Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-21-2017, 07:40 PM   #1

Cross country trip in Spring 2018

We are considering going from our home in WA State to visit my folks in Indiana, then on to NH to visit our daughter & her family. We've never done this trip via RVing although we have driven it with five (5) small kids. This time it will just be 3 of us total with our 2016 RL 20.

Is this too big an undertaking for an initial outing?

How many hours driving per day is too many?
dlbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 07:54 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

No biggie.
Drive no more than 4 hrs a day unless you love to drive.
If you have a long day, stay over 2 days to relax.

Enjoy

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 08:09 PM   #3

Should be fine if you take it slow and enjoy the trip... if too long a day, kids and old folks get cranky! lol

If you should have issues with the unit, you'll be in Indiana, where the Jayco factory is (and they have a great tour). Also, try and see the RV museum in Elkheart IN, it's WELL worth it! (RV/MH Hall of Fame - Museum - Library - Conference Center)

Have fun and be safe.
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 08:09 PM   #4

Its definitely doable, but if you want to enjoy the voyage, don't drive too much each day, pre-plan your stops, and remember, you will be slower going with the camper and increased gas stops.

I did a South Dakota to Florida trip in 3 days, it was not a lot of fun, 11-13 road hours each day made for some very long days and no time to enjoy the trip.

I do recommend finding KOAs or other campgrounds with large pull thru sites as you go, that way you don't necessarily have to unhook for a 1 night stay. You can also stop at rest areas and use the camper for meals etc, which is a plus.

Also equip yourself to check your hitch bolts, etc during the trip, that long a trip can make things come loose or even worse break.

ProPride 3P

jsallman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 09:14 PM   #5

We did Vancouver, Wa to Colorado Springs, Co in three days with the grandkids & a dog covering 400+ miles per day. That was not fun unless you like long days on the road.

Take your time and enjoy the journey.

NCMFFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 09:20 PM   #6

A lot depends on time frame. We live in Seatac and went to Massachusettes last June. Fourth long trip. We did 350 to 400 miles per day trying to limit our driving to 8 hours per day. Usually stop every two hours for gas or rest area to water the dogs. We figure with stops we average 50 mph even though we drive 65 mph but this includes down time.

Some good advice above regarding trying to stay at one place for two nights for a day of rest.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 10:23 PM   #7

On our long trips we averaged about 250-300 miles each day that we drove, with just one driver.

X2 about taking an extra day once in awhile for rest.

With the ever increasing popularity of rving its good to try and plan your overnight stops and make reservations ahead in the better rv parks if you stay in them.

X2 about not unhooking every night if you get a long enough space.

Be prepared for the weather to possibly interrupt your plans.

This may fly in the face of rving but my DW and I enjoyed staying at a hotel once in awhile on the trip. With our 175RD we didn’t have any problem driving and parking in the the motel parking lots.
OregonPerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 11:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonPerson View Post
.....This may fly in the face of rving but my DW and I enjoyed staying at a hotel once in awhile on the trip. With our 175RD we didn’t have any problem driving and parking in the the motel parking lots.
I actually thought of that...my wife & 13 yr old daughter may appreciate a night's stay in a nice hotel every 3-4 nights. Me too, for that matter...
dlbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 05:48 AM   #9

On our longer trips we tend to run about 400 miles per day, leaving very early in the morning (sometimes as early as 4:00) so that we're in early afternoon and have some time to relax. That also helps with the fur babies as they tend to go back to sleep for the first few hours.

Like others, we tend to stop every couple of hours too, usually for about 15 minutes. KOA are great for one night stops, and when reserving I specifically ask for a spot long enough so that I don't have to unhitch - haven't had anyone say no yet, though some of the spots we've been put in aren't the greatest for staying hitched.

On our 400 mile days we tend to keep pushing through, but if we do something longer we'll try to stay for an extra rest day and to poke around the area.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote