Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-31-2015, 01:37 PM   #1

Cover Confusion

SWMBO is pressuring me to get a cover now.

A tarp and bungee cords was adequate for the old trailer. But the new one is going to get a proper fitting one.

Shopping for them is a real pain. Just how long is a 19RD? Bumper to hitch? Outside the cabin from the lights to the bulge in front of the bedroom? What about height? Does that include the A/C? The skylight over the tub/shower? Does the folded antenna have to be accounted for?

Why can't the online or printed catalogs include a cross-reference page?

What about 6 or 7 different "quality" levels? Sheesh!

HELP!

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 05:55 AM   #2

I'm interested as well. Anybody??
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 07:12 AM   #3

According to the brochure the 2015 model is 23'1" long and 127" high. I don't know if it includes the air conditioner, but since the air conditioner is standard, it probably would. If you look into getting covers, they are probably not exactly made to fit your model, so whichever one you choose would most likely allow for the air conditioner height.
Old 09-01-2015, 07:14 AM   #4

Been out researching and so far I'm coming up with the best solution long term is to get a roof up. We live in an area where roof only horse shelters (as well as conventional) are put up rather quickly. One of these would probably suffice, I am fortunate in that I have the room to put one "off to the side". Still though I was hoping for a cover solution and if our winters weren't so harsh I may have picked one of the lesser "quality" models. The price of covers coupled with what I perceive to be limited reliability ie not able to last for the life of the trailer, were flags for me. So-o-o my two cents is a roof erected as a minimum, sides filled in as necessary.
Now having said that I am thinking of taking one of the Round Top canvass shelters I already have and mount it on a four foot wall made from posts sunk into the ground below frost level and then capped with a 6x6 runner. The RT cost about 650$ and the wall will be mostly posts from trees from my own property, overall probably take just as much time as the roof option...maybe...I'll still be watching this thread.
Old 09-01-2015, 07:39 AM   #5

23' 1" long x 10' 7" high? Gonna have to get out the 50' tape, a ladder and a friend.

A roof only shelter is not in the cards... When I consider such a shelter, the 4 tractors, implements, 2 other trailers and the donor car have to be under there too!

A cover is adequate for our normal winters. Although 2014-15 was a bit much...

Anybody have suggestions on what level of cover gives the best value? A new $100 each year vs. a new $500 cover every 5 years is the same in my book.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 08:06 AM   #6
Site Team

Mike, I bought an Adco from CW three years ago, and ordered one for 20'1" to 22' and it's just a little large. The measurement is from the front of the body to the rear bumper, spare tire, or ladder, which ever is longer. The roof a/c, vent covers, etc. are already taken in consideration, so don't worry about that. The radio antenna folds down flat after loosening the Phillips screw at the base. It looks like CW is getting out of the Adco brand, and has Aqua-Shed on sale for 132.00. Can't speak about the Element brand.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 08:59 AM   #7

We did the same as JFlightRisk and they are hard to fit. The ADCO cover. They are so generic in size that say if your unit has the sloped front like a whitehawk vs a square boxey front that they don't fit good. We had a Kodiak trailer like the whitehawk and it just didn't fit good. The hardest thing to get around lately is the gutter drains that stick out on each side of the front and rear. The covers just aren't made with a "cut out" so those things fit. It stretches over them and leaves underneath it not tight. The covers need to be pretty tight as wind makes them whip abit and that can do more damage to the finish that leaving it exposed. We used ours one year and never again. Its in a box in the attic.
Cumming, Georgia
Go Dawgs!
Amosmoses33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 10:30 AM   #8

I covered my first TT with an ADCO and never again. The tops are Tyvek house wrap and the sides are paper thin material that if you look at it wrong, rips. First 2 months were fine then the side material started to give and the whole thing ripped. I had to send in a cut section out to ADCO for the warranty and they did send out a new cover 2 months later to which I sold still boxed up to the next owner.

I would look into a more durable cover and make sure you prep any edges correctly. They cinch front and back to take out the slack and make sure your doors line up with the access panels should you need to get in the unit.

They sell them I thought in 1-2 ft intervals based on length, did not know there was a height option, but haven't shopped for one in years.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote