Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-14-2013, 08:00 AM   #1

Cutting a hole and putting in a new storage door?

I'm sure everyone with the Jayco 268BHS floorplan has thought of this.

This is the only complaint I have so far on this TT. Yes, the front storage compartment is huge and connects to under the bed so a LOT of storage......BUT, there is only an access door on one side of the TT. So it has a storage compartment that goes all the way through the front, but you can't get to half of it. Anyway, has anyone contacted the dealer to find out if they can put in a new access door on the slide out side of the camper? Would this void my warranty if dealer does it? Any ideas how much it would cost? (guess I need to contact my dealer, but thought I'd ask here. )

Here's my floor plan.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:21 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

That's strange , and in that case it sure can't be referred to as a "pass-thru". I have seen some folks add storage access doors in other locations on different floor plans over the years.., but this is the first time I heard that only one door was provided for a "pass-thru".

Out of curiosity I would contact Jayco directly and see what they have to say ......., let us know.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:38 AM   #3

It does appear to be one of the cost cutting measures on the Swift line. Every floor plan for 2013 only has a single right side door for the front "pass through" storage area. I have seen where others had a access cut out and a storage door installed. However the ones I'm familiar with are all fiberglass sided TT, not Aluminum.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:42 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
It does appear to be one of the cost cutting measures on the Swift line. Every floor plan for 2013 only has a single right side door for the front "pass through" storage area. I have seen where others had a access cut out and a storage door installed. However the ones I'm familiar with are all fiberglass sided TT, not Aluminum.
Yeah I noticed it when we were looking at buying the camper. And I figured it was a cost saving measure which I was fine with. And as it is now, there is enough storage in the camper that I don't even use the off side of that storage anyway. ha We went from a pop-up to this camper so we had learned to condense the items we take with us. BUT, I would like to have a door over there anyway. maybe to keep a plastic bin with the sewer hoses in or something like that to keep them away from anything else. I'll contact my dealer to find out how much it would cost and I'll let all of you know since I'm sure others would like to know ballpark for their 267BHS.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:15 AM   #5

I would definitely contact JAYCO since your warranty states any unauthorized modifications could totally void it.

Personally I doubt they would have an issue as long as it is done by one of their dealers, unless it is done improperly and caused a delamination issue.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:14 AM   #6

I'd be surprised if they asked their customers, pass through or not and showed the cost difference if ANY would choose no pass through. Seems like a lack of understanding than anything.
kyeroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:58 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I have the same design except my dinette couch is up front.
I may look into a 2nd door on the other side as well.
Getting access to that area through the couch is a pain.

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:09 PM   #8

I emailed my dealer. It would void the warranty. He said Jayco is really strict when it comes to modifying the wall, roof, floor areas. Oh well. There is a crazy amount of storage in this unit so I'm not worried about it. Ive got more storage than I could fill up as it is anyway. ha

But, I still emailed Jayco directly just to see what their reason was for not putting a door on that side. Just to see. I'll let you all know what they respond.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:01 PM   #9
Site Team

Since the Jayflight sister 25BHS (shown below) has storage doors on each side I cannot imagine anything structurally important being in the way of putting in a door there in the Swift version. It must be one of the ways they reduce overall cost in the Swift over the Jayflight lineup. Of course if it would void the warranty, I would live with it for two years before modifying.

Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:44 PM   #10

Have you thought about cutting a acess door in lower wardrobe/side table next to the bed? If you or someone you know is a handy woodworker I imagine you could make something that looked quite nice that would give direct access to that side of psuedo-pass-through storage area.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:48 PM   #11

yeah I figured I'll just deal with it for a couple years, then look at it again. Hopefully it wouldn't void the roof warranty or anything like that since its a lot longer warranty. But who knows. ha
Old 03-14-2013, 03:09 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
Have you thought about cutting a acess door in lower wardrobe/side table next to the bed? If you or someone you know is a handy woodworker I imagine you could make something that looked quite nice that would give direct access to that side of psuedo-pass-through storage area.
Yes,
I did see that mod someone posted. That's certainly an option I will look at first. Just depending on what I end up loading out in that area. A couple cabinet doors and a jig saw :-)

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 09:36 AM   #13

I recently purchased this camper used, I am looking to add another storage door to the other side of the camper did anybody end up doing this mod? If so any advice?
booson is offline   Reply With Quote