driver the rest of the year. I am also very comfortable towing trailers in all conditions. These are all things to think about before making a decision. Good luck.
Old 04-03-2016, 01:02 PM   #17

I'm sorry Christopher, didn't mean to upset you. Was half asleep still when I wrote that. What I should have said was I'd be very surprised if a 31 QBDS could stay within specs of a 1500. I'd love to hear what your numbers are cause with a tongue weight of over 1000lbs you must be doing something different then I was!

But nothing you do changes the trucks payload. Your truck says it can weight 7200lbs, that's what your truck can weight. I'm sure it helps the ride but it doesn't make it legal to be heavier.
Old 04-03-2016, 02:32 PM   #18

Sorry for the confusion, our new choice for our TT might be the Jayflight 28BHBE. (Elite Package-one a/c unit-...) Thank you even if we really like the floor plan of almost every floor plans from Jayco, our choice is still the 28BHBE. Thank you again
Old 04-03-2016, 02:53 PM   #19

Protege, I would not want to sway you in any other direction than a Jayco. You get what you are comfortable with. If you search around and pay attention, you will notice, the manufacturer doesn't matter. Other than cosmetic differences and perhaps a minor cupboard or pantry placement, they all have the same floor plans. Go to Keystone, Forest River, Pacific Coachworks, Coachmen, etc. they all have the same basic floor plans across the board. Even all the appliances are the same (Atwood, Dometic, Norcold, etc.). The differences are primarily is weights, trim packages, accessories.
I am partial to the Jayco lineup, mainly, and perhaps I have just been lucky, because they have taken really good care of me.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 06:23 PM   #20

Protege..... I think as long as you get a good hitch/sway control and have it set up you PROPERLY, will be fine ! If you want to drop a few pounds go with the 28BHBE aluminum sided. IMHO I think you will have less maintenance upkeep with the extruded sides vs the flat fiberglass walls and maybe a little stronger.
I tow our 28 BHBE with '11 Ram Hemi 1500 5.7l and have no issues. For my personal satisfaction I have upgraded my shocks and changed my tires from passenger rated to E-rated Michelins and have noticed the difference just in daily driving. I'm sure their are self proclaimed experts on this forum that say the numbers are way too close and this and that..... next time your driving down the road take a look at some of these commercial dumptrucks and log haulers tires and tell me how bad they're squating .....
Fill The Coolers is offline   Reply With Quote