Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-14-2011, 09:29 AM   #1

dead battery

I finally got my Jayco Jayflight 26 BH home the other day. They finally got the solar panel attached and everything seemed to be working. A couple of nice sunny days and I had power to spare, except this morning as it was cloudy.

I had gone out yesterday moring before the sun had risen and tried to start my furnace. The fan kicked on and it sounded like the furnace kicked on, but the fan ran slower and slower and kicked off. Then I heard a clicking noise. I turned it off and waited a bit and tried again. Same thing happed. I checked my solar panel's control panel and it showed about 11 volts and that the battery was 100% charged, but it showed 0.0 amps.

I did some research on the settings for my solar panel control and it indicated that it was set to charge AGM batteries. The first option was for flooded cell batteries and the second option was for charging gell batteries and the last option was for charging the previously mentioned AGM. The battery that was installed was an Interstate Cranking/Marine 24M-RD battery, which, if I am not misstaken, is a flooded cell battery. I changed the charge settings to flooded cell on the control panel and now I was showing 0.6 amps. I attempted to start my furnace and it finally worked. The amps jumped to 1.4 and eventually went to 2.0 amps before I shut off the furnace. I left everything alone to allow the batteries to charge correctly.

This morning I started the furnace and it ran a few minutes and quit, but with no clicking this time. The battery was completely dead. With no sunlight to speak off it couldn't run off the solar panels either.

Did charging the flooded cell battery on an AGM setting permanently damage the battery?
IronmanMLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 11:39 AM   #2

I think you can damage an AGM by charging it as a wet cell. But charging a wet cell as an AGM shouldn't kill it. I could be way off on this, but I think that is correct
Old 03-14-2011, 04:17 PM   #3

Dead already

That would probably mean the battery had a problem to begin with. Hopefully the solar panels charge controller doesn't have a problem. In that event, I may not want to spend too much on the batteries replacement till I know for sure. Even so I would still want a 50ah to 100ah battery.

Thanks.
Old 03-14-2011, 05:26 PM   #4

If your battery was not charged to begin with and you have left things on like your antanna amp, you may not be getting enough sun to get charged up this time of year. I would pull the battery and put it on a charger to make sure itis still ok.

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:35 PM   #5

charge

Quote:
Originally Posted by tafische View Post
If your battery was not charged to begin with and you have left things on like your antanna amp, you may not be getting enough sun to get charged up this time of year. I would pull the battery and put it on a charger to make sure itis still ok.
Nothing was left on, however I just recently brought it home from the dealer and what condition the battery was then I don't know. I will go ahead and put it on a charger. In the mean time I ordered a deep cycle battery to replace it anyways, but may find other uses for the present battery after that.

Thanks.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:30 PM   #6

If you have just a single battery the sensors in the trailer will drain it in just a few days. Plug it in if possible.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 04:44 PM   #7

Any battery that has a CCA rating on it is not a true deep cycle battery no matter what they tell you.... and will have a very short life span... 2-3 years..
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 05:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch View Post
If you have just a single battery the sensors in the trailer will drain it in just a few days. Plug it in if possible.
I always had a battery switch on my boats and my one TT. My marine batteries lasted several seasons.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 07:26 PM   #9

If the refrigerator needs 12v he will not be able to shut off the battery.
Old 03-16-2011, 02:33 AM   #10

Quote:
Even with the solar panels?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seann45 View Post
Any battery that has a CCA rating on it is not a true deep cycle battery no matter what they tell you.... and will have a very short life span... 2-3 years..
I purchased an Exide Orbital 34XCD which does have a CCA rating. I didn't want to go too expensive. In the future I will be adding a second battery and I'll will spend a little more on the batteries I use in that situation. For now, two to three years is plenty.

Quote:
If the refrigerator needs 12v he will not be able to shut off the battery.
I know it will run off propane or electricity, but I don't know what voltages are required or if it needs constant electrical power or not.

Thanks.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:12 PM   #11

If you are using the refrigerator on propane you need a constant source of 12volt power. The refrigerator probably does not have a pilot light. If you are using the water heater it too will need power if it dosen't have a pilot light.