Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-21-2015, 07:03 AM   #1

Considering switching to Jayco

We have been a long time Keystone family ( 3 years with a Zeppelin and 10 years with a 30ft Cougar). In all this time we have really enjoyed our Cougar and have had little to no problems. Due to its age we are considering trading ours in and going with the Jayco Eagle 33RETS. I've done some research and it seems like a pretty good model.

Any advice, recommendations or suggestions on both the pros/cons with Jayco are greatly appreciated.
Bmbdcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 07:17 AM   #2

Customer service is beyond amazing.
peobey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 07:25 AM   #3

About three years ago we were in the market for a new trailer and looked at a Springdale which I believe is Keystones entry level unit. We were not impressed with the fit, finish and overall quality. We did a side by side comparison with the Jayco Jayflight and the differences were obvious with Jayco the superior unit. I don't know if those differences carry through with the higher end units of both companies but I suspect they do. We are very pleased we went with Jayco.
2007 Yamaha Grizzly 400 ATV and Yamaha 2000 watt Genny
Me/retired insurance claims and DW/retired RN.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."-Red Green
dougfir1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 07:29 AM   #4

I like that Jayco uses 5/8 tongue and groove plywood instead of OSB. Of course there are pros and cons to either product but when I lift the beds to access storage and see all that nice wood, to me it feels like better quality than all the competitors and their chip board. We really liked a certain floor plan in a Montana High Country that we saw at the RV show this past winter (dreaming of course), but when I started looking a little closer I could see the level of quality seemed less than what you would see in the comparable Jayco. Things like mattress thickness on bunk beds, 'soft' stairs to the upper bedroom, etc. I know that you can get a trouble free trailer in any brand just as you can get a complete failure in any brand and any price range, but I would not be comfortable switching to another brand in the same class/price point.

We have been very pleased with our trailer and other than replacing the bathroom fan and bathroom door handle and restringing a few pleated shades, it has been completely trouble free and very solid.
Old 06-21-2015, 08:48 AM   #5

The older JAYCOs was always a great unit but when the RV Industry went for liteweight trailers they all now suffer alot...

I would just pick out the best layout for your needs... You will probably be getting newer ones in the 5-6 years anyways...
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 05:37 AM   #6

Once you are ready to buy I suggest going to RVDirect's website and building the Jayco you want. Get a quote, so you know factory prices for options, then start looking at your local Jayco dealers to see if they can come close to the RVDirect price.
usmc616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 09:09 AM   #7

For what its worth,our Eagle has endured more abuse EVERY time it leaves our drive and bounces down five miles of horrible road to the highway than many rigs suffer in a lifetime. Same on returning home. In four years it has only caused one minor problem, that being the dining table with its short, small screws into the slide floor pulled out. The table is easily stabilized else ways. I only hope our next rig is as well put together.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 09:48 AM   #8

Jayco builds a solid unit. My only annoyance has been fit and finish of the details. Little things like a bathroom door that doesn't stay closed because the latch wasn't lined up right. The trailer door that had to have it's lock readjusted to operate smoothly. Again, nothing big, but stuff you can either fix yourself or if you catch it during the PDI, have the dealer take care of it.

We're on our 3rd Jayco. A pop-up in '93 that we had for 10 years. A Kiwi 17a hybrid in '03 that we also had for 10 years. And our current X20E hybrid. All 3 were purchased new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBraddy View Post
The older JAYCOs was always a great unit but when the RV Industry went for liteweight trailers they all now suffer alot...

I would just pick out the best layout for your needs... You will probably be getting newer ones in the 5-6 years anyways...
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 05:28 AM   #9

Depending on which jayco line you go with they are usually heavier than the competitors. We have the eagle and a friend of ours bought the exact same length / floor plan in the keystone Spree. Our trailer is almost 700 lbs heavier. For me that is a positive. I wanted the heaviest duty/construction materials I could buy in a trailer.
Old 06-23-2015, 05:39 AM   #10

I believe all RV manufacturing to be the same. There will always be details to fix and repair between building and transport, things get messed up. The true difference is how that manufacturer gets it fixed.
I've owned Forest River products and now own a Jayco Precept.
I'm difficult to impress and a total skeptic. That being said, Jayco Customer Service has blown me away. Not only have they allowed me to work with them directly to get things fixed without involving the dealer (immediate headache averted) they also show true disappointment when they hear things aren't right and work hard to remedy it. Not only have they been the best RV company to stand by their product that I've seen, they've been the best company PERIOD that I've dealt with. A complete pleasure to deal with. Considering the large investment we make on these things, that is a big comfort to me, and a reminder that there are still some companies that care......very few, but some...

JoeMazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 05:41 AM   #11

My wife and I did extensive research (2 years) before we decided on Jayco. Several things appealed to us on the Jayco brand that others didn't. I liked the way the windows were installed on the Jayco as opposed to Forest River or Keystone products. A true frame under the unit was a huge plus. Having a truly walkable roof was another big seller. Yeah, others claim it too but their roofs aren't manufactured as well as the Jayco. Insulation was a big thing with us as well. When I first opened the door to our Eagle, I noticed it's heft and thickness. Didn't see them on comparable brands. Similar but not exact. The solidity of the slide walls to me is incomparable in the industry. The Glacier Pkg is a huge plus in my opinion. Regardless if you plan on utilizing it, it's nice to know you can. Above all, the floorplan had to be THE ONE. This 328 fit the bill perfect. Yeah I could've went smaller but, ya know, I like this beast.

Have fun, be picky and ask questions till you're blue in the face!

Good Luck!
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 11:24 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmbdcj View Post
We have been a long time Keystone family ( 3 years with a Zeppelin and 10 years with a 30ft Cougar). In all this time we have really enjoyed our Cougar and have had little to no problems. Due to its age we are considering trading ours in and going with the Jayco Eagle 33RETS. I've done some research and it seems like a pretty good model.

Any advice, recommendations or suggestions on both the pros/cons with Jayco are greatly appreciated.
DON'T ......We are so disappointed in out Jayco. Had it less than a month ,ready to take it back to dealer.
chasthomp47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 11:32 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasthomp47 View Post
DON'T ......We are so disappointed in out Jayco. Had it less than a month ,ready to take it back to dealer.
So why are you 'so disapponted'? Had it less than a month?

No manufacturer builds units without faults but if we were to ever upgrade it would be another Jayco.

2012 Pinnacle 36KPTS - Kitchen Pantry Triple Slide
Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Larry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 11:44 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasthomp47 View Post
Welcome to the forum, but sorry to hear that you are disappointed.

Jayco has a 2 year warranty. Don't just complain for the next 23 months, take it back to the dealer.

Please help others reading posts on this forum by being specific about WHY you are disappointed.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 02:24 PM   #15

We love our Jayco

We love our 2015 Eagle 30RKDS! After extensive research, we narrowed our search to the Cougar and the Jayco (both had the rear kitchen/front bedroom configuration we wanted). After comparing the fit, finish and price we chose Jayco and have been so pleased! The customer service has been fantastic and the trailer is solid, sturdy and beautiful.
Old 06-25-2015, 02:56 PM   #16

I like Jayco, and have had great service, fixed little things that in my opinion, I should pay for. I think one additional thing you should strongly consider is the dealer you are working with. Some dealers are fabulous, they bend over backwards to help and ensure you are not inconvenience, others seam like they just want your initial sale and just do not care or have the knowledge to properly fix anything on a timely schedule. Some dealers do not want to deal with any unit that that was not purchased from them.

Point being, research your local dealership.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 06:24 PM   #17

We have gotten two different Jayco trailers from our dealer, which is small and family owned. Very happy with trailers and the dealer.

Dealers are not required to do warrantee work on trailers not purchase from them.
Get a quote from RV Direct and then go negotiate with a dealer that you like. You will pay a little more but it will be worth while to have the service of a trusted dealer.
2010 Jayco JayFlight 26BH sold
Yamaha EF2000is Generators (2)
1996 Honda CB750 Nighthawk
Nighthawk 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 08:20 PM   #18

We are on our second Jayco and both of them have been great campers! I love the two year warranty which gives you some peace of mind and I feel they are built a bit nicer than many other brands. It also helps that our dealer is awesome to deal with and they treat you like family.
Old 08-25-2015, 08:55 PM   #19

Be careful with Hybrids.
clayusnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 09:39 PM   #20

I have a Jayco Eagle and after shopping other makers the Eagles finishing was beyond everything else in the same price range. You find the same appliances from manufacture xxx in all the TT's so fit and finish separates. Love my Eagle.
2000 F250SD SRW 7.3 LB Extended Cab Air Bags
2002 Western Star 4900EX 500 Detroit 13sp.
2014 Eagle 30.5BHLT (sold)
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote