Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-09-2019, 06:11 PM   #1

Converter Fan ??

I have a total of seven interior lights. One over the kitchen sink and three over the bed that turn on by a switch on the light. Two in the living area turn on by a switch by the door.

ONLY when the two in the living area are turned on (with the switch by the door), I hear what I think is the converter fan. When these two lights are off and the other ones are on I do not hear the fan.

This is my seventh season and I don't recall hearing the fan before. Also, why only when these two lights are used?

The trailer is a 2013 Jayco JayFlight 22FB. Never had a problem since purchased new.

Comments please.
WayneG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 06:51 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneG View Post
I have a total of seven interior lights. One over the kitchen sink and three over the bed that turn on by a switch on the light. Two in the living area turn on by a switch by the door.

ONLY when the two in the living area are turned on (with the switch by the door), I hear what I think is the converter fan. When these two lights are off and the other ones are on I do not hear the fan.

This is my seventh season and I don't recall hearing the fan before. Also, why only when these two lights are used?

The trailer is a 2013 Jayco JayFlight 22FB. Never had a problem since purchased new.

Comments please.
Are the two lights that cause the fan noise the same type/model as the other lights?
2001 Dodge 3500 dually
Xboaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 07:30 AM   #3

I assume that you may not have LED lights that draw much more amperage than LED type lights and the heavy draw could be enough to cause the fan to run. One way to tell if they are LED is by the heat they produce when on, there is sugnificantly more heat produced by incandecent lights. You may want to do a conversion to LED.
Moderator on Hi-Lo Trailer Forum
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 08:02 AM   #4

It cold also be that if your battery is old it is trying to keep it charged and the total number of lights makes it run just enough to heat up and turn on the fan.

Like computer fans and in fact any fan attached to equipment it needs to be cleaned from time to time. Dust bunnies, etc. build up on the blades and in the cooling fins. Take a look with a strong flashlight and maybe give it a good cleaning while off. That would also be a good time to clean your fire alarm with computer air duster.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 08:13 AM   #5

The original light bulbs draw significant current and generate a ton of heat. I recall my converter fan coming on with just a couple lights turned on as well. After switching to LED bulbs, I can turn just about all of them on without the fan coming on.

Are the bulbs in the living area the same ones as the rest of them?
Old 09-10-2019, 06:11 PM   #6

Mine are all LED and I have a similar situation. Its all a matter of current draw. Little draw, no need....high draw the fan goes on.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 07:35 PM   #7

Mine comes on under the load of just a few lights and the converter itself, of course. It's nearly silent, and I wouldn't have known it came on if I didn't have the cover off for something else.
I would guess your fan is getting ready to expire, and the bearings are starting to sound off.