Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-16-2016, 09:13 PM   #11

We have the same trailer and tow w/ a 2012 burb w/ towing package. We are a family of 4 and pull the trailer "dry". I haven't weighed it yet, but we don't put much other than snacks n drinks in the TV and everything else in the trailer. The burb pulls it good. I did put Mich MXS tires and max PSI them up. The burb pulls it good. Went from NC to Disney on I95 at about 60 MPH with no problems. I just stayed alert, watched for big rigs and kept her straight. I haven't pulled any serious mountains, just some foot hills with no problems.
I do want to upgrade the TV, but I feel comfortable right now.

Swinepartner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 09:31 PM   #12

I just went outside to double-check, GVWR is 7200 and payload is 1745 which comes out to a dry weight of 5455, which is just shy of what it weighed at the scales (with my daughter and some gas). I wonder how they cut the weight down of the 14+ models so much, but I do have the base trim which must be a few hundred pounds lighter than the SL and SLTs.

The front and rear GAW is actually 3950 so based on the scale measurements from last year, assuming that my family's weight (500#) goes to the front axle and the whole tongue weight (800#) goes to the rear axle:

Front Axle: 3020 + 500 = 3500 (89% capacity)
Rear Axle: 2550 + 800 = 3350 (85% capacity)
Payload: 500+800 = 1300 (74% capacity)

So you are right, I am definitely above 80% capacity of each axle, but payload is fine. Another person on the forum suggested that I increased the tongue weight a bit to see if it helps with cross winds; I am going to try this in April. I think the heaviest I would go is a 1500# payload though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiankid View Post
My truck was 3366lbs front axle 2706 rear axle with a GVWR of 7000lbs. That was with a full tank of gas but just myself in the cab. That left under 1000lbs for tongue weight, wife kids and dog. Not possible. Sounds like your trucks weight significantly less then the 2009's did so maybe it is possible to be within the weight limit but I'd be very surprised if you where less then 80% of the limit.

motorbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 09:37 PM   #13

What it pretty much boils down to is a 1/2 ton vehicle will tow the trailer, but a 3/4 ton would definitely be a better package.

Last fall the wife and I were basically in the same position you are in. We saw the trailer and fell in love. Had to have it. Our current tow rig is her 2015 Yukon SLT, which I was a little skeptical to use to tow it but figured I would try it out. I will say I am absolutely amazed at how well this thing tows the trailer. I dont know if it is the rear air suspension, WD hitch, 22" wheels with low pro tires or a combo of a little of it all, but this thing blows my mind at how well it does. We did a few different several hundred mile trips last fall with it and never had any issues what so ever. Several windy areas... passed lots of semis... never had an issue with sway ever. Hell, I caught myself passing people in the passing lanes on several occasions. It just felt very confident.

All that being said, we are gonna be trading up for a 3/4 ton truck. It is not that I dont feel comfortable using the half ton, I just feel that it is too much trailer for it. The trailer is HEAVY.

My advice is get the trailer and tow it around a bit. If it just isnt working out for you, sell the truck and get a different one.

Best of luck with your decision! You will love the 28BHBE if you do get it!

olyelr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 09:40 PM   #14

I think we can all agree on that, its an awesome trailer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyelr View Post
Best of luck with your decision! You will love the 28BHBE if you do get it!
Old 02-16-2016, 09:50 PM   #15

I don't want this to be an argument, and like I said earlier I towed pretty much the same weight and felt like it all went well. Never once did the tail wag the dog but in my opinion if you have to ask, if you have to crunch numbers and stress about wind, it's not the right fit. Go weight your truck, if you want to know what your actual payload is. Mine was at least 500lbs less then advertised, not sure why? Box liner, mud flaps, I guess all these things add up but the numbers at the scale surprised me!!
canadiankid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 09:53 PM   #16

That is what i have but its called 287bhsw but exact floorplan, i pull it with tundra with 5.7 with no problem but my hp and torque are higher and so is my tow rating
Old 02-16-2016, 10:22 PM   #17

I think we are on the same page, I did take my truck and trailer to the scale and when disconnected it weighed 5570# versus 5455# based upon GVWR minus payload from the door sticker. I am not surprised by the extra 115#, the WDH weights almost 70# plus bedliner and some stuff in the bed.

Considering I spend maybe 15-20 hours towing the TT per year, versus 300+ hours driving while not towing, I think I made the right decision. I also think a 2500 or 3500 SRW would have similar problems with cross winds, which is why I see alot of fifth wheel TTs out there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiankid View Post
I don't want this to be an argument, and like I said earlier I towed pretty much the same weight and felt like it all went well. Never once did the tail wag the dog but in my opinion if you have to ask, if you have to crunch numbers and stress about wind, it's not the right fit. Go weight your truck, if you want to know what your actual payload is. Mine was at least 500lbs less then advertised, not sure why? Box liner, mud flaps, I guess all these things add up but the numbers at the scale surprised me!!
Old 02-17-2016, 08:27 AM   #18

Slick,

Welcome and congrats on the possible new 28!!!!

As far as weighing, what you can do is load the family up, load anything you would normally carry in the bed, and throw the wdh in (bars in bed) and go weigh the truck only. That will give you a great starting pointing of knowing where you stand even before you buy the trailer...

With 1700lbs of payload, as long as you don't load a lot in the bed, the total family weight isn't on the higher side, you will probably be ok. Though that is a slightly longer trailer for double cab short bed truck's wheelbase. Just make sure the wdh is set up properly.

Your "Equalizer" hitch, is it an "Equal-I-Zer 4 way model, or are you referring to the wdh as an "equalizer" hitch? Just asking because you will want a wdh with integrated sway control...

Good luck!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanrebel View Post
That is what i have but its called 287bhsw but exact floorplan, i pull it with tundra with 5.7 with no problem but my hp and torque are higher and so is my tow rating
That is the SLX model? It is a little lighter than the Flight 28 BHBE model. Also, pulling or towing that weight even with the 5.3/6spd/3.42 is not an issue at all. It comes down to the available payload of the truck: all passengers, any cargo in the truck, the wdh, AND the tt tw (travel trailer tongue weight) all count toward the payload of the truck.

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 09:10 AM   #19

It is the equalizer 4 point with the torsion bars and sway control. Averagely it is myself , my wife and son in the truck. Although I am a big guy 6'2" 300lbs. Most of our stuff goes in the trailer. I don't carry water. Maybe a a bike and some misc. things in the bed. Also the dealer will be setting up the hitch for the new trailer.
Slick87SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 09:50 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick87SS View Post
It is the equalizer 4 point with the torsion bars and sway control. Averagely it is myself , my wife and son in the truck. Although I am a big guy 6'2" 300lbs. Most of our stuff goes in the trailer. I don't carry water. Maybe a a bike and some misc. things in the bed. Also the dealer will be setting up the hitch for the new trailer.
Lots of good points already on this thread. I've been in your shoes. We did okay for a while with my GMC 1500, but I had 300lbs less payload capacity on that 2012 truck than the 17XX lbs you mention. Mine was like 1474 IIRC according to the door placard. So I was at or over payload most of the time.

As far as setting up your WDH, your dealer will be setting it up for an empty trailer. And chances are it will still be wrong (mine was, and I've heard several people complain that theirs was as well). So be ready to adjust that WDH when you get everything loaded up. Make sure the dealer gives you all the instructions that come with it and extra washers for head tilt adjustments.

We LOVE our 28BHBE, and every time I go to an RV show, I validate our decision. Even considering 5ers and MHs, our BHBE is still the best fit for us.

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jayco jayflight 28bhbe