Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-13-2023, 09:28 AM   #1

Convertor Issues

I have a new experience I can resolve. On my last trip when i got home i went to plug in the shore power and the supply GFI kept tripping. I narrowed it down to the Convertor being shorted out. It is from 2011, but in speaking with company that was an unusual failure. I confirmed it was the convertor, by plugging it directly to the supply GFI. I also went thru each of the circuits to ensure they were ok. Before putting in the new replacement i double checked that there was not a short in the line to the batteries. But as soon as in put power to the new convertor it tripped the GFI Now i am totally confused as i again double checked lines and no shorts. I tested the isolated convertor leads afterwards and continuity was confirmed on the DC side.

Help.
Jayco_Prescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 05:57 AM   #2

I've a attached a couple of links that mention why using a GFCI outlet for shore power isn't always a good idea. You don't mention if you're using a 15/20 or a 30/50 amp connection GFCI. If it's a 15 or 20 amp, I would try replacing it.

I have a power pedestal at home with 20/30/50 amp connections. I know that my 2021 North Point is very finicky when connected to the 20 amp GFCI outlet. Personally, I don't see the need for Ground Fault protection to the RV; the RV has it's own protection (IMHO).

There are enough qualified electricians on this site that if I'm wrong I will quickly stand corrected!

https://www.everything-about-rving.c...-the-gfci.html

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/12vo...ci-469429.html

https://www.rvtravel.com/30-and-50-a...n-campgrounds/
2019 Jayco Jayflight 28RLS (New York)
The latest government survey finds that 3 out of 4 people account for 75% of the total population.
JB13502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 09:37 AM   #3

It is not uncommon for a power supply (converter) to leak a very small amount of current. This is often just enough leakage to trip a GFCI, but not enough leakage to be considered a fault condition and in fact is to be expected as the leakage is part of the protection circuit. There isn't really any great answer for dealing with this other than not using a GFCI protected outlet to power the RV.

If you are 100% sure you are on a GFCI circuit and desperately need power, you likely could use an adapter like this and avoid the GFCI trip. However, this may not work due to the RV possibly conducting the leakage to the Earth (ground) via the landing legs, stabilizer jacks, etc. Also if you are using an EMS, it will not be happy with an "Open Ground". In any case, you never would want to use something like this when you are not on a GFCI protected outlet as for safety, you must be protected via a proper ground or GFCI (you being the RV and the people using the RV) otherwise you run the risk of a very dangerous condition that could definitely harm someone.

If you (or others) want more details as to why and how the current can leak with a properly functioning converter, then let me know and I can provide more details. In short, it is due to the usage of Metal Oxide Varistors or MOVs often used in a power supply's protection circuit and inside of surge protectors (also sometimes with fridges, microwaves, or other electronics needing protection). BTW, I am referencing when the leak occurs with a properly functioning converter (or other device), certainly a defective appliance of any type could short to ground and not the subject of my information here (a short to ground is why for safety reasons the RV must have a proper ground or plugged into a GFCI). ~CA
Attached Thumbnails
3to2-adapter.jpg  
Old 03-15-2023, 06:36 PM   #4

I've been told it is not uncommon for GFI receptacles to go bad over time. They are usually inexpensive to replace (depending on amperage requirements). So if possible, I would start with replacing the GFI to see if that might solve your problem.
Old 03-17-2023, 06:31 PM   #5

I've had a trailer that started shorting due to a screw piercing the insulation of a black 110v wire. It didn't show up until we had used it for awhile and then plugged into shore power.
boatless is offline   Reply With Quote