Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-12-2015, 06:38 PM   #1

Dang Bike rack

Who else has the slide out bike rack on the back o there camper. Whoever designed it must have never put more then two bikes on it. First try to load the bike without hitting the camper , it is very difficult , lucky I take my time and it has not happen. Considering the bikes are metal and camper is fiberglass. Then the bikes hit and rub into each other so you have to put old blankets or something between them. Now you have to secure the dang bikes,that's always fun. Does anyone else who has this bike rack have any tips. Or how do you use the bike rack. It is driving me crazy almost wish I didn't get it.

2008 FORD F250 FX4 XLT DIESEL
2013 JAYCO EAGLE 314BDS(Ordered)
2023 JAYCO EAGLE 312BHOK
Donedroolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 08:15 PM   #2

I hear you, I hated that factory installed cargo/bike tray. I found a solution...

1) I uninstalled the factory cargo/bike tray.
2) I promptly gave it away to the first person willing to trade me for a case of beer.
3). I took the TT to a custom hitch shop who welded a custom frame supported 2" receiver for ~$300
4) I now use any of the number of receiver mounted bike racks. I have both a 4 bike frame hanger and a 4 bike cargo tray type.

It's no surprise to me that Jayco did away with the cargo/bike rack option and now offer a 2" accessory receiver.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 08:28 PM   #3

Working on a 5 bike rack that mounts to the truck bed rails. Genset mounted on rack / receiver hitch on rear so don't carry them there. Didn't want them mounted on the front above the gas tanks as we can't carry enough there. Only option was on top of the bed rails where we could still utilize the truck bed.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 01:20 PM   #4

What's a good 4 bike rack for the 2" receiver? My camper has the pre installed receiver hitch and I need just the rack. I've done a lot of reading and a few look good. Suggestions? Thanks
Swinepartner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 01:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swinepartner View Post
What's a good 4 bike rack for the 2" receiver? My camper has the pre installed receiver hitch and I need just the rack. I've done a lot of reading and a few look good. Suggestions? Thanks
Keep in mind that many bike rack manufacturers state in their documentation that they are not recommended for use on the backs of trailers. The one I know that does not say that is Swagman. My trailer doesn't support use of a bike rack on the back, but I do have a Swagman rack that I use on my truck's receiver. I've had it for close to 10 years and it's been sturdy and reliable.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 02:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
Keep in mind that many bike rack manufacturers state in their documentation that they are not recommended for use on the backs of trailers. The one I know that does not say that is Swagman. My trailer doesn't support use of a bike rack on the back, but I do have a Swagman rack that I use on my truck's receiver. I've had it for close to 10 years and it's been sturdy and reliable.
Thanks DocBrown....I'll make sure to look for that info as I keep looking.
Swinepartner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 05:56 PM   #7

Not sure if I really wanna remove the bike rack. I do use it to carry other small items. Wonder if I could install a receiver with the rack on it. By the sounds of it here that may not even be a good idea to install the receiver.

2008 FORD F250 FX4 XLT DIESEL
2013 JAYCO EAGLE 314BDS(Ordered)
2023 JAYCO EAGLE 312BHOK
Donedroolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 06:18 PM   #8

I had the same problem that most bike racks are not rated for the back of an RV. I saw my sister and her husband lose over $1000 worth of bikes when their generic bike rack broke and sent their bikes bouncing down the highway. I found one called the Dispatch 2 Bike Rack by Danik Industries. It is a little more expensive, but this thing is well made and will not break. It is made of 2" square steal. It can be used on the back of an RV or truck/car. Very nice design. I got mine at Camping World Dispatch Two-Bike Rack - Swagman 68684 - Bike Racks - Camping World

I also saw that in the Jayco owner's manual they limit the weight on the back bumper to 100lbs. That is not entirely true. I called Jayco and they told me if you have the welded bumper it can handle 800 to 900 lbs. They just put the generic 100lbs in the owner manual to keep it simple and to keep people from over loading the RV bumper and towing behind the camper.

Dale
2015 Jayco Whitehawk 24RDB
2015 Ford F-150 3.5L Ecoboost 3.55
Golds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 09:32 PM   #9

Geez. I got a welded bumper, but I wouldn't put 900 on the receiver hitch I have, much less that bumper. The hitch only has a 300 LB rating. Probably would hold more, but in my opinion is limited by the frame mounts and bolts. Pretty much why I came back and rewelded the frame mounts and added grade 8 bolts. Even still, I only have maybe 150 Lbs on the back. Maybe one of our previous rigs where I cut off the stock and built my own bumper I would have put that kind of weight.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 06:18 AM   #10

I agree, I thought that numbers was very high. I would never put that kind of weight on the back of the trailer. But the point was a welded bumper should be strong enough for a spare tire and bike rack.

Dale
2015 Jayco Whitehawk 24RDB
2015 Ford F-150 3.5L Ecoboost 3.55
Golds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 07:05 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golds View Post
I also saw that in the Jayco owner's manual they limit the weight on the back bumper to 100lbs. That is not entirely true. I called Jayco and they told me if you have the welded bumper it can handle 800 to 900 lbs. They just put the generic 100lbs in the owner manual to keep it simple and to keep people from over loading the RV bumper and towing behind the camper.
It actually depends on the trailer model. The weight limit is entirely accurate for Jayfeather Ultralite hybrids (not the SLX however, different frame type entirely).
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 08:16 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donedroolin View Post
Not sure if I really wanna remove the bike rack. I do use it to carry other small items. Wonder if I could install a receiver with the rack on it. By the sounds of it here that may not even be a good idea to install the receiver.
The way my receiver is fabricated and welded to the frame I-beams on each side, I don't see how you can have both a receiver and bike/cargo tray.

If you are talking about the receiver that mounts to the bumper, then yeah -- it's not a good idea. Properly fabricated and welded receivers are not an issue for bike racks or cargo trays.
Old 10-14-2015, 08:25 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golds View Post
It's interesting that Jayco told you that. I called them as well before I had my hitch fabricated and was tossing around the bumper mounted receiver. They told me in no uncertain terms that my "welded steel" bumper was not built or rated to support more than a 100lbs static load. The dynamic load from bikes extended from the bumper would put way more stress than a 100lbs static load.
Old 10-14-2015, 09:25 AM   #14

Anybody got pics of there beefed up factory bumpers?
Treatcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 09:39 AM   #15

Good 4-Bike Rack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swinepartner View Post
I got a 2" hitch receiver custom fab'd and welded to the TT frame (dealer used a local weld shop to make the receiver). I then bought an "RV-approved" Swagman 4-bike rack from Amazon that has worked well for me so far (Amazon.com : Swagman XP 4-Bike Standard Hitch Mount Rack (2" Receiver) : Automotive Bike Racks : Sports & Outdoors. Rack is super strong and handles bikes well. Don't forget to purchase the optional special cross-bar adapters for any girls bikes/non-standard frame bikes.

Hope that helps.
Honda EU3000is
DW, DD x 2 (10 y/o twins), DS x 2 (8 & 6 y/o), and "Oscar" the Weiner Dog
rtbreeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 10:07 AM   #16

I am watching this thread with interest because I had hoped to weld a one inch or two inch receiver on the back bumper , and because I saw that the rear frame member is only 9 or 10 inches away from the steel bumper , I would join the two with the receiver square stock , thus reinforcing the bumper to the frame with an extra middle location (besides the existing bolts) I had hoped to also modify the spare tire attachment and make it into one that fits in the receiver (with lock pin like a hitch). But then just remove the spare tire apparatus , when I want to pull my small aluminum boat behind my trailer ( hitch weight maybe 100 lbs and overall weight with trailer 600 maybe. but now you folks worry me that it is not even made to handle a bike rack. What if I reinforce the bumper bolts to better grade and with receiver joined to frame , that would be more than many a small car has to tow with ....thoughts ???

trailer is 2012 185 SLX and tow vehicle is GMC truck 2014 V8
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 03:23 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
I am watching this thread with interest because I had hoped to weld a one inch or two inch receiver on the back bumper , and because I saw that the rear frame member is only 9 or 10 inches away from the steel bumper , I would join the two with the receiver square stock , thus reinforcing the bumper to the frame with an extra middle location (besides the existing bolts) I had hoped to also modify the spare tire attachment and make it into one that fits in the receiver (with lock pin like a hitch). But then just remove the spare tire apparatus , when I want to pull my small aluminum boat behind my trailer ( hitch weight maybe 100 lbs and overall weight with trailer 600 maybe. but now you folks worry me that it is not even made to handle a bike rack. What if I reinforce the bumper bolts to better grade and with receiver joined to frame , that would be more than many a small car has to tow with ....thoughts ???

trailer is 2012 185 SLX and tow vehicle is GMC truck 2014 V8
Not sure about the laws everywhere, but where I live tandem towing is only permissible behind a 5th wheel.
Old 10-15-2015, 05:32 AM   #18

It is permissible in Ontario Canada, just limited by overall length (so not just 5th wheels) , I am well within those length limits
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote