Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-16-2021, 03:38 PM   #1

Covering RV during Storage

I just purchased a 2011 Jay flight 29QBH. I am having a 36ft by 15ft metal frame cover installed to park it under at my property year round, unless I decide to take it on a road trip.
Since I am going to have this metal framed cover over it, do I need to put a actually RV cover over the RV as well. RV and systems will be winterized by blow out lines, putting antifreeze in drains and toilet, Covering open outside vents, Cover / fill any open holes, Cover over AC unit and I was considering putting a one piece tarp over the roof.
Any thoughts or recommendation? I want to make sure I protect my investment as much as possible, without going over board.
Thanks
Dean
tazzman1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 04:26 PM   #2

An RV port is a fantastic storage option for it. I wouldn't cover it. Perhaps hang a tarp on the south facing side of the structure to keep out the harshest sunlight, but don't hang a tarp directly on your camper. The wind will cause it to rub and possibly damage your paint or rubber roof.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 04:37 PM   #3

Thanks Spoono59. I was considering hanging tarp/canvas on both ends, maybe even around sides, connected on frame of port, not on RV just for extra measure. Port will will be extend about 3ft over sides and about 1 1/2 foot over front and back (including hitch). You don't think it would provide any additional protection adding the tarps/canvas around sides of RV on port frame?
tazzman1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 05:00 PM   #4

That should be fine. You just don't want it rubbing the finish. I would make sure it's not "air tight" and you leave a window and roof vent open in your camper. I find that air flow prevents musty smells.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote