Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-03-2012, 10:34 AM   #11

I think covering the TT is a great Idea, however I haven't figured out how to get the cover up on the roof. I used one on our popup but even that was a chore.

Don

Wilcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:38 PM   #12

X2 on covering only the A/C and cleaning the rubber roof.

Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:21 AM   #13

We have had trailers since 1979 and have never felt the need to cover one. I have used covers for the vents so they wouldn't get damaged if I had to remove snow.

I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 10:45 AM   #14

I just investigated using a cover as well - I'm in Ottawa Ontario Canada, we get cold temperatures, freezing rain and lots of snow. I leave my trailer on a private and permanent lot on right up from the lake, in tree cover. My main concerns was snow and ice build up and water damage caused by slow/fast melts over Winter and during seasonal changes. However, after looking at the different types of covers up close, I opted to not put one on my trailer; this was reinforced by 2 experienced RV service departments that good reputations. The covers are very thin and are perforated (vented), as they need to let the RV breath to avoid mold. Because of this, the covers were stated as "water resistant" and not waterproof, so it will do nothing to actually prevent water dispersion/accumulation on or around the trailer. So the covers were not useful to me to prevent water damage caused by snow and ice melting, as any water accumulation goes straight through the cover onto the trailer. Instead, I followed the recommendation to do an annual rubber roof treatment, made sure all my caulking around windows, vents, etc. is intact and hired someone to clean off any accumulation of snow on the trailer (without walking on the roof) throughout winter.

I can see the advantage of using some a cover for storing your RV to protect it from direct sunlight or dust/debris, indoor storage as well - but if you are hoping to protect it from snow and ice melts leading to potential water damage, I don't believe it to be very efficient - nor affordable, with the covers I shopped where between $600-800 CDN + taxes for a 26' foot trailer.
arcticlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 09:52 PM   #15

homemade car port

Here's what I did. Just finished a few days ago. Took about 30 hours and $1,270.00 to construct. I purchased the connectors and tarp from A1 Tarps.com.The pipe from a local fence co. (12 -21' 1-5/8 .055 tubes and 5-21' .085 tubes for roof structure. The total size is 14'w x 26'06"L x 12'H at the ridge. I also had to build a new 21' gate to get the trailer (2017 X23b) in and out of the back yard. The gate was the first project before building the enclosure. That took me about 22 hours and another 500$ to build. I use a parkit 360 to drive the trailer into the yard.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4615.jpg   IMG_4613.jpg   IMG_4651.jpg   IMG_4650 (Edited).jpg   IMG_4653.jpg  

IMG_4654.jpg  
WisconsinCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 10:44 PM   #16

I have a ADCO designer series RV cover on my TT, it has the wind vents built in. I cut 5” pieces of pool noodle to slip over the gutter spouts first before putting the cover on. It made it thru the long winter we had here on the West coast last year. It was not cheap, I had no issues with schaffing.
Old Yesterday, 07:51 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisconsinCamper View Post
Here's what I did. Just finished a few days ago. Took about 30 hours and $1,270.00 to construct. I purchased the connectors and tarp from A1 Tarps.com.The pipe from a local fence co. (12 -21' 1-5/8 .055 tubes and 5-21' .085 tubes for roof structure. The total size is 14'w x 26'06"L x 12'H at the ridge. I also had to build a new 21' gate to get the trailer (2017 X23b) in and out of the back yard. The gate was the first project before building the enclosure. That took me about 22 hours and another 500$ to build. I use a parkit 360 to drive the trailer into the yard.
very nice... how much snow do you think it can hold?

is the piping strong enough you could put corrugated sheet metal on it? Seems the tarp may not hold up with a lot of snow and no support between the poles but maybe it is strong enough...
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:15 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisconsinCamper View Post
WOW! That's quite a project!

And I'll bet the trailer fitting in the backyard was not just a happy accident. Obviously you measured and planned a whole bunch before you bought the trailer!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:29 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie23 View Post
X2 on covering only the A/C and cleaning the rubber roof.
X3 on covering only the A/C and cleaning the rubber roof.

With my trailer being 130 miles away at our seasonal site, I'm afraid if something happens to the cover that could potentially cause damage (ie..gets loose from ocean wind and starts tugging on something it shouldn't), it could be months before I discover it. I'm lucky if i visit the rig once or twice during the 7 month off season.
This will be my 3rd winter uncovered and I've seen no ill effects from the winter weather. As long as all sealants are in good shape and the slides are closed tight, I'm not worried about it.

My prior rig, a 2005, spent 11 seasons uncovered on Cape Cod and it was in excellent condition when I traded it in.

When it comes covering or not, I've heard arguments for and against. To each his own I guess.
Old Yesterday, 09:27 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
WOW! That's quite a project!

And I'll bet the trailer fitting in the backyard was not just a happy accident. Obviously you measured and planned a whole bunch before you bought the trailer!
Only so much yard to work with. The tow vehicle (2010 Chev Traverse LTZ) played a major role in Travel Trailer size. At the end of the day, Math and planning got me here. I have less then 48 inches to spare total front to back.

WisconsinCamper is offline   Reply With Quote