Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-26-2013, 10:33 AM   #1

Coupler Lock for Jayco 29RLDS

I am having problems finding a lock that I like for my 2013 Jayco 29RLDS. Several models of locks did not fit apparently because of the flange around the hitch and others did not appear to be secure enough. I am looking for recommendations on a coupler lock. Thanks.
jimsmith3028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 12:03 PM   #2

This is the solution I use with my inverted coupler and hitch lock.
http://forums.woodalls.com/index.cfm...print/true.cfm
Texas28BHBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 12:06 PM   #3

Ordered a coupler lock from Cabelas--- about $40, based on a recommendation from Texas A&M --- hope it fits here's a pic of my coupler.[ATTACH][/ATTACH]
Tanker Yanker 43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 06:57 PM   #4

I use the TriMax with good success.
kampfirekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 07:34 PM   #5

We have the Eagle version of this trailer. I use a coupler lock similar to this one. Fits well.

http://www.rvsupplyparts.com/index.p..._detail&p=9666

On Permanent site at Gillies Lake, Bruce Peninsula
LilBigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:12 PM   #6

Coupler Lock for Jayco 29RLDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanker Yanker 43 View Post
Ordered a coupler lock from Cabelas--- about $40, based on a recommendation from Texas A&M --- hope it fits here's a pic of my coupler.[ATTACH][/ATTACH]
That is the same coupler/ hitch that is on my eagle.
Here is what i use.
The pic is of generic hitch.[ATTACH][/ATTACH]
lx22f/c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 02:15 PM   #7

BTW--- The coupler lock I ordered from Cabelas is the Trimax, I'll post a pic when I get hooked up.
Tanker Yanker 43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:47 AM   #8

Well, how does it fit ?

I've just purchased a Jayco Jayflight 24FBS. Having a hard time finding
a lock to fit the inverted hitch.
snookwhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 01:12 PM   #9
Site Team

After buying and returning 3 different locks that did not fit, here is the lock that I found for our 2013 Eagle 284BHS.

Don

Click image for larger version

Name:	Master Lock.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	9519
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 08:16 AM   #10

Here's a dumb question, why do you need a hitch lock? I park my TT on site at home so no concern there and on the road I guess I just never worried about someone unhitching a 7500lb TT from my TV or at the campground lifting all the stablizers and moving all my stuff from underneath and hooking up my TT to their TV and driving away, slides out and awning flapping as they exit the campground. I had a padlock on my Pop-up because I figured it could be unhitched and moved around by hand, but a heavy TT isn't going to go anywhere fast. If someone wants my stuff, wouldn't it be easier and quicker just to pry open a window and climb inside.

Idea!! Want to lock any trailer just weave a short braided security cable thru the spokes in the wheels and secure with a good lock. Works on ATV's, mowers, boat trailers etc.

I have good locks at my house, but didn't go overboard with big dollar stuff on the doors and windows when all it would take is for someone to pitch a lawn chair thru a window and have at my stuff. Alarms only work if you have LE fairly close. My backup [can us camping too] is to secret a trail cam to watch over things. Somebody does me wrong while I'm away and I have a pretty good chance of getting a pic of a vehicle and lic plate and the bad guys as well. Makes it a lot easier for authorities to find them.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:38 AM   #11

Thanks for all the good information. Good thinking about a security cable through the tires. I was focused on the front of the trailer and never thought about other options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
Here's a dumb question, why do you need a hitch lock? I park my TT on site at home so no concern there and on the road I guess I just never worried about someone unhitching a 7500lb TT from my TV or at the campground lifting all the stablizers and moving all my stuff from underneath and hooking up my TT to their TV and driving away, slides out and awning flapping as they exit the campground. I had a padlock on my Pop-up because I figured it could be unhitched and moved around by hand, but a heavy TT isn't going to go anywhere fast. If someone wants my stuff, wouldn't it be easier and quicker just to pry open a window and climb inside.

Idea!! Want to lock any trailer just weave a short braided security cable thru the spokes in the wheels and secure with a good lock. Works on ATV's, mowers, boat trailers etc.

I have good locks at my house, but didn't go overboard with big dollar stuff on the doors and windows when all it would take is for someone to pitch a lawn chair thru a window and have at my stuff. Alarms only work if you have LE fairly close. My backup [can us camping too] is to secret a trail cam to watch over things. Somebody does me wrong while I'm away and I have a pretty good chance of getting a pic of a vehicle and lic plate and the bad guys as well. Makes it a lot easier for authorities to find them.
jimsmith3028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:18 PM   #12

Keep a 5 or 6 foot cable with me and use it for multi purposes in addition to locking the wheels in place. I use it to secure the Honda 2000, the wife's bike, extra propane tanks etc.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 04:05 PM   #13

Could you please tell us the part number of the Master Lock you purchased? Also, I assume the hitch is the wide one that no other locks will fit? Seems like the newer Jayco trailers have this weird sized hitch.

Does the lock fit only on the lip of the hitch or does it have a ball that goes into the hitch?

Thanks!!!
Texas Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 11:12 PM   #14

This is the lock that I use: https://www.megahitchlock.com

They have some videos on their site that show many of the popular locks being defeated rather quickly.
Jace817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 08:35 AM   #15

I watched their videos, however, it appeared to me that they put a very minimum effort into removing the Mega Hitch Lock. Probably because that they are selling them. The Mega Hitch Lock might be great but I would like to see an unbiased video with someone trying to tear it off a hitch like they did the competitor brands. They are a little pricey but might be well worth the $100.00 if someone tries to steal your trailer.

As far as using chains on your tires, you first need to see if the brake drums cover the back side of the tire and wheel. My new 2014 Jayco Flight 26ft. has electric brakes and a chain can't run through the wheels. Already tried that.

By the way, my RV dealer sells two styles of hitch locks and neither will work on the Jayco trailer with a wide lip on the hitch. One is the yellow hitch and the other is Fastway Trailer hitch (maximum security universal coupler lock). Both were shown in the video referenced in the email above. Some of the newer Jayco trailers have a wide lip on the hitch, which prevents most locks from fitting. At least I haven't found a good solution yet. The Fastway Hitch has two side shanks which aren't long enough to connect with the locking mechanism on a fat lip hitch.

I'm certainly open for any suggestions, as our trailer is parked in a community rental facility with other campers/boats/etc. and folks come/go at will. Its gated and locked but still not too secure.

Thanks.
Texas Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 09:37 AM   #16

Completely agree that they didn't put as much effort into breaking their own lock, but after getting one, I'm not sure how you would without a torch. It's basically a 5 sided cube out of 3/16 steel. Nothing to pry against, hack saw through, or knock loose. Is it defeat-able? More than likely. But I'm pretty sure it makes it more difficult than virtually every other rig in the lot.

The other safeguard I take is removing the fuse from the electric jack.
Jace817 is offline   Reply With Quote