Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-07-2016, 09:15 AM   #1

Curious To Know

Our new trailer has the gravity water fill located on the door entry side of the trailer, all of our previous trailers have had the water fill on the opposite side with the black and grey tank valves, I am curios as to how many other Jaycos are setup like this and why, other wise I have to pull in to the water and waste station in the opposite direction as everyone else or pull in the correct way and throw a hose under the trailer to fill the water tank.
blane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 09:19 AM   #2

My 32bhds is the same. I don't like it either. I don't think the jayco designers actually use the products.

2014 Jayco Jay Flight 32 BHDS
2015 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.7L Powerstroke 4x4
nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 09:33 AM   #3

Your right I would agree with you there, thanks.
Old 02-07-2016, 09:37 AM   #4

My 2015 27RLS is the same as yours. I've considered installing a PVC pipe from side to side (with hose connectors and caps), but have just used a section of FW hose pulled under the trailer. But, we travel with full FW tanks and I've always filled the FW at our camp site, not at a dump location.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 09:38 AM   #5

Our 27DSRL has the Water Fill on the 'curb' side by the rear door. Usually just threw the Hose under the Camper from the back side!
Feel the same as nunyadamn. We wanted to buy a Fiver (Eagle 28.5 RSTS) at the Hershey show and found it had less than 9 inches of clearance between stove top & fan. Could not use our 12 cup coffee pot or our Stew pot.

015 Ford F250 Lariat SD
2015 Jayco WhiteHawk 27DSRL (Sold)
2017 KZ Durango D281RLT.
RSerendipity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 09:52 AM   #6

That is a brilliant idea with the mounted PVC pipe and fittings, that could be the answer right there, I see a future mod in the works now, thank you.
Old 02-07-2016, 10:22 AM   #7

Mine is the same way, I don't particularly like it either. However it's really not a huge issue for us because, like oldmanAZ, if our destination doesn't have water at the site I haul full tanks of water with me. At home it's not an issue getting a hose to the gravity fill as I can pull in anyway I prefer.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 10:44 AM   #8

[QUOTE=nunyadamn;375177] I don't think the jayco designers actually use the products.

Yes they do but in many cases it's not always feasible to run a water line with an integrated overflow outlet at the same height. Can it be done well the answer is yes but the people that buy these boxes want a huge discount and these people shop price almost if not every time. Will some of us pay more for these beefed up and added features, yes but not enough of us to have them build them.
Do I think the fresh water inlet for the holding tank is convenient on the curb side (NO I don't ).
What has been talked about is locking up that inlet because of your not so good neighbor adding something to your fresh water tank to make the whole family sick. It has happened and it's real easy to do and every manufacturer is aware of this hazard .
Old 02-07-2016, 11:03 AM   #9

My Jayflight 26rks has the fresh water fill on the curb side also. I actually like it. Where it is parked at home it is more convenient for me. My last TT had it on the other side. This just works out better for me.
don648 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 11:49 AM   #10

Our 267bhs has the gravity fill on the curb side as well. Most of the places that we have camped have had the water spigots used to fill the tank on the right side of the road. Therefore the inlet being on that side works well. I don't really recall anyplace that we have been that had a spigot in a spot that necessitated having to run a hose under the camper. This is talking about spigots used for filling the tank when you are arriving at a park. There are times when one of the water spigots spread around a park was close enough to run a hose to refill. Then I may have to run the hose under the camper. That would be the case if it were on the curb side with a water fill on the street side, you would have to do the same thing so it's a wash. If you want to talk about the designers not using the product, look at the tv mounting location in some units. You can't see it from the couch.
jenoble99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 12:25 PM   #11

I don't fill t dump stations so it's a none issue
2000 F250SD SRW 7.3 LB Extended Cab Air Bags
2002 Western Star 4900EX 500 Detroit 13sp.
2014 Eagle 30.5BHLT (sold)
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 12:26 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunyadamn View Post
My 32bhds is the same. I don't like it either. I don't think the jayco designers actually use the products.
Having owned our 32 BHDS only since this past July, and not seen it since the 3rd week of Oct (in winter hibernation), I had to stop and think where the fresh water fill was for a second! Lol Maybe it is just me, but it seems like it depends on where the kitchen sink/ cabinets are. Easier for the manufacture to run and hide the required plumbing.

Both of our last 2 trailers were street side. Guess I didn't think much about it. Can see advantages to both sides. Curb side being safer if you have the tt parked in the street while loading up/ filling for a trip. More convenient on street side to fill at the fresh water by the dump station.

BUT.... If the dump station has more than one "lane", what about pulling in so there is a lane on your right? Just use the fresh water outlet on the lane next to you (curb side of your tt)? Of course, only if it isn't being used by someone.

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 05:31 PM   #13

Some standards would be nice in the building of trailers as I'm sure they wouldn't put the doors on the opposite side just because they could or would they Oh well gives me something to think about during the winter while I am waiting to get back to the great outdoors.
Old 02-08-2016, 06:43 PM   #14

Saw a KZ Durango Fiver @ the Hershey show that had a Door on the Driver/Street side about 2/3 from the front. It was a front Living room so the door opened into the hallway then right into the Bathroom. Made more sense once you thought about it. Also easy to access all Connections, storage, etc.

"Always think outside the Box"

015 Ford F250 Lariat SD
2015 Jayco WhiteHawk 27DSRL (Sold)
2017 KZ Durango D281RLT.
RSerendipity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 06:59 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by blane View Post
Some standards would be nice in the building of trailers as I'm sure they wouldn't put the doors on the opposite side just because they could or would they Oh well gives me something to think about during the winter while I am waiting to get back to the great outdoors.
A standard like that will likely happen about the same time the auto manufactures make filling the fuel tank for ALL vehicles all on the drivers side! Lol We would never have to remember/ figure out which side it's on when driving a different vehicle, or the "better half's car. And think about how much smoother the cars would move through a gas station.

Standards would be nice! In both the auto and rv industry..... Well, we can only hope and dream, right!

Old 02-08-2016, 08:14 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by need-a-vacation View Post
A standard like that will likely happen about the same time the auto manufactures make filling the fuel tank for ALL vehicles all on the drivers side!
That's funny. I bought a used Subaru about 4 years ago and still find myself sometimes pulling in to fuel up on the drivers side only to realize it's on the other side.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 08:51 PM   #17

TC,

Had a Grand Am, then a Cobalt I drove for work at the time. Every so often I did the same thing.

Old 02-08-2016, 09:19 PM   #18

They make hose in all lengths. Just get a longer hose. I've never had a street side water fill. Always on the cub side. I like it better on the curb side. We boondock 90% of the time so I carry 3 extra 7 gal water jugs. I also have my battery door on the curbside. I have a table that we set up by the door near the fresh tank fill. I also have an extra 12V water pump for filling the fresh tank. The whole operation can be done on one side in one area.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 07:20 AM   #19

The gravity fill on my 2013 Eagle 266RKS TT is on the curb side, as well. It bothered me, at first, but I got use to attaching a FW fill hose to the CG Dump Station FW hose, then tossing it under the trailer. My City Water inlet is on the rear of my trailer, and that IS a pain. What bothers me most, though, is my BW rinse inlet is at the street-side rear corner of my rig, but my dump is roughly in the center (street-side) of my trailer. First couple of times out, I had to pull back & forth, between the dump drain and the rinse hose. Then had to pull around and park with the FW fill hose on my curb side, to fill the FW tank.

So now I have two 25' sections of FW hose, and two 25' sections of garden hose (for the BW rinse). When I dump & fill, I've got hoses laying all over the dump station. I also carry a tub of disinfecting wipes, so I can clean them off while coiling them up. To keep from holding up other campers, I try to arrive & leave most state park campgrounds on Monday or Tuesday, when the dumpsites aren't very busy.

It works for me.
Old 02-09-2016, 08:42 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by blane View Post
Our new trailer has the gravity water fill located on the door entry side of the trailer, all of our previous trailers have had the water fill on the opposite side with the black and grey tank valves, I am curios as to how many other Jaycos are setup like this and why, other wise I have to pull in to the water and waste station in the opposite direction as everyone else or pull in the correct way and throw a hose under the trailer to fill the water tank.
My 2014 287BHBE is the same. My old 1980 JayRaven is on the driver's side.

Swampy
Swampy is offline   Reply With Quote