Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-02-2021, 06:49 PM   #1

Customer service? Really?

I bought a 2020 Jayco 24ft Octane from a fellow who bought it brand new but never used it due to death of his spouse. So it was brand new but since I'm not the original owner it has no warranty. I understand that.

I sent the following message to Customer service:

Message: First trip out, the tv wall fell off, backsplash fell down, folded and glued itself together, tv wouldn't work on cable, outside speakers not working, one fold-out bench loose. After examination found tv antenna cables incorrectly wired, outside speakers not connected (don't know where yet), bench seat was not screwed on at one end, Bed frame fell apart at the outside corner. Fixed the antenna wiring, glued and reinforced the bedframe. Don't know what to do with the backsplash. Tried to fix the bench seat but it became evident the screws are self-drilling and tapping metal screws. I can't find them at the hardware store. Would you please send me some so we can use the seat? I'm shocked and dismayed at the shoddy workmanship on this trailer. You really need some quality control since it's obvious not much testing was done.

Here is Jayco's response:

Good morning, thank you for contacting Jayco Customer Service. Please be advised that the file associated with this VIN has been documented with the concerns outlined in your email correspondence. At this time the unit is no longer under warranty. You may still contact a dealership to have the unit evaluated if need be, but it would be retail responsibility. You may access the dealer locator at www.jayco.com Thank you, have a great day!

All I asked for was four screws! Unbelievable.
tlbranth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 06:56 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlbranth View Post

All I asked for was four screws! Unbelievable.
They never have shipped parts to a customer, everything has to go through a dealer.
Old 10-04-2021, 08:20 PM   #3

Do you have a picture of one of the screws and the backsplash you are having trouble with.

Ace hardware stores normally have a section of box of screws any fastener imaginable. Home Depot has a section too. Walmart also has self tapping screws
ggilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 09:31 PM   #4

I actually did find some screws that will probably work. They're the same size but the thread pitch isn't the same and they're phillips drive whereas the originals have an 8pt star drive (whatever that's called). I'd like to get everything the same for maintenance reasons. The backsplash is a metallic looking thing in 2 or 3 sections. It's got a foam sticky back to it. I'll try to get a pic tomorrow.
Old 10-05-2021, 08:07 AM   #5

Quote:
I actually did find some screws that will probably work. They're the same size but the thread pitch isn't the same and they're phillips drive whereas the originals have an 8pt star drive (whatever that's called). I'd like to get everything the same for maintenance reasons. The backsplash is a metallic looking thing in 2 or 3 sections. It's got a foam sticky back to it. I'll try to get a pic tomorrow.
there are 700 different fasteners in a camper they buy whatever is cheapest and normally use staples.

Klein Tools 32500 Multi-Bit Screwdriver / Nut Driver 11-in-1 Multi Tool, 8 Industrial Strength Bits, 3 Nut Driver Sizes, Cushion Grip Handle
by Amazon.com
Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0015SBILG...R6RX0D5ACD2PZT
Old 10-05-2021, 09:30 AM   #6

Regarding the outside speakers, check and see if you have an unlabeled switch near the door and if so, flip the switch and try the audio again.

Bolts and screws can be found at most hardware stores and if you need a special fastener, then Fastenal will most likely have it. Thread pitch isn't a huge concern with most screws that screw into an RV (or similar) although the screw size is important both length and width, contrasted to a bolt that has a nut or machined hole that the bolt threads must match. ~CA
Old 10-05-2021, 11:43 AM   #7

also the Fade balance control on the radio are used to switch from the inside to outside speakers. it may set to inside only. Ex all front or all back or all left or all right.
Old 10-05-2021, 11:51 AM   #8

I put an ohm meter on the leads at the source and there was no continuity.
Old 10-06-2021, 05:52 AM   #9

Quote:
The backsplash is a metallic looking thing in 2 or 3 sections. It's got a foam sticky back to it. I'll try to get a pic tomorrow.
Stick-on backsplashes are widely available at the big box stores (Lowes, HD, Menards, etc) and reasonably priced. It shouldn't be too hard to find something that comes reasonably close to what was there.
2019 Jayco Jayflight 28RLS (New York)
The latest government survey finds that 3 out of 4 people account for 75% of the total population.
JB13502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 06:08 AM   #10

Very happy with the Smart Tile Stick On Tile backsplash that I installed in my TT. Cost about $100. Turned out and looks very good, gave the solid tan wall a nice look. We do not cook in ours, so the grease spatter is no problem.
Old 10-06-2021, 11:10 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB13502 View Post
Stick-on backsplashes are widely available at the big box stores (Lowes, HD, Menards, etc) and reasonably priced. It shouldn't be too hard to find something that comes reasonably close to what was there.
Didn't know that. Thanks for the info.
Old 10-09-2021, 03:25 PM   #12

Oh man. You absolutely got one GIANT SCREW.

Pathetic doesn't even begin to describe that "customer service"....sorry for your rotten luck.
Della is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 03:50 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
They never have shipped parts to a customer, everything has to go through a dealer.
My new Jayco had some scratches on the vinyl wallpaper near the floor. Jayco sent me a generous supply, direct.
Marmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 04:20 PM   #14

Very Bad play Jayco

I have to agree. I have a Jayco and love it but there are small issues but I think that comes with the territory. I've called their customer service and they simply are no help and that reflects VERY poorly with me. I think the next time I get a camper I'll look for a company that has better customer service. I had a simple question in which I was looking for a specific answer and they wouldn't step outside of a canned "safe" answer. I really got the feeling that they don't appriciate their customers. Sorry but that was the feeling I left with.
Kristian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 06:24 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristian View Post
I think the next time I get a camper I'll look for a company that has better customer service.
I'm not sure that company exists in the RV world.
Riich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 07:30 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristian View Post
I have to agree. I have a Jayco and love it but there are small issues but I think that comes with the territory. I've called their customer service and they simply are no help and that reflects VERY poorly with me. I think the next time I get a camper I'll look for a company that has better customer service. I had a simple question in which I was looking for a specific answer and they wouldn't step outside of a canned "safe" answer. I really got the feeling that they don't appriciate their customers. Sorry but that was the feeling I left with.
Check each manufacturers independent forums. You will be happier with a premium brand like Airstream. They will cost double or triple what you paid but they will send you screws when theirs fail.
Old 10-10-2021, 07:53 AM   #17

Welcome new posters.
Old 10-10-2021, 08:03 AM   #18

Back in 2016 when jayco was bought by Thor , I had issues with my radio/sound system .
They shipped directly to me a new radio to have my dealer install, (I knew they would loose!)
But it was like pulling I teeth getting them to work with me.
And my unit was under warranty.
greyhawktom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 08:11 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riich View Post
I'm not sure that company exists in the RV world.
X3
It don't.
gunafulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 07:19 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaftCoach View Post
Check each manufacturers independent forums. You will be happier with a premium brand like Airstream. They will cost double or triple what you paid but they will send you screws when theirs fail.
I talked to two Airstream RVers this summer that both complained nonstop about issues they were having with their units. You are right about the double and triple cost, but I think they are suffering in the quality department also from what I was hearing. Both of the units were new. It's unfortunate....
Riich is offline   Reply With Quote