Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-16-2020, 01:37 PM   #1

Question Considering Trading in and Buying New - Need Advice!!!

Hello,

We bought our first TT last year (a 2019 Jay Feather 27BH) and after a handful of trips, a few things about the trailer layout frustrate me, so I am considering trading it in for a 2020 Jay Fight 28BHS. The things I like about the Jay Flight are the full "U" dining seat, sofa and dining area swapped (sofa near the bunks) and the "entertainment" center in front of the sofa... The larger fresh water tank is a plus too!!!

Anyway, I have no idea what to expect on trade-in values... The trailers are a similar MSRP new, and I know that as soon as I took the old one off of the lot it lost value, but how much?

I don't dislike the 27BH enough to take a $15K loss between the two but I have no idea what might be considered "normal."

Thanks!!!
Kevin80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 01:50 PM   #2

I would get ready to take a real bath on that 27BH.

Dealers go REALLY low on trade-ins. We lost what I consider to be a lot on ours, but there are a lot of factors in play. Not the least of which is the amount of effort and time it takes to sell a unit private-party. But our trailer was 4 years old, and we weren't upside down in it.

At the end of the day, we made a deal I could live with...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 03:37 PM   #3

I would call a dealer or two and get a ball park figure and tell them what you want to do.
If you can't come to terms try selling yours privately.
mokurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 03:57 PM   #4

Plan on the TT they told you was the best is now for some reason not the best. You'll take a big hit. Depending on how much you got off MSRP will determine how bad of a hit you'll take. If you got a killer deal at 35-40% off then you will be okay. If you only got 20% off then plan on making up the difference or rolling it into the new TT loan. Problem with that is you're now way upside down.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 05:18 PM   #5

We did the same thing from a 2017 hybrid to a 2019 Whitehawk. We took a good hit on the 2017, but made a decent deal on the 2019 as it was considered used due to the fact that it was shown in one RV show.

2019 Whitehawk 28RL
2018 Ford F150 3.5 Ecoboost w/3.55

Dennis, Cindy, Philip, and Sarah
Ohiofinlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 06:28 PM   #6

I watch a commercial the other day. They kept adding cost on their credit card. The bottom line is your happiness. "Priceless"

If your looking to get the most for the trade-in than sell it from your backyard. Advertise is everywhere. Even on Face Book.

I did a lot of modifications on mine so when trading I expected to answer a lot of questions. Even put in new TVs and toilet's. The sales rep looked at it for 15sec max. Peeked in the bathroom and the bedroom. Walked from front to back. Never operated anything. And yea I thought it was worth a lot more than what they offered. Now I know why he didn't care about the assessment.

Although I did get a very, very good deal on the unit I purchased and yes my happiness is "Priceless" too.

Good Luck.

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 06:35 PM   #7
CAG

Quote:
Anyway, I have no idea what to expect on trade-in values..
Wholesale minus 10% if your lucky.

I don't trade in anything if I can sell it especially RVs. My experience is that you get a royal screwing with trades. RV dealers are the worst for trades. They quoted me $13,000 for the 2011 Heartland Cyclone, that looked pretty much like the day we bought it. I sold it for $29,000.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 08:09 PM   #8

Let us know when you get a number. I'm guessing less than 50% of MSRP.

That's precisely why I purchased at practically a steal price a used trailer. I had it two years and sold it for what I paid for it, although I did have a few hundred dollars in extras. I was pretty sure, never having owned a trailer before, that anything I bought would not be what I would want a year or two down the road. That proved to be true.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 08:27 PM   #9

The dealer will go low bluebook and maybe a little lower. They don't care about the things that were done to it. Now when somebody comes in and looks at it at the dealer the dealer will bring up all the inprovements that were made to so the dealer can get more money.
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 02:41 PM   #10

Here are the #'s, as they stand today.

Purchase of the 27BH last year..., MSRP (according to Jayco) was around $40K, we paid $25K with the 4-point equalizer included (around the 65% I read was "average".)

Dealer # 1 (that I bought the unit from), offered $18,500 for a trade-in. New unit price of $34K... so a net of +$15,500K (plus the remaining balance of the loan on the 27BH.)

Dealer # 2, offered $15K for the trade-in with a new unit price of $25K... so a net of +$10K (and also the remaining balance on the original 27BH purchase.)

The new 28BHS has an MSRP similar to the 27BH, so if I got that down to around $25K with the original dealer (around the 65% of MSRP I got last year), I could possibly end up in a +$7K situation, if they went no higher on the trade-in.

Another thing is I've done a few mods to the 27BH, the biggest of which are electric stabilizers and a slide-out topper (about $2K just in those 2 things).

Anyway, and I apologize for the long post as I am kind of thinking out-loud but, what I may do is look for a "slightly used" 28BHS next year to avoid buying new again. I've read that RV's depreciate the most in their first year (almost everything does as soon as you drive it off the lot but RV's are more dramatic in year one and level out after that) so my 27BH shouldn't depreciate a ton more but I can lessen the blow by not buying a new 28BHS (let someone else take the blow on that one, like I am on the 27BH
Old 01-17-2020, 02:54 PM   #11

Oh my. I'd be less concerned about what you are losing than walking into a new loan upside down.

Many years ago we traded a '92 GMC Safari for a 2000 Pontiac Montana mini-van. I loved that Safari and wanted another one. My wife didn't. So we got the mini-van. The min-van had some nice features though. It was comfortable, towed our pop-up camper better than the Safari, got great mileage, and had an amazing sound system.

One year after we bought it we were talking one day and she revealed to me that she actually hated the mini-van. We both realized that we just were not mini-van people. This was the only vehicle we have even purchased without a down payment. To trade it after a year would have created a VERY upside down loan. We sucked it up for 3 more years, paid it off early and got rid of it.

So you have to ask yourself, do you really want to be upside down on this and take the chance that nothing will happen to your income, or just live with it for now and be in a better position in a few years?
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 03:46 PM   #12
CAG

This is pretty much a case of adding whatever you buy the new unit to what you have left to pay on the one you are paying on. It really never comes out well when you are upside down and use that vehicle as a trade. You have already lost the depreciation that you mention, now you will take a hit on the depreciation of the new one and still have payments.

Just me, but I would either stick it out until the first one is paid off or sell it, pay off the loan and then go shopping.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 04:06 PM   #13

Yep, it's the depreciation on unit #2 that has me changing my mind.

We actually put a fair amount down the first time, so even with the worst case scenario of +15K (0% chance I would ever take that deal), I still wouldn't be over the MSRP (although noone ever pays MSRP) but I would be close and as soon as that 1st year depreciation is factored in, I would upside down for sure.

If I got dealer # 1 down to $25K on the 28BHS (same 65% I paid last year), I would be +$7K on that one and with the $25K I paid on the 27BH I am at $32K for my overall camper spend. The $25K on the 27BH is already gone so I have to ask myself is the $7K (plus whatever time I'd need to spend to make it happen) worth it for the change.

And right now, that answer is no.

I may look at the private sale avenue in the future, which would almost certainly close the "$7K gap" but then that also takes time so who knows.... And I will definitely explore "gently used" campers more the second time around.

Thanks for the help and insight everyone.
Old 01-18-2020, 05:57 PM   #14

now is the time to put it on the market... people start getting antsy once the weather turns... boat shows starting, rv shows starting.. tell them you will store it till April 1st...

good luck...

the "extras" are just that and of no value to any dealer... the insurance company won't count them either..
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote