Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-21-2015, 08:04 AM   #1

Converted from one 12v battery to two 6v batteries.

So, we found out that the supplied battery on out Trailer was dreadfully inadequate the hard way. The first step in our power overhaul was to upgrade our batteries. Eventually, we will be adding solar and a inverter. I made a slide show to document our project.

https://youtu.be/Szf5DIvyl3M
PNWDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 12:07 PM   #2
Site Team

GREAT VIDEO!!! Nice job!!!

Not all the TT's are set up like this, but I lucked out.
I took a different approach to the battery mounting challenge. I decided that since the lower battery tray fit the size 27 battery box how could I modify the upper battery tray to fit a size 27 battery box. This is what I came up with... I cut a portion of the forward battery tray's frame to accommodate the larger size 27 battery box. But the Trojan T-145 batteries did not sit well under the top of the size 27 box. So I purchased 2 more (a total of 4) size 27 boxes from Camping World and mounted 2 in the trays. The second 2 I cut the bottoms out of them and removed the handles. I then slid the modified boxes into the mounted ones and it gave me approximately 2 additional inches in height. Plenty of room for the T-145 batteries. Drilled a few holes to route the cables.

My original plan was to remove the LP tanks from the front LP compartment, build a frame inside to accommodate 4 to 6 batteries, and purchase the LP exterior mounted covers (standard on a lot of TT's) and move the LP tanks to the front of the frame just behind the tongue jack... toooooo much work. DW was not a big fan of this option. Would have been nice and a little more secure.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
Battery Boxes Converted.jpg   Battery Boxes with new cables.jpg  
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 03:21 PM   #3

Thanks for the kind words. I saw your project right before I posted mine and thought it was pretty slick. I was grasping at straws when I first decided to do this. Once we decided on the double box it kinda dictated the following steps. I like it because it gives a bit more room to access the propane .
PNWDriver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, battery, mod, power