Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-16-2016, 04:43 PM   #1

Considering a Jayco 28bhbe

Hey all. Me and the family had a large tree "claim" our last trailer a few weeks ago😩 So we are looking at a Jayco jay flight 28 bhbe. I would be towing it with a 2015 Silverado double cab. 9200# tow cap and 1750 payload. I use the an equalizer WD hitch as well. I know the trailer is on the heavy side so I am wondering if any of you tow yours with a 1500/150 series?What has your experience? Also the tongue weight is only 650#? My last trailer was lighter but heavier tongue weight. Just want to be sure before I commit to it. Love the the layout and the big shower, I am a big guy lol, and hope to make this work safely. Any info would welcomed! Thanks
Slick87SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 04:56 PM   #2

I towed this camper with a F150. Actual tongue weight from multiple weigh-ins from CAT scale and a sherline scale ranged from 900-1100 lbs depending on how I was loaded.

I used an equalizer WDH.

It's dooable. I was not always comfortable towing with this pick up. Semi's and big trucks would push/pull me around on the highway. I was searching for mods to improve the towing. I tried Roadmaster Active Suspension. There was no significant change with that (except my springs would squeak unlaoded). I was going to try LT tires and air bags next. Then changed trucks.

Good luck
2015 Jayflight 28 BHBE (sold)
2009 Jayflight 26 BH (sold)
hboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 05:07 PM   #3

I have the Eagle version of that same trailer. It's basically the same and similar weight. Just got back from a 2000 mile drive with it.

Honestly, while you might be able to squeeze it into the towing specs of your truck, I would feel uncomfortable doing so. Your main concern by spec will be payload, assuming you have kids, but you and everyone riding with you and your stuff in the truck weight less than 700 lbs, you're probably ok there.

But even in my 3/4 ton truck and my fancy pro-pride hitch, I can feel the pull when semi's go by and it can feel somewhat dicey when you get broadside winds. I'd probably be driving a slow 45 MPH down the highway if I were towing with a 1500 in similar conditions.

I've heard a lot of guys doing it, so yes, it can be done. Whether it's advisable or not is up to you, but I certainly wouldn't do it given a choice.
ecksdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 05:29 PM   #4

LT tires are a must, I tow with basically the same truck, adjust the WDH to keep the tongue weight below 1000# and you'll be fine for short trips and occasional long ones.
motorbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 07:00 PM   #5

Slick I was towing a similar trailer with a 1500 last year. A 29 qbs with a Silverado 5.3. I was definitely underpowered going up hill, almost all my towing was flat ground and with the blue ox and stable loads attached it did pretty well. I towed in some huge wind and never had any big movement. I believe my hitch weight was also rated around 650 but it was always over 1000. I was always over on my rear axle weight. I was not comfortable putting my family in the truck when I knew I was so close (or over) max weights. So.......new truck. If you do get it I strongly suggest you put on stable loads, I much preferred them to air bags.
canadiankid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 07:14 PM   #6

So my other trailer was an Aspen Trail 28bhs. We bought it in August and did a few trips around New England. The truck did pretty well I guess. It could be a handful but keep in me I jumped from never owning a trailer to a hulk of one! Lol. I see a lot of people went to CAT scales and such but I don't have that luxury since I don't own the Jayco yet. Nervous to get in over my head but we really like this Trailer.
Old 02-16-2016, 07:46 PM   #7

I have the crew cab version of his truck, which must have a 3.42 rear axle given the tow rating he stated. The GAW for both front and rear axles is 3900#, as long as he has WDH setup properly and is under 1000# tongue weight he will be within the rating of his truck. My tongue weight for the same trailer with, essentially, the same truck is just below 800# using a Blue Ox hitch with 1000# bars (7 links showing). This leaves me with 950# of payload.

The 2014+ 5.3 is a different engine, same displacement, but more torque and a broader torque curve. I have had the opposite experience, good power going up grades, the worst I have done is a 12% grade for about 1km and RPMs were under 4k. My only issue with a 1500 towing the 28BHBE is crosswinds, it is basically a 28' long 12' high sail in the wind.

He already has the truck, it can definitely tow the trailer, it is prudent for him to see how comfortable he is towing with his current TV before he starts spending more money or goes into more debt. That's just my opinion, of course, but I do have the same truck and trailer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiankid View Post
Slick I was towing a similar trailer with a 1500 last year. A 29 qbs with a Silverado 5.3. I was definitely underpowered going up hill, almost all my towing was flat ground and with the blue ox and stable loads attached it did pretty well. I towed in some huge wind and never had any big movement. I believe my hitch weight was also rated around 650 but it was always over 1000. I was always over on my rear axle weight. I was not comfortable putting my family in the truck when I knew I was so close (or over) max weights. So.......new truck. If you do get it I strongly suggest you put on stable loads, I much preferred them to air bags.
Old 02-16-2016, 08:04 PM   #8

Motorbreath what is your rear axle weight empty? My truck was 2706lbs on the rear axles empty. That leaves 1200 lbs before putting any people, trailer, anything you want to haul in your box. Front axel too for that mater, GVWR is going to be maxed out for sure! That's a choice we all have to make on our own but if you break down the numbers it's to much trailer for that truck.
Old 02-16-2016, 08:43 PM   #9

I think it is about 2550#, not sure if I had a full tank of gas when I was on the scale, my front axle weight was 3020#. My understanding is that if you adjust your WDH properly the tongue weight is partially redistributed from the rear axle to the front axle. Really, the axle to worry about overloading is the front axle.

I do not put any substantial cargo in the bed of the truck when towing, just the basic tools I need in case I get a flat and some other conveniences, ~50-75#. My weight (275#) plus my wife and children are under 500#. Almost all cargo goes into the trailer, which has a payload capacity of >2500#.

I am going to spend some more time at the scale in April with a full tank of gas to confirm my weights from last year, but I am quite sure we at 80% or less of the truck's capacities all-around. It is important to note that most 1500s don't have payloads as high as GM's 5.3 and 6.2 V8 1500s with the 3.42 and 3.73 axles, especially the newer RAMs.

I tow the travel trailer about 5%, my car hauler another 5%, and 90% of the time I am either unloaded or lightly loaded. I am quite happy with the truck and trailer combo so far, even drove to Maine and back with it last summer without any significant drama.

Quote:
Motorbreath what is your rear axle weight empty? My truck was 2706lbs on the rear axles empty. That leaves 1200 lbs before putting any people, trailer, anything you want to haul in your box.
Old 02-16-2016, 08:56 PM   #10

My truck was 3366lbs front axle 2706 rear axle with a GVWR of 7000lbs. That was with a full tank of gas but just myself in the cab. That left under 1000lbs for tongue weight, wife kids and dog. Not possible. Sounds like your trucks weight significantly less then the 2009's did so maybe it is possible to be within the weight limit but I'd be very surprised if you where less then 80% of the limit.
Old 02-16-2016, 09:13 PM   #11

We have the same trailer and tow w/ a 2012 burb w/ towing package. We are a family of 4 and pull the trailer "dry". I haven't weighed it yet, but we don't put much other than snacks n drinks in the TV and everything else in the trailer. The burb pulls it good. I did put Mich MXS tires and max PSI them up. The burb pulls it good. Went from NC to Disney on I95 at about 60 MPH with no problems. I just stayed alert, watched for big rigs and kept her straight. I haven't pulled any serious mountains, just some foot hills with no problems.
I do want to upgrade the TV, but I feel comfortable right now.
Swinepartner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 09:31 PM   #12

I just went outside to double-check, GVWR is 7200 and payload is 1745 which comes out to a dry weight of 5455, which is just shy of what it weighed at the scales (with my daughter and some gas). I wonder how they cut the weight down of the 14+ models so much, but I do have the base trim which must be a few hundred pounds lighter than the SL and SLTs.

The front and rear GAW is actually 3950 so based on the scale measurements from last year, assuming that my family's weight (500#) goes to the front axle and the whole tongue weight (800#) goes to the rear axle:

Front Axle: 3020 + 500 = 3500 (89% capacity)
Rear Axle: 2550 + 800 = 3350 (85% capacity)
Payload: 500+800 = 1300 (74% capacity)

So you are right, I am definitely above 80% capacity of each axle, but payload is fine. Another person on the forum suggested that I increased the tongue weight a bit to see if it helps with cross winds; I am going to try this in April. I think the heaviest I would go is a 1500# payload though.

Quote:
My truck was 3366lbs front axle 2706 rear axle with a GVWR of 7000lbs. That was with a full tank of gas but just myself in the cab. That left under 1000lbs for tongue weight, wife kids and dog. Not possible. Sounds like your trucks weight significantly less then the 2009's did so maybe it is possible to be within the weight limit but I'd be very surprised if you where less then 80% of the limit.
Old 02-16-2016, 09:37 PM   #13

What it pretty much boils down to is a 1/2 ton vehicle will tow the trailer, but a 3/4 ton would definitely be a better package.

Last fall the wife and I were basically in the same position you are in. We saw the trailer and fell in love. Had to have it. Our current tow rig is her 2015 Yukon SLT, which I was a little skeptical to use to tow it but figured I would try it out. I will say I am absolutely amazed at how well this thing tows the trailer. I dont know if it is the rear air suspension, WD hitch, 22" wheels with low pro tires or a combo of a little of it all, but this thing blows my mind at how well it does. We did a few different several hundred mile trips last fall with it and never had any issues what so ever. Several windy areas... passed lots of semis... never had an issue with sway ever. Hell, I caught myself passing people in the passing lanes on several occasions. It just felt very confident.

All that being said, we are gonna be trading up for a 3/4 ton truck. It is not that I dont feel comfortable using the half ton, I just feel that it is too much trailer for it. The trailer is HEAVY.

My advice is get the trailer and tow it around a bit. If it just isnt working out for you, sell the truck and get a different one.

Best of luck with your decision! You will love the 28BHBE if you do get it!

olyelr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 09:40 PM   #14

I think we can all agree on that, its an awesome trailer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyelr View Post
Best of luck with your decision! You will love the 28BHBE if you do get it!
Old 02-16-2016, 09:50 PM   #15

I don't want this to be an argument, and like I said earlier I towed pretty much the same weight and felt like it all went well. Never once did the tail wag the dog but in my opinion if you have to ask, if you have to crunch numbers and stress about wind, it's not the right fit. Go weight your truck, if you want to know what your actual payload is. Mine was at least 500lbs less then advertised, not sure why? Box liner, mud flaps, I guess all these things add up but the numbers at the scale surprised me!!
Old 02-16-2016, 09:53 PM   #16

That is what i have but its called 287bhsw but exact floorplan, i pull it with tundra with 5.7 with no problem but my hp and torque are higher and so is my tow rating
Old 02-16-2016, 10:22 PM   #17

I think we are on the same page, I did take my truck and trailer to the scale and when disconnected it weighed 5570# versus 5455# based upon GVWR minus payload from the door sticker. I am not surprised by the extra 115#, the WDH weights almost 70# plus bedliner and some stuff in the bed.

Considering I spend maybe 15-20 hours towing the TT per year, versus 300+ hours driving while not towing, I think I made the right decision. I also think a 2500 or 3500 SRW would have similar problems with cross winds, which is why I see alot of fifth wheel TTs out there!

Quote:
I don't want this to be an argument, and like I said earlier I towed pretty much the same weight and felt like it all went well. Never once did the tail wag the dog but in my opinion if you have to ask, if you have to crunch numbers and stress about wind, it's not the right fit. Go weight your truck, if you want to know what your actual payload is. Mine was at least 500lbs less then advertised, not sure why? Box liner, mud flaps, I guess all these things add up but the numbers at the scale surprised me!!
Old 02-17-2016, 08:27 AM   #18

Slick,

Welcome and congrats on the possible new 28!!!!

As far as weighing, what you can do is load the family up, load anything you would normally carry in the bed, and throw the wdh in (bars in bed) and go weigh the truck only. That will give you a great starting pointing of knowing where you stand even before you buy the trailer...

With 1700lbs of payload, as long as you don't load a lot in the bed, the total family weight isn't on the higher side, you will probably be ok. Though that is a slightly longer trailer for double cab short bed truck's wheelbase. Just make sure the wdh is set up properly.

Your "Equalizer" hitch, is it an "Equal-I-Zer 4 way model, or are you referring to the wdh as an "equalizer" hitch? Just asking because you will want a wdh with integrated sway control...

Good luck!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanrebel View Post
That is what i have but its called 287bhsw but exact floorplan, i pull it with tundra with 5.7 with no problem but my hp and torque are higher and so is my tow rating
That is the SLX model? It is a little lighter than the Flight 28 BHBE model. Also, pulling or towing that weight even with the 5.3/6spd/3.42 is not an issue at all. It comes down to the available payload of the truck: all passengers, any cargo in the truck, the wdh, AND the tt tw (travel trailer tongue weight) all count toward the payload of the truck.

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 09:10 AM   #19

It is the equalizer 4 point with the torsion bars and sway control. Averagely it is myself , my wife and son in the truck. Although I am a big guy 6'2" 300lbs. Most of our stuff goes in the trailer. I don't carry water. Maybe a a bike and some misc. things in the bed. Also the dealer will be setting up the hitch for the new trailer.
Old 02-17-2016, 09:50 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick87SS View Post
It is the equalizer 4 point with the torsion bars and sway control. Averagely it is myself , my wife and son in the truck. Although I am a big guy 6'2" 300lbs. Most of our stuff goes in the trailer. I don't carry water. Maybe a a bike and some misc. things in the bed. Also the dealer will be setting up the hitch for the new trailer.
Lots of good points already on this thread. I've been in your shoes. We did okay for a while with my GMC 1500, but I had 300lbs less payload capacity on that 2012 truck than the 17XX lbs you mention. Mine was like 1474 IIRC according to the door placard. So I was at or over payload most of the time.

As far as setting up your WDH, your dealer will be setting it up for an empty trailer. And chances are it will still be wrong (mine was, and I've heard several people complain that theirs was as well). So be ready to adjust that WDH when you get everything loaded up. Make sure the dealer gives you all the instructions that come with it and extra washers for head tilt adjustments.

We LOVE our 28BHBE, and every time I go to an RV show, I validate our decision. Even considering 5ers and MHs, our BHBE is still the best fit for us.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jayco jayflight 28bhbe