Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-09-2020, 05:59 PM   #41

Pure Peppermint Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by freetime58 View Post
Peppermint oil on cotton swabs will deter them.

My family has a total of 3 RV's stored at my dad's barn which is in the middle of a large field. We have had 6 winters in a row now where all 3 RV's had no mice in them. We use a combination of plug-in noise makers that are sub or super sonic with varying freq. and peppermint oil in small bowls with rice. Rice absorbs the oil and slows down the evaporation. you need pure peppermint oil and lots of it. In my Jayco Jayfeather 29N, I use 4 bowls throughout the trailer. The idea is you need the odor of the peppermint oil to overpower the mice since of smell and deter them from wanting to go inside the trailer. That with the audio causes two of their senses to be disabled and will not be able to smell or hear a predator.
cmg1558 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 06:03 PM   #42

I have posted numerous times. Scent tags sprayed with bobcat pee will keep them away. On my Forth year doing this at my camp and not one mice turd on my deck or furniture or inside. Not saying it will never happen but I tried everything and DW was ready to leave. I spray the landing gear jacks and cords and around tires every two weeks and not a turd found.
2016 Pinnacle FBTS Traded
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 06:03 PM   #43

All of the anecdotes are simply that. If a mouse is cold or hungry, nothing will deter them if he has access thru a hole somewhere.

If anyone has success for years and years, its because they don't have any holes.....LOL.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 06:04 PM   #44

Hi there. I have had quite a few trailers and have them in quite a few different places even out on a farm. The first trailer we had got mice and what I have done since is the regular Irish spring soap bars everywhere, Bounce sheets all in the inside. But the thing I find that works the best is actually putting the steel wool right on the jack where it touches the ground. Then same thing around the tires where they touch the ground. After the steel wool is in place I grab a couple cans of garden Sulphur and sprinkle it around any area that touch the ground. This all being said is when it’s parked all winter long.
Famjamcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 06:39 AM   #45

Fresh cab repellent. Think most other suggestions noted are worthless and often messy.
LarryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 07:48 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notrag View Post
I am totally at my wit's end trying to get rid of mice. Never had mice until last winter. We have plugged every hole we can think of under the camper. I believe they're coming in where the slide is. I can't caulk or foam that area though, obviously, because of the need for the slide to go in and out. When it is out I believe it is good when it is pulled in I believe the rubber flap leaves an area for the mice to come in. I tried stainless steel wool and somehow they are still getting in. I don't know if taking it to a jayco service center would help. Maybe somebody has some other ideas?
There is some type of electrical deterrent. You plug it in... maybe you can make it battery operated?

People swear by them.
Dansemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 11:13 AM   #47

Plugged openings with steel wool, and went heavy with moth balls. So far so good. It does take a while during the season to air it out though.
O'Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 05:22 PM   #48
TOS

I foamed everything I could visualize and still had mice problems, out in the country on 10 acres too.
I came up with this and it has worked for me.. 10 in. aluminum flashing material w/ hem on each end. Easy to connect/disconnect. However, the rig is parked on level concrete.
Well, for some reason I can't access my photos to share.....
I used 10 inch. aluminum flashing material from hardware store. Put a 360 degree hem on each end to encircle the 4 wheels on my camper, it worked!
Old 09-11-2020, 03:41 PM   #49

No trailer is 100% hole proof. They just need a small opening. We have 3 English setters so poison is out.
We have had very good luck with dryer sheets. No mice in over 8 years.
campersam9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 05:37 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by campersam9 View Post
No trailer is 100% hole proof. They just need a small opening. We have 3 English setters so poison is out.
We have had very good luck with dryer sheets. No mice in over 8 years.
That's right....just a small opening.

Mouse-proofing means inspecting every square inch of the trailer, top to bottom, side to side, to locate and seal those small openings.

Obviously, it's a daunting task and that's why many people don't have the wherewithal to do the task. It means crawling underneath and getting all dirty.....LOL.

Of all the snake oil treatments that are commented on, dryer sheets are the most maligned.

If your snake oil works as a preventative, I propose that you have no small openings in the first place.
Old 09-12-2020, 08:32 AM   #51
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by nynethead View Post
Bounce dyer sheets everywhere. Mice hate the smell
Doesn't work. They make nests out of it.
Danno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 08:34 AM   #52
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock View Post
I have posted numerous times. Scent tags sprayed with bobcat pee will keep them away. On my Forth year doing this at my camp and not one mice turd on my deck or furniture or inside. Not saying it will never happen but I tried everything and DW was ready to leave. I spray the landing gear jacks and cords and around tires every two weeks and not a turd found.
I tried that once, but ended up needing 30 stitches. ;-)
Danno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 07:49 AM   #53

We have a Jayco Eagle -- not real familiar with the leaf springs. Where are they located? Thanks.
dgrillo02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 08:43 AM   #54

Leaf springs are the curved metal bands behind each wheel that support the RV. Here is a youtube on replacement that lets you see what the they are and where they are at.
I personally prefer to block all the holes through the bottom or sides with stainless steel wool and foam and then go inside all the cabinets and block them from the inside. Then put wasp proof mesh over all the outside vents.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 09:13 AM   #55

What do leaf springs have to do with mice?
Old 09-16-2020, 09:58 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsmjim View Post
What do leaf springs have to do with mice?
Maximum mouse occupancy from the factory is one family (2 adults/4 minors). If you exceed that # you must upgrade the load carrying capacity...more leaf springs are one way this can be accomplished.
Oldmanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 12:05 PM   #57

but then the tires need to be upgraded.. then the axles and then the brakes... it just NEVER ends!!!!
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 03:21 PM   #58

It's funny. This week 2 threads I have been watching on different forums have been spammed by outsiders with no previous history.
Old 09-16-2020, 08:15 PM   #59
Site Team

MODERATOR'S NOTE:

It appears that we got a little off topic here with the unexpected question on leaf springs. The question was answered, and we had a little fun with with it afterwards, Let's get back to the thread's discussion topic, "Continued mice problems". My cat has been reading all the posts in the hopes that someone will post a want ad for her mouse catching service.

Enjoy the forums!

Frank (FPM III)
JOF Moderator

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 08:35 PM   #60

hoping no mice this year

we`ve had mice the odd time,last year they ate the irish spring soap,moth balls,drank the anti-freeze left in the toilet,so this season when i opened,I washed everything in the two cabnets with spray nine and then rewashed with bleach and water,bought a roll of flashing tape and sealed every hole underneath,taped the plastic liner to the frame,taped the access doors closed,then went inside and wrapped seran wrapr around wires,water line at acces to caabnet holes and foam gapped the hole closed,water and wires travel from electic panel to kitchen cabnet and all the way to tub,all were isolated and foamed,going to put all dishes,silverware etc in a plastic sealed bin,they only got in two cabnets,so I`m hoping this works,man they even ate steel wool,just need to figure a cover for furnaceexhaust,funny my friend in the other end of the park has never had them,the only thing next is to fiqure a way to close at bottom of tip outs
Sticky58 is offline   Reply With Quote