Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-31-2012, 06:46 AM   #1

Covering Travel Trailer for Winter

Should I buy a cover for it? We get a lot of rain, and freezing rain here and some snow. Lots of minus 20 days. I am storing the trailer on a gravel bed next to the house so one side will be sheltered.

I was looking at the tyvex or aquashed covers that camping world sells.

http://www.campingworld.com/order/wi...&cord_Group=23

I do not think with the amount of wind we get here that a temporary garage would survive the winter.

We have enough wind that we held the sailing for the olympics in Montreal here.

Thanks again,

Steve
Days camping in 2013 - 33 so far
2 more 3 or 4 day trips planned.
salexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 07:17 AM   #2

I picked up one of the tyvek covers from camping world, and I've been very happy with it. It generally only takes us 10 min to take it on or off. It also has nice zippers to let us get in while it's still covered. We store it under a tree, so I wanted to keep the sap and birdstuff off the roof. If nothing else, it has done a fantastic job of keeping UV fading to a minimum. Our decals are still bright like the day we got it.

I keep our 25G covered any time it's not in use. Over the winter I have both the tyvek cover on, and then I put another heavy-duty tarp over it on top of the tyvek. You'll get other opinions on this, as there are concerns about venting and some have had issues with a tarp wiggling in the wind and wearing / rubbing the corners of the camper. I've not had issues with either of those things.

My $.02 - but I always cover all my toys - never leave them to the elements.
ringneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 07:24 AM   #3

I also have a Tyvek cover and I agree with ringneck I keep my TT covered when not in use. I don't double cover it.
US Army
VN.71-72
RickAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 06:59 PM   #4

I have a cover for our 5th wheel. I use it to keep the sun off of it in the summer time. As soon as the weather cools and all the leaves fall of the trees I will pull it off for the winter. We dont get snow and the rain wont hurt the tt but I am concerned about the wind whipping the cover and wearing on the edge of the roof.
Old 09-01-2012, 09:40 AM   #5

I have used Tyvek covers on all my TT's, since they are so easy to install and they do a great job protecting the trailer form the ice, snow and rain we get in the northern area of NY. There are different versions for the elements and I too picked mine up at Campingworld, but be sure to wait for their sales to save an added 30%.

I had used tarps on my original Jayco popup but I noticed that they never fit well enough and billowed to let water, snow and ice in. Since upgrading to the dedicated Tyvek covers the coverage is much better and provides more piece of mind during the winter.
Upstate New York
BruceB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 10:04 AM   #6

The dealer told me not to cover the trailer because it would dull the paint from the rubbing. Is that true?
sylvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 10:12 AM   #7

Dealer told me not to cover the trailer because it would dull the paint, is that true?
sylvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 04:37 AM   #8

If you do not have a tight, snug fitting cover, the wind can cause the cover to chaf the corners of the tt. It happened to my neighbor's trailer. If the cover fits tightly all over the trailer, then you're good. I had a cover for my old trailer. This one will not get covered. They sit out on a dealer's lot or the manufacturer's lot uncovered. You will find two schools of thought on covering, and God only knows which is correct. I guess it really comes down to personal preference.
1 Wife
....and empty pockets
nitrohorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 06:02 AM   #9

For what it is worth. We have never covered any units since buying our first TT in 1977. They all survived summers and winters with no damage. My biggest concern about a cover is heavy snow or ice. If it is covered how would you remove it from off the unit? Something I have done many times over the last 35 years using a roof snow rake. (plastic)
Old 09-02-2012, 10:42 AM   #10

Just get an AC cover to keep water from getting in and freezing. The roof will be fine if you clean in the fall and spring with a little spic and span and some elbow grease.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:34 AM   #11

I think covering the TT is a great Idea, however I haven't figured out how to get the cover up on the roof. I used one on our popup but even that was a chore.

Don
Wilcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:38 PM   #12

X2 on covering only the A/C and cleaning the rubber roof.
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:21 AM   #13

We have had trailers since 1979 and have never felt the need to cover one. I have used covers for the vents so they wouldn't get damaged if I had to remove snow.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 09:45 AM   #14

I just investigated using a cover as well - I'm in Ottawa Ontario Canada, we get cold temperatures, freezing rain and lots of snow. I leave my trailer on a private and permanent lot on right up from the lake, in tree cover. My main concerns was snow and ice build up and water damage caused by slow/fast melts over Winter and during seasonal changes. However, after looking at the different types of covers up close, I opted to not put one on my trailer; this was reinforced by 2 experienced RV service departments that good reputations. The covers are very thin and are perforated (vented), as they need to let the RV breath to avoid mold. Because of this, the covers were stated as "water resistant" and not waterproof, so it will do nothing to actually prevent water dispersion/accumulation on or around the trailer. So the covers were not useful to me to prevent water damage caused by snow and ice melting, as any water accumulation goes straight through the cover onto the trailer. Instead, I followed the recommendation to do an annual rubber roof treatment, made sure all my caulking around windows, vents, etc. is intact and hired someone to clean off any accumulation of snow on the trailer (without walking on the roof) throughout winter.

I can see the advantage of using some a cover for storing your RV to protect it from direct sunlight or dust/debris, indoor storage as well - but if you are hoping to protect it from snow and ice melts leading to potential water damage, I don't believe it to be very efficient - nor affordable, with the covers I shopped where between $600-800 CDN + taxes for a 26' foot trailer.
arcticlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 09:52 PM   #15

homemade car port

Here's what I did. Just finished a few days ago. Took about 30 hours and $1,270.00 to construct. I purchased the connectors and tarp from A1 Tarps.com.The pipe from a local fence co. (12 -21' 1-5/8 .055 tubes and 5-21' .085 tubes for roof structure. The total size is 14'w x 26'06"L x 12'H at the ridge. I also had to build a new 21' gate to get the trailer (2017 X23b) in and out of the back yard. The gate was the first project before building the enclosure. That took me about 22 hours and another 500$ to build. I use a parkit 360 to drive the trailer into the yard.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4615.jpg   IMG_4613.jpg   IMG_4651.jpg   IMG_4650 (Edited).jpg   IMG_4653.jpg  

IMG_4654.jpg  
WisconsinCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 10:44 PM   #16

I have a ADCO designer series RV cover on my TT, it has the wind vents built in. I cut 5” pieces of pool noodle to slip over the gutter spouts first before putting the cover on. It made it thru the long winter we had here on the West coast last year. It was not cheap, I had no issues with schaffing.
Old 12-13-2017, 07:51 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisconsinCamper View Post
Here's what I did. Just finished a few days ago. Took about 30 hours and $1,270.00 to construct. I purchased the connectors and tarp from A1 Tarps.com.The pipe from a local fence co. (12 -21' 1-5/8 .055 tubes and 5-21' .085 tubes for roof structure. The total size is 14'w x 26'06"L x 12'H at the ridge. I also had to build a new 21' gate to get the trailer (2017 X23b) in and out of the back yard. The gate was the first project before building the enclosure. That took me about 22 hours and another 500$ to build. I use a parkit 360 to drive the trailer into the yard.
very nice... how much snow do you think it can hold?

is the piping strong enough you could put corrugated sheet metal on it? Seems the tarp may not hold up with a lot of snow and no support between the poles but maybe it is strong enough...
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 08:15 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisconsinCamper View Post
WOW! That's quite a project!

And I'll bet the trailer fitting in the backyard was not just a happy accident. Obviously you measured and planned a whole bunch before you bought the trailer!
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 02:29 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie23 View Post
X2 on covering only the A/C and cleaning the rubber roof.
X3 on covering only the A/C and cleaning the rubber roof.

With my trailer being 130 miles away at our seasonal site, I'm afraid if something happens to the cover that could potentially cause damage (ie..gets loose from ocean wind and starts tugging on something it shouldn't), it could be months before I discover it. I'm lucky if i visit the rig once or twice during the 7 month off season.
This will be my 3rd winter uncovered and I've seen no ill effects from the winter weather. As long as all sealants are in good shape and the slides are closed tight, I'm not worried about it.

My prior rig, a 2005, spent 11 seasons uncovered on Cape Cod and it was in excellent condition when I traded it in.

When it comes covering or not, I've heard arguments for and against. To each his own I guess.
Old 12-13-2017, 09:27 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
WOW! That's quite a project!

And I'll bet the trailer fitting in the backyard was not just a happy accident. Obviously you measured and planned a whole bunch before you bought the trailer!
Only so much yard to work with. The tow vehicle (2010 Chev Traverse LTZ) played a major role in Travel Trailer size. At the end of the day, Math and planning got me here. I have less then 48 inches to spare total front to back.
WisconsinCamper is offline   Reply With Quote