Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-13-2016, 08:52 PM   #1

De-Winterizing

I'm curious what others do. When the spring thaw finally arrives and I can remove the pink antifreeze from the water lines should I just flush all of the supply lines real good or should I try and run a little bleach through them also? We never use the water holding tank so I don't know of any reason to sanitize it. If y'all suggest I sanitize then I can fill the fresh water tank partially along with small amount of bleach and use the 12 volt pump to push the mixture through the water supply lines. All suggestions welcomed yay or nay!

2015 Jayco 18 SRB
2008 Toyota Taco 4.0L V6
Equal-l-izer WDH
One DW
One sweet old puppy dog
krcarter54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 09:01 PM   #2
Site Team

I don`t drink water from the tank but do use it, and always sanitize the system in the Spring when dewinterizing. Even if you don`t use the tank I think you should sanitize the system so the lines are cleaned.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 09:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
I don`t drink water from the tank but do use it, and always sanitize the system in the Spring when dewinterizing. Even if you don`t use the tank I think you should sanitize the system so the lines are cleaned.
We DO use and drink the water from our FW tank.

And I agree with Crabman, you should sanitize the system (even if you don't drink the water) to help ensure things you don't want in your water system GROW to be a big problem.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 01:14 PM   #4

One of my projects for this Spring is to figure out a better way of sanitizing the FW tank and water lines. The bleach/water system wastes so much water! I am a home brewer and they have a "no rinse" product for use in sanitizing brewing equipment and bottles so I figure there must be a better way

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 01:36 PM   #5

O.K. so here's the product. 1oz per 5 gallons. I see no reason why this wouldn't be better than the bleach/water mixture (except the cost, but that's not bad).
Amazon.com: Star San- 32 oz: Industrial & Scientific

2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
Old 02-14-2016, 01:43 PM   #6

wouldn't you still have to fill and rinse out freshwater tank
Old 02-14-2016, 01:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintinfool3 View Post
wouldn't you still have to fill and rinse out freshwater tank
I think you would add the star san to the FW tank, then fill the tank with water and run the faucets for awhile and then dump it. It would save filling the tank a second and/or third time to eliminate the bleach and bleach smell/taste. For me that would save 40 to 80 gallons of water. I need to run it by the manufacturer just to make sure it is recommended.

2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
Old 02-14-2016, 07:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutslayer View Post
One of my projects for this Spring is to figure out a better way of sanitizing the FW tank and water lines. The bleach/water system wastes so much water! I am a home brewer and they have a "no rinse" product for use in sanitizing brewing equipment and bottles so I figure there must be a better way
But don't you sanitize the brewing equipment with hot, not cold, water? I make wine and always use hot. Just asking.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 08:15 PM   #9

Fill your FW tank with the beach solution. Pump enough into all the lines to insure the solution has gotten to everything. Let it set for the prescribed amount of time, then drain the tank. Refill with just enough water to pump fresh water through all the piping and then drain the tank. You are good to go until you fill up the next time you plan to use your camper. No need to rinse as any remaining bleach will be diluted by the fill up of the tank and other than taste it won't hurt you.
Old 02-14-2016, 08:41 PM   #10

If you do not use the fw tank, I would sanitize it along with your piping. Fill the fw tank and pipes. Let it sit overnight, drain, I use the pump too, just to get the water out of the tank faster. Add a little clean water to the tank to dilute the remaining bleach water and drain. Connect your hose to the city water connection, and flush the water lines until the smell and taste of bleach is gone. Now your safe for the just in case senerio.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 08:50 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cekkk View Post
But don't you sanitize the brewing equipment with hot, not cold, water? I make wine and always use hot. Just asking.
I've never used hot, or even warm water and I don't believe there are instructions calling for a certain water temp (I could be proved wrong on this). Previously, with granular sanitizers I used warm water but only to dissolve quicker. The only possible problem with using this type of sanitizer would be the foam that can be created by the sanitizer. The other possible benefit is that it only takes two minutes of contact in order to sanitize whereas the bleach/water system calls for a minimum of 4 hours. Still researching

2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
Old 02-14-2016, 09:02 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by us71na View Post
Refill with just enough water to pump fresh water through all the piping and then drain the tank. You are good to go until you fill up the next time you plan to use your camper. No need to rinse as any remaining bleach will be diluted by the fill up of the tank and other than taste it won't hurt you.
My Jayco Owner's Manual says to completely fill and drain with potable water and drain (after the bleach/water treatment). It also says that if the chlorine taste still lingers fill the tank again with a solution of vinegar water.

2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
Old 02-14-2016, 09:09 PM   #13

I also hate wasting all that water to sanitize the FW tank we rarely use. This year, I plan to flush the anti-freeze with the city water then use the winterizing port to sanitize the lines while the water heater is still bypassed. If I need to use the FW tank later down the line, I'll sanitize it.

I also homebrew and checked the Star San label and it does not specify a water temp. I believe it's an acid based sanitizer so it's probably not temperature dependent.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 07:20 AM   #14

From the 2015 Eagle manual:
SANITIZING THE PLUMBING SYSTEM When to sanitize
 When your RV is new.
 At the beginning and end of each season.
 When the water system becomes contaminated or every three months of use.
How to sanitize with a water pump
1. Level the RV and drain the fresh water system. (see Draining the fresh
water system).
2. Close the drain valves.
3. Prepare a chlorine solution using 1/4 cup of household bleach (sodium hypochlorite solution) to one gallon (3.785 liters) of water in a container. Prepare one gallon of solution for every 15 gallons of tank capacity. This will result in a residual chlorine concentration of 50 ppm in the water system. If a 100-ppm concentration is required as discussed in step 10, use 1⁄2 cup of household bleach with one gallon of water to prepare the chlorine solution. One gallon of the solution should be used for each 15 gallons of tank capacity.
4. Pour the chlorine solution in at the gravity fill connection (if so equipped).
5. Continue filling the fresh water tank with potable water until it is full.
6. Turn the water pump ON.
7. After the recommended amount of solution is in the tank, turn OFF the water pump.
8. Open the hot water line on all the faucets until water begins to flow continuously and a chlorine smell is noticeable.
9. Close the hot water lines and repeat with the cold water lines on the faucets.
10. Let the solution remain in the system for at least four hours when disinfecting with 50-PPM residual chlorine. If a shorter time period is desired, then a 100- PPM chlorine concentration should be permitted to sit in the system for at least one hour.
11. After the required period, drain the chlorine solution from the fresh water system (see Draining the fresh water system).

Some solution may remain in the water heater and will be flushed in the following steps:
12. Fill the fresh water system completely full using clean (potable) water.
13. Then,drainthefreshwatersystem(seeDrainingthefreshw atersystem).
NOTE: If a chlorine taste lingers in the water, flush the water system with a solution consisting of one-quart vinegar to five gallons of clean water. Re-flush as necessary.

I followed this and worked well. As others mentioned when I re-filled fresh water tank I used the pump and drained through the faucetts and toilet. 2 advantages I believe. 1. Faster way to drain and 2. Ensures through flush of water lines.
Old 02-22-2016, 07:00 PM   #15

[QUOTE=krcarter54;377045]I'm curious what others do. When the spring thaw finally arrives and I can remove the pink antifreeze from the water lines should I just flush all of the supply lines real good or should I try and run a little bleach through them also? We never use the water holding tank so I don't know of any reason to sanitize it. If y'all suggest I sanitize then I can fill the fresh water tank partially along with small amount of bleach and use the 12 volt pump to push the mixture through the water supply lines. All suggestions welcomed yay or nay!

if you don't use your fresh water tank then you don't have to sanitize through your fresh water tank. Sanitize thru the same tube where you added the antifreeze at the water pump for winter. You waste almost no fresh water.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg