Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Closed Thread

Old 01-18-2022, 02:36 PM   #1

Customer is NEVER right?

I just wanted to jump on here and grind on the ax a little. Maybe I can get a reply that will help me and give me an option or contact for help with my problem.
I have now bought my 5th Jayco and this one is a one owner. It is really only 8 months old. So “used” without any warranty transferred. Jayco has this policy and stands by it no matter what the situation. I found out that our Jay Feather we bought did not come with recliner tray tables. The original owner said it never came with them. So, I felt surely we could get some help with this…uh, wrong!
So here’s my silly story…
I emailed Jayco and started communicating with a service rep who informed me that this would be a warranty claim and they should have been included. With no evidence that the trays were included or not out of the factory, I could not get them shipped to me. You would think they would sign off on that at the factory. She informed me that the dealer that the coach went to has to check off after inspecting before it is put into inventory. She said to call dealer and inquire as to what happened. I did and after some time looking into that found that they did not have any evidence that the trays were or were not included. They admitted that the person checking it in did not do it right. So they didn’t know how to help. They would not try to work through warranty and get help for me since I’m the 2nd owner. I emailed numerous times with the service rep at Jayco with no progress. She said, on a phone call, in an argumentative tone, that Jayco could not just send out whatever a customer deemed missing with every request. And cited that they are not a retailer, so they can’t ship straight to me. They assume that the coach had the trays but had no evidence. The first owner contends that they were not included. And when I told rep about this she said, “how do we know that they weren’t stolen?” “How do we respond to every person calling and claiming all sorts of things being missing?” “We just send out whatever is asked for?”. My reply was simply, “that is not the case with my situation”. “I’m just asking for Jayco to include what was missing and solve the problem.” Note, the trays are $110. Can’t a multi million dollar company that boasts a 2+3 warranty just trust a customer a little and help them? Keep in mind, this coach is less than a year old. Ahhhh, but I’m the 2nd owner! All fair dealing and common sense goes out the door now! I thought the customer was right? I thought that fairness was a good business model? Am I wrong here? This may be the last Jayco for me.
Old 01-18-2022, 02:54 PM   #2
CAG

Quote:
They would not try to work through warranty and get help for me since I’m the 2nd owner

I understand the frustration and while you got a chance to vent, the first owner thing is a hard and fast rule that everyone here has probably had to deal with at one time or another. I did, and although I did not like it I understand where they are coming from. You just have to suck it up and perhaps someone here will know of a vendor that can help you with the item.

Old 01-18-2022, 03:00 PM   #3

Problem is "technically" you are not the customer...that was the first owner. The dealer is who should be making the effort to get the tables if they agreed that it was their error when they delivered the rig initially. If the original owner knew they were missing and never took action shame on them.
Old 01-18-2022, 03:19 PM   #4

Sorry, but I have to side with Jayco on this one. The only way there would be a legitimate claim would be if the original owner at noted at delivery that items were missing. And the dealer had agreed in writing that those items would be supplied.

Gee. I'm the third owner of a 10 year old unit and I just noticed that there is no TV in the bedroom. There is a sticker on the wall saying that it's the mounting spot for the bracket. "Hi Jayco. Please send me a TV and bracket. The one in my unit is missing"
Old 01-18-2022, 03:53 PM   #5

harryjr
I understand your logic. However, this Jayco is only 8 months old. They can't stand behind their product any more than this? It is poor customer service. That is the truth. I have tried to work with the dealer on this and have gotten a cold shoulder. And, I might add, the customer did not know that they needed to ask about the missing items. They didn't even know they were suppose to be in the coach.
Old 01-18-2022, 03:59 PM   #6

I disagree Grumpy. I am a customer of theirs to an extent. I chose to buy their product. Be it, from a private seller that chose before me, I did choose to buy it based on brand and my brand loyalty up to this point. Again, I've owned 5 of their coaches over the past 20 years. Some brand new, some used. I am a customer. I know the warranty is non-transferrable. I've known that for years. To me this is a missing accessory that should have been with the coach out of the factory. Now, if it did get included (which they cannot tell for some reason) and the dealer is screwing around, Jayco needs to address that as well. The dealers represent them. Not happy here. Thanks for your reply though.
Old 01-18-2022, 04:06 PM   #7

Thanks for the reply CAG. I probably will have to just suck it up and buy them at some point. Regardless of their NON-Transferrable warranty policy, this is a matter of treating a customer fairly and at the very least, offering to sell through the dealer warranty program, the trays at cost or something. There was no attempt at helping me. Again, I'm the 2nd owner only after 8 months of life on this coach. And, this is not a broken part or a defective part. It never was included and yet was part of the options paid for on this coach. My logic is this! Thanks!
Old 01-18-2022, 04:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemanhawk View Post
I disagree Grumpy. I am a customer of theirs to an extent.
That is why is said technically. JAYCO made no money from your purchase and unless you bought it used from the dealer, neither did they. Both made their profit from the original sale.
Old 01-18-2022, 04:19 PM   #9

Yeah, thanks Grumpy. I get it. I do.
Old 01-18-2022, 04:38 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemanhawk View Post
Ahhhh, but I’m the 2nd owner! All fair dealing and common sense goes out the door now! I thought the customer was right? I thought that fairness was a good business model? Am I wrong here? This may be the last Jayco for me.
I feel you are wrong. I've bought two used Jayco trailers, one Jayhawk and one 2012 Skylark. Both were one year old or less. Saved more than a few dollars. I also knew there was no transferable warranty. I looked both over carefully and made sure the major items worked well, gave them both an overall inspection, knowing I was buying "as is".
I thought everyone bought used trailers this way.

If it's the last Jayco for you as you state, that's your decision, but I know of no other brand that would treat your problem any different than Jayco did.

2022 Jayco 28.5 RSTS
Old 01-18-2022, 05:09 PM   #11

This sounds like it's between you and the previous owner. Neither Jayco nor the Dealer were involved in your transaction. Surely you inspected what you were buying, and negotiated your price based on exactly what you were getting, with no promises of anything other than what you had seen being included.
Old 01-18-2022, 05:47 PM   #12
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Problem is "technically" you are not the customer...that was the first owner. The dealer is who should be making the effort to get the tables if they agreed that it was their error when they delivered the rig initially. If the original owner knew they were missing and never took action shame on them.

My take on this totally.

Old 01-18-2022, 06:24 PM   #13

2nd owner. Sorry. As they have told you, they have no idea who is telling the truth and who is not. If you have ever worked with the public, say, retail, then you know that people will bet on their mothers eyes that those two chocolate bars in their pocket have already been paid for. And since you have no standing as a second owner, I just don’t think you should lose any more sleep over this. Could they absorb the loss? Sure. But why should they? You were not a customer to them.

If you have any recourse, it would be with the dealership. And we all know how that would turn out far in advance of your even picking up The phone to speak to them.
Old 01-18-2022, 06:34 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryjr View Post
Sorry, but I have to side with Jayco on this one. The only way there would be a legitimate claim would be if the original owner at noted at delivery that items were missing. And the dealer had agreed in writing that those items would be supplied.
X2 on this one
Attached Thumbnails
B692688C-B3F5-4C1B-BC0C-5C87969F993D.jpeg  
Old 01-18-2022, 08:40 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunce the traveler View Post
X2 on this one
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryjr View Post
X3 on this, its not Jayco's issue. I have bought a couple of Jayco's that were less than a year old, 2nd owner on both. I knew there wasn't a warranty. I worked with the dealer on everything i wanted before I purchased and took it off the lot. Once it was off the lot I was on my own, I can say I have a great dealer that has been great to me but I have purchased 4 trailers from them and referred many ppl to them.
Old 01-18-2022, 09:09 PM   #16

Sorry, but I think you’re being unreasonable here. You bought the rig as-is, knowing what was — or wasn’t— there. Buyer beware. Unless you know the seller implicitly, how do you know he didn’t voluntarily forego the tables and get a break on the price? If not, the gripe is between him and his dealer and that ship has long since sailed.

To complain about Jayco in this case is like you selling a car to someone, both knowing it didn’t have a spare tire, and that person selling it to yet another, who comes back to you demanding a tire. I’m guessing you’d tell him to take a hike.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
Old 01-18-2022, 09:14 PM   #17

2nd owner of a “used” trailer = NO warranty, period. Done deal!
Old 01-18-2022, 10:23 PM   #18

Customer is NEVER right?

One of the many problems with our country. Too many people feel they are a victim and are entitled to something. No accountability for ones own actions (or inaction), it’s always someone else’s fault.

OP I feel for you but you bought from a private party and you did not realize something that should have come with the camper originally was missing. Unfortunately that’s on you. Doesn’t matter if original owner never got it or not. When you buy used you buy what’s in front of you.
Old 01-18-2022, 11:33 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCo View Post
One of the many problems with our country. Too many people feel they are a victim and are entitled to something. No accountability for ones own actions (or inaction), it’s always someone else’s fault.

OP I feel for you but you bought from a private party and you did not realize something that should have come with the camper originally was missing. Unfortunately that’s on you. Doesn’t matter if original owner never got it or not. When you buy used you buy what’s in front of you.
Agree with this and all the others. They clearly have no warranty and just saying, “but you built it” doesn’t mean Jayco owes them stuff.
Old 01-19-2022, 06:15 AM   #20

We bought our 33RBTS new last fall. Not having the recliners was a show stopper, so the dealer swapped one out of another unit. Came with the trays that fit in the cup holders. Nice idea, but more of a pita as storing them during tow, getting in the chair with them on the chair, etc. We rarely use them. You are making a mountain out of a molehill in my opinion, and as stated, it was a used unit from a private owner.
2012 Jayco 32 BHDS: Long Gone
2007 R-Vision 25: Long Long Gone
1965 Frolic Cabover: My First RV
Closed Thread

Tags
customer service, recliner trays, warranty