Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-20-2017, 04:20 PM   #1

Cross country with your trailer

I was a full timer for 8 years with a 40 foot motorhome. I had done a number of trips going from coast to coast.

I have a new 2017 27DRL Whitehawk. Thinking about a trip to California and back to Maine.

I am wondering how many of you have done a trip like this with your trailer? How well did it go? Did you have any issues with the trailer? Did your trailer do well with 400 or 500 mile days?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Steve
Bigdomino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 04:51 PM   #2

Not quite to your distances, but I have done 4000 miles in a single trip, with some very long travel days,

Except for the seasonal style tt's, the trailers are made to move.

The biggest thing, I have learned is make sure your tires are fully filed each morning.

Personally I have not experienced any traveling issues, but I am very good about preventive maintenance.

One thing to make sure you have is enough TV, so you can run the AC, and have enough power for the mountains.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 05:38 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I did 9 weeks, 9,000 miles from Ohio to West coast and back.
TT was 4 years old bought used.
I had a thermocouple go bad on my HW heater. Local shop had a drawer full of used ones and gave me a couple free. 15 minute repair.
I had the converter go bad. Hooked up battery charger until I could have new one shipped. Got the number off converter, ordered on Ebay and had it shipped to next campground. 30 minute repair.
I tried not to travel more than 4 hrs per day. If high winds, I'd leave by 7am and get to my next stop by noon.

Enjoy and keep it between the lines :-)

Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 05:43 PM   #4
Site Team

I have found that 400 mile daily trip almost perfect for a long distance trip if you have the time. That allows you the opportunity to sleep in a little in the morning, get your drive in during the day, and have time to set back up where you are stopping for the night. I'm not sure what you are pulling with, but almost any setup will be able to do that on one fuel stop. That will give you a chance to get lunch and stretch you legs a little.

I've pushed as much as 1000 miles at a time on some trips in the past. I'm usually then tired for my entire trip. I'd much rather break it up if I have the time.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 06:21 PM   #5

I broke both my hips and severely injured my back in a work related incident. Because of the effects of the injuries I can't drive more than 3 hours without stopping. I'm finding lately that I can't go much further than the 4 hours mentioned above. We plan our trips based upon that time frame. Like JAgiven, I'm meticulous about preventative maintenance and haven't experienced any major mechanical issues while on the road...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 08:00 PM   #6

Thanks for mentioning "preventive maintenance." We purchased a 23MRB and are starting to use it often. While I read the Jayco manual from front to back I didn't get the feeling that they are really into "preventive maintenance. Do you have a recommendation for a link that might help me out. We just "de-winterized the TT and others here in CA laughed at us saying that this is mostly for areas with "strong weather seasons." Hard to understand at this point what is the best practices. Thanks. Joseph
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 08:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingjw View Post
Thanks for mentioning "preventive maintenance." We purchased a 23MRB and are starting to use it often. While I read the Jayco manual from front to back I didn't get the feeling that they are really into "preventive maintenance. Do you have a recommendation for a link that might help me out. We just "de-winterized the TT and others here in CA laughed at us saying that this is mostly for areas with "strong weather seasons." Hard to understand at this point what is the best practices. Thanks. Joseph
You can use this as a guide. You will develop your own maintenance routine once you get comfortable.
Attached Thumbnails
1151b617765621959a4bdfdd72b98453.jpg  

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 09:28 PM   #8

I haven't done it with a Jayco, but I did do it with my 2012 Skyline Koala 21CS, which I just sold. I went from Richmond,VA area to Los Angeles and back. We were gone a total of 47 days, and drove over 7,900 miles.

Quite a trip, and enjoyed it immensely.

We had no issues with our trailer. I tried to limit any travel to 300 miles, if possible. Sometimes the travel time stretched out to 450 miles. Didn't like those long days.

The outward leg took us through Vicksburg, MS, Shreveport, LA, San Antonio and Fredricksburg, TX, Carlsbad & White Sands, NM, Tombstone and Tucson, AZ, Las Vegas, NV, Death Valley and Los Angeles, CA.

Returning home, we went to Grand Canyons NP, Meteor Crater NP, and Petrified Forest NP, AZ. Then through Oklahoma and Kansas to KC, KS to visit my son's in laws, then to Hannibal, MO to visit Mark Twain, then up to Ypsilenti, MI to visit my daughter, then back home to Virginia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdomino View Post
I was a full timer for 8 years with a 40 foot motorhome. I had done a number of trips going from coast to coast.

I have a new 2017 27DRL Whitehawk. Thinking about a trip to California and back to Maine.

I am wondering how many of you have done a trip like this with your trailer? How well did it go? Did you have any issues with the trailer? Did your trailer do well with 400 or 500 mile days?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Steve
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 10:08 PM   #9

We've done a few 3000 mile plus trips. Used to we'd do 600 plus miles a day. Now with 3 kids, however far I get in 8 hours is a wrap. Have done the 1100 mile trip from Middlebury, IN to my house in one stretch, but never again.

My big thing is, spare parts. We carry a lot of spare parts which may seem odd to a beginner. We're equipped to make plumbing and electrical repairs just to name a few (we have pex tubing, crimps and tools, misc plumbing fittings, Romex and other wiring, multi meter etc just to name a few). Also carry a spare thermostat. We've full timed as well, and spare parts along with the know how is key to a successful trip with minimal down time. Sounds like you've done it before so I'm probably preaching to the choir.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 03:42 AM   #10
Site Team

We have taken several long trips. One key when doing so much driving is make sure your tires are in good shape and your pressure is checked and the tires inspected even daily.

The other systems are just as important to maintain but they are working no matter where you are camping.

The tires and suspension however get a much more strenuous workout on a extended trip.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 05:21 AM   #11

Haven't went far but this summer, going to Corpus Christi, TX. 25 hours +.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote