Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-29-2018, 08:13 AM   #1

Dead Power Jack

Hello,

I have a 2013 26BHS Jayflight Swift and it has been parked for about 20 months. I wanted to move it to do some tree branch pruning above it, but the power jack is unresponsive.

New 30 amp fuse, battery charged, and even when connected to my truck, the jack is deader than a door nail.

Is this common? I'm looking at a new jack at etrailer, but if there is something I'm missing, I thought I would check here first. Thanks.
ATXED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 08:27 AM   #2

The common problems you seem to have addressed: A blown fuse (it was the 30amp on the tongue near the jack, correct?) or dead battery. Was the fuse you replaced, blown? Have you checked the new fuse to see if it blew, too?

Did you have the jack covered those 20months? Have you tried the jack manually? It's possible the switch is bad or the internal gears are damaged due to water and/or freezing.

That's all I can think of until I get another cup of coffee. I'm sure others will chime in shortly with more ideas.

Good luck.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 09:05 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply. The old fuse was not blown, but I swapped it out for good measure as I've researched the problem here in the forum. Both fuses are good. I put a 5 gallon bucket over the jack while the TT is parked to keep the sun & rain off it.

I will try to raise it manually, as I'll need to do that to replace it.
Old 08-29-2018, 10:03 AM   #4

Here's a link to the pic. https://ibb.co/nCwoq9

I took the cover off and found this.

I should have checked this when I bought the trailer back in 2016. Half of the nut for the manual jack is missing. Hmmm.
Old 08-29-2018, 10:43 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXED View Post
Thanks for the reply. The old fuse was not blown, but I swapped it out for good measure as I've researched the problem here in the forum. Both fuses are good. I put a 5 gallon bucket over the jack while the TT is parked to keep the sun & rain off it.

I will try to raise it manually, as I'll need to do that to replace it.
I checked my fuse too and it was good but still dead i even replaced the switch ... ended up the holder was not connecting the fuse... so I had to push the cord into the holder further then pinch the connector a bit and then put the fuse in and outside the holder if you will and it worked.. then pushed it back together and works all the time now.. I would like to go to a blade fuse or a 30amp breaker...
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 01:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by curver900 View Post
I checked my fuse too and it was good but still dead i even replaced the switch ... ended up the holder was not connecting the fuse... so I had to push the cord into the holder further then pinch the connector a bit and then put the fuse in and outside the holder if you will and it worked.. then pushed it back together and works all the time now.. I would like to go to a blade fuse or a 30amp breaker...
That did it. I pushed the wire on both ends of the fuse holder into the holder and now the jack works. Thanks! I will replace it with a 30 AMP marine inline breaker with reset button.

Love this forum!
Old 08-30-2018, 01:17 PM   #7

Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote