Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-06-2020, 09:09 AM   #1

Corrosion on skin of camper

I discovered a few bubbles under the paint of my trailer and when I touched the spots, the paint chipped off and there was corrosion on the aluminum that left a small hole in the skin.

Has anyone seen this before and how do I repair the hole?

Thanks,

Doug and Linda
2016 212QBW
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1951.jpg  
Old 04-06-2020, 09:01 PM   #2

It appears to be oxidation to the aluminum. Same as rust is to steel. It looks like moisture trapped on the inside of aluminium panel and oxidizing it's way out causing the paint to lift. Is it around the wheel well where dirt can build up and hold moisture against the panel . Hopefully not the walls between wood and siding.
deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 07:40 AM   #3

The oxidation is on the left side of the camper, up near the black rubber trim. I'm hoping I can get to it from inside the storage area. Any suggestions how to get rid of the oxidation?
Old 04-07-2020, 11:06 AM   #4

Try to seal where moisture is entering and if possible some how dry out the trapped moisture. If that is possible you can use a sandable filler to fill pin holes and smooth out surfaces at damage spots touch up primer and try to match some touch up spray paint. Until all the moisture problem is solved it will continue. Good luck
Old 04-07-2020, 12:10 PM   #5

On a 4 year old TT, I find it hard that the aluminum siding has started to corrode (Aluminum Oxide). If it was 30 years old, and has seen all kinds of road salts, then yes.

My suspicion is that there is a steel staple under that aluminum and the two dissimilar metals caused galvanic corrosion. I would think that the siding will need to be removed and the staple(s) sealed so they don't touch the aluminum.

My other suspicion is a defect in the manufacturing of the siding (impurity) and you are getting that same galvanic corrosion.

How to fix it? Not sure. I would think you need completely to remove the oxidation, then seal it. If it is a galvanic reaction, you need to eliminate the reaction.

How many old aluminum beer/soda cans have you found in the woods, that are still in great shape.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 12:58 PM   #6
Lost in the Woods

This is why we buy new every 3-4 years. They're just not built to last.
Danno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 02:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno View Post
This is why we buy new every 3-4 years. They're just not built to last.
Humph, my 2016 28BHBE was purchased in October of 2015. Still looks new. I take care of it. Check the roof every time my son goes up to sweep off the slide. Wax it 3 times a year.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 03:08 PM   #8

Good point jagivin. Whatever the cause is to remove the source so it doesn't possibly continue. Hopefully it's just a couple bad spots in the manufacturing and be a easier repair. Good luck
Old 04-09-2020, 06:59 AM   #9

What you are seeing is most likely something steel touching the aluminum skin. These two metals do not play nice when touching each other unless there is a barrier or coating. I have not seen this in anything this new is a very long time. If you are the original owner, before giving up on Jayco, you might want to send Jayco a note with your picture just to see if they might do anything for you. At least they might be able to diagnose what is going on. Good Luck.
Jungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 07:12 AM   #10
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAurand View Post
Humph, my 2016 28BHBE was purchased in October of 2015. Still looks new. I take care of it. Check the roof every time my son goes up to sweep off the slide. Wax it 3 times a year.
I take care of my things too, but some things only last so long. It's great that you wax it, and that will definitely keep the paint from fading, but what about the backside of the aluminum panels? It's paper thin bare aluminum with no anodizing or primer so it's prone to corrode from the inside out especially if there's any kind of steel fastener touching it. You could have 1/2" of wax on it and it will still happen especially if you're from Florida where you're surrounded by salt. The only way you can prevent this kind of damage is to either flip your trailers every couple years or move to Arizona.
Danno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 07:15 AM   #11

There was a similar post about this kind of issue a long time ago. Not sure what the circumstance was or who’s camper it was but I remember it was like Jagiven said, that situation was steel touching the aluminum skin. Yours is not an isolated incident, it’s happened before.
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote