Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-04-2022, 05:29 PM   #1

Converter and lithium

Hey all,

I have a 2021 27bh. My converter is a WF-8540. I just purchased a 200ah SOK lithium battery to replace my two 100ah lead acid. I know some converters are only capable of charging a lithium up to around 85%. I’ve been trying to call wfco multiple times a day for the last 2 days and can’t get through. They’re now closed for the weekend, so wondering if anyone knows for sure how this converter handles lithium. A buddy with a forest River trailer just swapped out his converter upon wfco advice, but he had a simple deck mounted one. Mine basically IS the fuse box, so there’s a lot more to deal with. Hoping it’s good to go. Any info helps.

Thanks!
TahoePowder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 06:19 PM   #2

Right from their web-site:

Battery Adaptability
AGM, Lead Acid

https://wfcoelectronics.com/product/wf-8540/
Old 02-04-2022, 07:58 PM   #3
EJH

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoePowder View Post
Hey all,

I have a 2021 27bh. My converter is a WF-8540. I just purchased a 200ah SOK lithium battery to replace my two 100ah lead acid. I know some converters are only capable of charging a lithium up to around 85%. I’ve been trying to call wfco multiple times a day for the last 2 days and can’t get through. They’re now closed for the weekend, so wondering if anyone knows for sure how this converter handles lithium. A buddy with a forest River trailer just swapped out his converter upon wfco advice, but he had a simple deck mounted one. Mine basically IS the fuse box, so there’s a lot more to deal with. Hoping it’s good to go. Any info helps.

Thanks!
Most likely yours does not support lithium, but the full part number would be needed to confirm. Can you please post that here?

If you need to replace the converter, look at the WF-8540-AD. It is a newer version of the WF-8540 that works with lead acid and lithium.

The other option you have is to keep the current converter (it won't harm lithium) and use solar to top off the lithium, assuming you have solar (just change your charge controller to lithium). You can also use a stand alone lithium battery charger for times when you don't want to wait for solar, or don't have good sun. Victron, Renogy, etc make plug in chargers for $100-150.
Old 02-05-2022, 08:06 AM   #4

Had a long discussion with Renogy Solar tech. Renogy also sells lithium batteries as well as solar setups. Per Renogy using a lead battery converter will not harm a lithium battery but will only bring it up to 80 to 90 % charge. As above, either a solar setup or a separate lithium battery charger to top it off is possible but not actually required.

My older Group 27 has maybe 35 usable amps. Even at 80% a 100 amp lithium will have 80 available amps! And weigh less than half a 27 plus I can put it inside safely.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 02:59 PM   #5

As others have mentioned that will charge it to 75-80% and IF you have solar (you dont mention that so not sure) then it can in correct conditions charge it back up. But it may not depending upon use, I saw this with personal experence.

WFCO is awesome to work with, call them, they will get a tech on the phone with you if you need it.

You have three options as I see it.
1. Add solar if not already there to top off and hope you dont use the energy faster than it can recharge.

2. Swap out the power center with a newer one that supports lithium which would allow your generator or some other source to charge it completely.

3. If you are looking into an inverter and a larger solar system and more batteries. Leave as is, turn off the breaker, and install a hybrid inverter like the Victron or Xantrex. Both have options that have auto transfer switches and chargers (much larger ones than in the power center from WFCO). These might give you more options and faster charge, i.e. shorter gen run etc... But comes at a $$$$ (and yes it is thousands)
Old 02-09-2022, 03:13 PM   #6

Update

Hey All,

Thanks for the great feedback here. I contacted WFCO and wanted to post an update for future searchers to reference.

WFCO essentially said the same thing as has been posted above. My current converter will charge it to around 80%. I do have a single GoPower 190W panel which they said will certainly help in ideal situations. They said 300w of solar will get you much closer to a ful charge than 190W. He said I could test it out for a while with the single solar panel to see how it goes, and replace the converter if I find it necessary. I’ve decided to go ahead and replace it anyway (half the spots I camp at end up with significant tree shade).

I only need to replace the converter part of my power module, which is Wf-8540-ad-mba. Seems like a simple enough swap so I think it’s worth it.

Cheers
TahoePowder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
converter, lithium