Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-18-2020, 07:22 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticky58 View Post
we`ve had mice the odd time,last year they ate the irish spring soap,moth balls,drank the anti-freeze left in the toilet,so this season when i opened,I washed everything in the two cabnets with spray nine and then rewashed with bleach and water,bought a roll of flashing tape and sealed every hole underneath,taped the plastic liner to the frame,taped the access doors closed,then went inside and wrapped seran wrapr around wires,water line at acces to caabnet holes and foam gapped the hole closed,water and wires travel from electic panel to kitchen cabnet and all the way to tub,all were isolated and foamed,going to put all dishes,silverware etc in a plastic sealed bin,they only got in two cabnets,so I`m hoping this works,man they even ate steel wool,just need to figure a cover for furnaceexhaust,funny my friend in the other end of the park has never had them,the only thing next is to fiqure a way to close at bottom of tip outs
Something like this will work for the furnace. It’s what I did to the furnace, fridge, and hot water covers
Camco 42141 RV Flying Insect Screen - FUR 200 - 2 Pack https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00192JFBI/..._WmlzFbSVN26G2
Zenar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 10:08 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsmjim View Post
All of the anecdotes are simply that. If a mouse is cold or hungry, nothing will deter them if he has access thru a hole somewhere.

If anyone has success for years and years, its because they don't have any holes.....LOL.
This, there is no other solution. They’ve eaten my Irish Spring soap, made nests with dryer sheets, and eaten Fresh Cab when hungry enough. Then I got smart and put the work into sealing the camper up. We have a shared property that 2 other friends and I share with a pedestal for each camper surrounding a central workshop on 14 acres of woods. I had my camper first, and I crawled underneath and sealed every single crack and crevice with steel wool and foam. Then went inside and looked under and behind every cabinet, bed, and couch sealing any and all holes with steel and foam. Then I went around and installed the screens over every vent (fridge, furnace, hot water heater). I double checked everything to make sure there wasn’t a damn chance a mouse would get in. I then put Fresh Cab inside just in case I missed something (and honestly like the smell). Not a mouse in 4 years. The next friend got his camper 2 years ago. We pulled it off the dealer lot and tag teamed his camper doing the exact same thing I did to mine. He’s not had a single mouse in his camper and his camper sits in the woods full time. Enter the third friend, he’s had his camper at another property and has had mice tear up his camper 2 times now. He moved it out to the afore mentioned property and this last weekend he again had mice issues (a family of them moved in and made themselves at home). Our campers all sit about 40-50’ apart from each other so location isn’t the issue. I asked him if he’d ever foamed and sealed everything and he admitted he hadn’t. He just keeps trying all the “snake oil” methods and setting dozens of traps. I tried to get him to got buy some foam and I’d help him but he wanted to go 4-wheeling instead. You can lead a horse to water.....
You have to put in the work and effort to stop them. If not your just rolling the dice.
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 10:50 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwby View Post
He just keeps trying all the “snake oil” methods and setting dozens of traps. I tried to get him to got buy some foam and I’d help him but he wanted to go 4-wheeling instead. You can lead a horse to water.....
You have to put in the work and effort to stop them. If not your just rolling the dice.
Same scenario - 3 trailers on adjoining properties. One campsite has had mice literally destroy every trailer ever put there. Never crawled underneath or did any mouse-proofing. Ours has not had an issue......except once.

Late in the Fall one year we went camping for the weekend and found a nest under the pillows, with enough nuts and berries for the whole Winter. The roll of paper towels was half eaten and formed the basis for the nest. Then I observed paper towel pieces in the furnace hot air vent. Went up on the roof and took off the Chinese hat off the chimney and found that the screen had rusted through and was hanging down. A piece of fine mesh screen, a few rivets and 10 minutes work and that was the first and last mouse we ever saw.

It just goes to show you that mouse-proofing requires investigating everywhere. In my defense that trailer was 50 years old at the time. Now I know to check chimneys too!!
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote