Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-15-2015, 05:47 AM   #1

cracked flooring question

I have a 2008 jayco 29 rls with cracked vinyl I have read about laminate replacement and would like to look into it however can you use it with a slide out or will it cause a problem going underneath? Any idea on costs? Thanks I am new to travel trailers and just purchased this one with flooring issue. Im sure its due to chicago cold weather. thanks
paulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 09:31 PM   #2

Paulie, just curious, what did you end up doing? I have the same problem in my unit.
Row10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 05:54 AM   #3

Holy crap! This thread was 5 years ago and nobody responded to him? He prolly dumped that trailer and bought another brand and became a member of their forum instead.

I had this happen to my 04 Montana 5th wheel back in 15 also. If I remember right there were a LOT of trailers that had this happen, old and new, that year because of the extremely cold winter that year.
I ended up cutting my flooring out and replaced it with a tongue and groove peel and stick. The carpet edges are merely rolled under itself and stapled down, so that came up pretty easy. I decided to out down a thin luan for the new flooring to adhere to. Yeah, well, the adhesion on those things ain't very good and it's a good thing because once I got it all done the slide was rubbing into the floor. It was just a little too high. So I had to take it all out, pull the luan out and all the staples i had holding it down and laid the floor back down. I stapled the 2 carpet edges down ( west and south ) and the other two were up against the cabinets and steps going up to the main bedroom did not get stapled ( east and north ). I left just a little room there for expansion and contraction. I stained some nice corner round to match the cabinets and trimmed it in on those sides. I rerolled the carpet edge and stapled it back down. Actually, it turned out really nice.
How did it hold up? I have no idea. The wife was wanting a new trailer. About a week later we were bringing home a new Forest River Sierra 5th wheel. That trailer needed up becoming a total.pile of garbage which led us to our Northpoint we got now. The Montana sold about a month after we bought the Sierra. I'll see if I can dig up some pics of the Montana flooring project and post them up.
Old 04-14-2020, 03:06 PM   #4

Thanks for the reply Lake Huron. You don't happen to remember what type of peel and stick you used, do you? I'm looking at peel and stick vinyl planks. Did you use extra adhesive? My sub floor looks good, so I think I can just pill up the old, and install the new.
Did you use any type of sealer over the floor after you installed it?
I'm full of questions, never put down this type of flooring before. Especially in a RV.
Thanks again.
Row10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 04:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Row10 View Post
Thanks for the reply Lake Huron. You don't happen to remember what type of peel and stick you used, do you? I'm looking at peel and stick vinyl planks. Did you use extra adhesive? My sub floor looks good, so I think I can just pill up the old, and install the new.
Did you use any type of sealer over the floor after you installed it?
I'm full of questions, never put down this type of flooring before. Especially in a RV.
Thanks again.
I don't remember the name brand of it but I remember I bought it from Home Depot. The guy in the flooring department sold me on the extra adhesive. I used it but it didn't help make it stick at all. I don't know what the deal was with it, maybe it was junk right out of the can. I used it when I put the luan down then found out the floor was too high so I had to take it all up and remove the luan and I just put the floor right down on the OSB sub floor of the trailer. The vinyl flooring didn't have much, if any, stick left to it. I figured it would prolly be better if it didn't stick and work more like a floating floor since these trailers flex so much. I didn't use any sealer at all on it after I was done. I saw the new owners with it about a month later and they were using it too. It looked like it was holding up really well. It was the first floor I've ever done too. I think I remember the best way to cut this stuff was a sharp utility knife but something is jogging my memory about using a roto zip.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20150322_133628.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	57825

Name:	20150518_193224.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	57826

Name:	20150519_204657.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	57827

Name:	20150615_160642.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	57828

Name:	20150615_160705.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	57829

Sorry the pics are all sideways and upside down, but you'll get the idea.
Any other questions, just ask!
Lake Huron is offline   Reply With Quote