Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-17-2015, 02:24 PM   #1

Converter Test

Is there a quick way to test to make sure the converter/inverter is working properly?

I thought when plugged into shore power battery light would show all bulbs lit.

I am on shore power, try to put slides in or out and they wont go makes a clicking noise above doorway above the switches box. Battery light shows almost full as in last light not lit.

I unplugged battery and left shore power on, then Nothing worked at all. This one has be stumped. Both little blue lights were on at plug in.

Any suggestions welcomed....

2015 314BHDS Eagle 50 AMP Service

Pegsmi98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 03:47 PM   #2

If your only source of power is shore power (120VAC) after disconnecting the batteries and nothing works, you might have a defective converter (note: I'm not familiar with converter on your 2015 314BHDS). To test the potentially defective converter, you will need a voltmeter.

The general procedure for testing is:

1. Loosen the screw on the positive terminal and disconnect the positive wire. Read the converter output voltage using a DC voltmeter. If the voltage is above 13 DC volts, the converter is working properly.

2. If the converter output is zero volts, use an AC voltmeter to check for proper voltage at the 120 VAC outlet that the converter is plugged into. This voltage should be between 105 and 130 AC volts.

3. Check the fuses located on the converter (use ohms on the voltmeter). These fuses will only blow if the battery or DC output leads were connected in reverse, even for a moment. If defective, replace the fuses and repeat step 1.

Good luck.

Iota DLS-55, Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C, Trimetric TM-2025

WIBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 05:25 PM   #3

Converter out

So I have fully removed the converter (picture attached), is this not the converter or is it the whole box breakers etc together that make up the converter?

When I plug back into shore power shouldn't "everything" work now? Slides mainly? I get that there would be nothing to control charging the battery.

The system acts like its not getting proper power... Stumped.

MP
Attached Thumbnails
Converter.jpg  
Old 04-19-2015, 05:45 PM   #4
Site Team

The converter can be tested without removing it.

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 05:52 PM   #5

Agreed Norty. I thought after yesterday if was for sure the converter. But I have pulled the converter to take into the dealer to warranty.

However with it being fully out, my slides still will not operate, they both "try" and do not move. The main slide is out and will not come in and rear slide is in and wont go out.

The awning is very slow to go out as well. It acts like its not getting full power to the breaker box.

There are two blue lights on the 50 amp service plug in coming out of my garage, all was working a month ago.
Old 04-19-2015, 06:58 PM   #6
Site Team

Sounds to me like you battery is dead. You know these things work on 12v dc? If the converter is not recharging them, there is no reason to think it will stay charged. Can you check the dc voltage at the battery?

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
Old 04-19-2015, 07:01 PM   #7

Even though I am plugged in to shore power in garage?
Old 04-19-2015, 07:04 PM   #8
Site Team

You took the converter out!

Old 04-19-2015, 07:06 PM   #9

If you need an extra one let me know. I would sell mine cheap. I'm not using it since I upgraded mine to the Progressive Dynamics PD9280V Converter.
Old 04-19-2015, 07:13 PM   #10

Thanks Todd I am under warranty. Norty I unhooked battery and put charger on it. It was showing 50% and 12.3 volts.