Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-07-2020, 08:21 AM   #21

We had a similar perplexing problem this year. Went through the same routine, inspecting and filling all possible entry points with steel wool. Finally found some chewing on the foam sealant around the exterior fridge exhaust on the side of the trailer. The vent holes in the plastic grate are more than adequate for a mouse. We figured they climbed the wheels, then onto the gas line to the BBQ, and did a "hail mary" leap to the grate. I got some aluminum door screen, cut it to fit the grate on the inside and attached with tape so that I can remove it when necessary. So far, no recurring issues. We also use glue traps on the inside for extra insurance.
gwncanuck66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 08:28 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwncanuck66 View Post
We had a similar perplexing problem this year. Went through the same routine, inspecting and filling all possible entry points with steel wool. Finally found some chewing on the foam sealant around the exterior fridge exhaust on the side of the trailer. The vent holes in the plastic grate are more than adequate for a mouse. We figured they climbed the wheels, then onto the gas line to the BBQ, and did a "hail mary" leap to the grate. I got some aluminum door screen, cut it to fit the grate on the inside and attached with tape so that I can remove it when necessary. So far, no recurring issues. We also use glue traps on the inside for extra insurance.
The glue boards I use (for other purposes) smell like peanut butter, I would think it acts as some sort of attractant. I wouldn't use those traps inside your unit, you'd entice them inside with the attractant applied to the glue board!
freetime58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 09:36 AM   #23

Dryer sheets! We has our 5 wheel at a farm and I spent 3 days cleaning. Never again! Was told put dryer sheers around mice can’t stand the smell. Works no more mice. Put them around the motor on my OTurn mower.
campersam9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 09:18 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by freetime58 View Post
The glue boards I use (for other purposes) smell like peanut butter, I would think it acts as some sort of attractant. I wouldn't use those traps inside your unit, you'd entice them inside with the attractant applied to the glue board!
They have unscented one's
Zenar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 06:12 AM   #25

I tried dryer sheets years ago. Had more mice than ever with droppings on the sheets! We've been using Fresh Cab for quite a few years now. This last year we had one mouse come through and leave a few droppings but that was it. I'll be buying more for this next winter.
gloryb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 07:26 AM   #26

I put Tom Cat bait traps on the ground around the trailer, to kill them before they get in the camper. One large rat size, and a couple of small mice size. for sure place next to any part of trailer that touches the ground, that is where they have to climb up. I also put some inside the trailer, wherever I think is a possible entrance point. have never had any inside. outside bait has been nibbled, never any inside.
that's my two cents worth........
Old 09-09-2020, 12:15 PM   #27

We had that issue with our 2008 30U we just sold. I got under it and replaced ALL of the heater ducts (really cheap indoor dryer vent pipe from Jayco) with solid ducts. They were coming in through those.... AND the two HUGE 4" holes next to our heater in an enclosed area. Once I was done, I never saw another mouse, evidence of one, or a snake (yeah, we had a snake skin in the front pass through). We have a new 2021 30QB on order and I hope I don't have to go through all that again but I will look and take care of it BEFORE they find out there is a new apartment complex on the property they can move into.
YZFDonor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 12:31 PM   #28

We have the same problem - we have tried the dryer sheets. They helped, but we still got mice over the winter. Now, we also have a chipmunk issue. Last weekend, I saw him climb up the stabilizer jack and disappear to the underbelly of the 5th wheel. We searched everywhere underneath and inside - I have no idea where he went. We also found a few acorns inside the camper that weren't there the week before.

Our camper is in a campground in N. Wisconsin - lots of woods around. We store it there over the winter. Unfortunately, it's 3-1/2 hours away, so we can't use something that needs to be replaced frequently (sticky boards, traps, etc)....we are at our wits end.
firerose617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 12:36 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notrag View Post
I am totally at my wit's end trying to get rid of mice. Never had mice until last winter. We have plugged every hole we can think of under the camper. I believe they're coming in where the slide is. I can't caulk or foam that area though, obviously, because of the need for the slide to go in and out. When it is out I believe it is good when it is pulled in I believe the rubber flap leaves an area for the mice to come in. I tried stainless steel wool and somehow they are still getting in. I don't know if taking it to a jayco service center would help. Maybe somebody has some other ideas?
Something I tried a few years ago that seems to have worked well as a barrier was drywall sanding screens. They seemed to have held up well over time. I used staple gun to affix as well as an adhesive. They can be cut to fit tight around pipes. Then sealed around them.
Click image for larger version

Name:	sDQaum.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	63364
alwalk63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 12:48 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notrag View Post
I am totally at my wit's end trying to get rid of mice. Never had mice until last winter. We have plugged every hole we can think of under the camper. I believe they're coming in where the slide is. I can't caulk or foam that area though, obviously, because of the need for the slide to go in and out. When it is out I believe it is good when it is pulled in I believe the rubber flap leaves an area for the mice to come in. I tried stainless steel wool and somehow they are still getting in. I don't know if taking it to a jayco service center would help. Maybe somebody has some other ideas?
Get glue boards from Lowe’s, HD, or Amazon. Put them inside and outside. Use lots.
Marmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 12:50 PM   #31
Lost in the Woods

All the snake oil mentioned is not going to deter them. You have to find out where they are coming in from or you will never get rid of them. Mine were climbing up the power wire and getting in. Under the shower is another spot where they have easy access. pull out your distribution panel and take a look behind it where the wires come in.
Any holes need to be stuffed with stainless steel wool then covered in spray foam.
When in storage, put out a dozen mechanical traps baited with either peanut butter or a small piece of chicken seared with a lighter. I also lay out 10-15 sticky traps along the inside walls. I like sticky traps because I want these little buggers to suffer for all the damage they've caused me over the years.
Danno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 01:35 PM   #32

I sure hope you find a solution. For several years I parked our trailer in an open-ended shed right next to a hay barn which was attached to three horse stalls. Mice were all over the place. Never a single one in the trailer. never could understand that. They would get in the house a hundred yards away every fall but nothing in the trailer.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 01:37 PM   #33

I have 5-6 barn cats that stay in my shed around camper....that seems to work well.
SlawDawg69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 02:14 PM   #34

Bucket trap

I use a bucket trap. It works. In the winter I put 2 inches of old motor oil in the bucket. It wont freeze and it kills any smell from the dead mice.
Superseneca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 03:04 PM   #35

We have our TT permanently set up in a family oriented private park in Ontario. This year everyone in our camp and other camps in the district are experiencing a big mouse infestation. Also squirrels. After three successive nights of catching two mice each night in regular traps outside under the trailer I brought out an old bucket trap I had at home in a storage shed. First night i got 12 mice. That was a week ago. Since that night i have only caught three mice. However the bucket trap tin can has had the peanut butter licked clean a couple of times so I'm guessing a bigger critter is now coming to the bait. So I have invented a new bucket trap using a length of 4" diameter metal duct. Haven't finished making it yet but will post a picture or two when done. So far no mice in the trailer. Fingers crossed.
Cheers to all
CBCOCRBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 03:08 PM   #36

Hi its Rick again, I use about 3' of RV antifreeze in my bucket trap. Works great. Cheers
CBCOCRBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 04:18 PM   #37

My solution to the slide out rail openings is this:

I balled up aluminum foil and wrapped it around the rails at the opening. Then spray foamed.
It kept them out over the winter. No more problems.

Super easy to remove, just pull foil it all comes out as one piece.

I also place non baited plastic traps in all the corners, you do not want to bait inside, as it attracts them in. If they come in, they run all the walls and I always get them at the corner passing a non baited trap.
rdrector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 04:42 PM   #38

Bounce dyer sheets everywhere. Mice hate the smell
nynethead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 05:26 PM   #39

If they get inside, use the old basic wooden rat trap baited with a piece of Slim-Jim. That's like crack for rats! Stainless steel or bronze pot scrubbers, not steel wool, because it'll rust, used with foam in all the access areas. "That Great Stuff" brand foam has a formula labeled as "Pest Block" that must taste like crap to them and they'll stay away from it.
Bugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 05:38 PM   #40

Dryer sheets, peppermint oil, dog hair, human hair, pee in the closet....yada, yada, yada.......all sworn by and all worthless.

You have a hole. Fill the hole and no more rodents.

Mouse-proofing consists of looking at every square inch of the trailer - top to bottom - side to side.....and leaving nowhere unturned.

Just a tip - if you have a chimney, cover it with a screen.

My buddy has rats in every trailer he ever owned. We have none. Mouse proofing.....
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote