Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-18-2016, 10:57 PM   #1

Dealer prep

Ok guys, researching toward our first trailer. From what I've seen it looks like 35% off MSRP is a realistic target. I was looking at the tags on some units today at a dealer, they tagged on $1800 destination fee plus almost $1200 for dealer prep. My experience with cars and bikes is that destination fees are just a fact of life, but dealer prep is BS, I've never paid it. What's typical in the trailer/rv world?

Thanks
Jetfixer03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 11:00 PM   #2

I've never paid dealer prep!
Old 08-19-2016, 04:27 AM   #3
Site Team

My rig had a dealer prep figure of $250.on the sales invoice. By the time we got thru negotiating the actual sales price, It did not bother me.

When we came to pick the unit up, it was clean, full of propane and 2 new batteries. It has power water and was sitting at the side door. Everything was on and working so someone has been over the unit pretty good. The salesman went over operation of everything in and out that we needed to know.

We found a few minor things that were corrected before we left.

So long story is I don't have a clue what the $250 was for but it was not a major concern.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 06:47 AM   #4

I just feel like it's their job as a retailer to inspect before delivery. Even if you agree that they should get paid for prep, $1200 in labor...come on, BS. In the grand scheme of things I could eat $250, but I'd still gripe about it.
Jetfixer03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 07:47 AM   #5

Pretty much all dealers today, car, boat, RV, charge some sort of prep fee. There are no rules around this so fees can range from $50 to hundreds. My dealer charged something $125. Not too bad. The 2 car dealers I like, they charge around $100. $1200? I'd walk away.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 07:59 AM   #6

$250.00 is about average, and that includes installing (and testing) all of the stuff that is still in boxes from the factory, washing, vacuuming, filling the propane and water tanks, de-winterizing, etc. IMHO, well worth it.
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 08:08 AM   #7

I don't have an issue with a reasonable dealer prep charge. Afterall, they have to install a battery w/ battery box and have to fill the propane tanks. Some also include a RV starter kit. They also have to spend some time making sure the factory did their job and assembled the trailer correctly. They also have to install the television(s) as they come in boxes from the factory. As do the tire covers and tank covers if the unit has them. Some dealers will also help you set up your hitch package at no additional charge. These things aren't included in the factory's MSRP from which we all think we should be able to deduct 35% for our purchase price.

Considering a lot of the dealers are small, family owned businesses there often isn't room to include these things for no additional cost to the purchase price (remember, we already talked them down 35%). They have to cover their overheads plus make a profit (btw, profit is not a dirty word) in order to stay open so that they can do service work (including warranty) for us when we have an issue.

While I'm on my rant, let's consider how hard it is to find good RV technicians. They have to be part carpenter, electrician, HVAC and plumber. They also have to have experience with propane systems. Not an easy combination to find and when you do they can't be cheap. Use the term manometer to most 20 somethings and they are going to think you made the word up.

I digress, back to the topic at hand.

Having said all of that, if I am going to pay for them to go through the trailer, they had better find and fix most issues before I ever get there.

As for $1200, that's crazy. Unless they are having the unit professionally detailed inside and out. I'm talking blowing all the sawdust out of the A/C and heater ducts, the cabinets, cleaning everything inside and out and waxing the darn thing. Even then it is high in my opinion.

Rant over.
bwalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 03:36 PM   #8

I don't mind a dealer prep if the prep is actually done! When we picked our trailer up last year I went back and got part of the prep fee refunded. Every cabinet had wood shavings from the manufacturing process where holes were drilled. Basically with mine they rinsed it off added the batter and filled the gas tanks. The difference between a dealer and a great dealer is in the details!!!
FashaPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 04:06 PM   #9

Only our first TT was bought new and I didn't care what they called items on the sales contract, I focused on the out the door price.

I didn't get 35% off MSRP out the door, but is did get close to 30% off the Jayco build sheet MSRP, which matched the online MSRP.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 06:52 AM   #10

Dealer prep fee??? I have never paid one.. that should come out of the purchase price.. I mean that is why they have their markup right?
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 07:48 PM   #11

It's different dealers. Dealer I work @ doesn't charge, doc fees, prep fees, but you do pay the destination fee. That cost gets charged to the dealers from Jayco. Jayco hires drivers to drive these units from Indiana.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk
Old 08-25-2016, 02:57 AM   #12

To me, it doesn't matter what the dealer puts on the "dealer prep" line. The only number that counts is the bottom line, out the door price.

How the dealer wants to divide up that "out the door price" is strictly up to him.

If a dealer wants to show $1200 on the "dealer prep" line that's fine, as long as the trailer price is $1200 less.
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 07:48 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlee View Post
To me, it doesn't matter what the dealer puts on the "dealer prep" line. The only number that counts is the bottom line, out the door price.

How the dealer wants to divide up that "out the door price" is strictly up to him.

If a dealer wants to show $1200 on the "dealer prep" line that's fine, as long as the trailer price is $1200 less.
ABSOLUTELY!

Whether I am dealing RV's or other vehicles what they put on the bill of sale for selling price, trade value, destination, dealer prep, doc fees or any of the other "creative accounting charges" is of NO consequence. The "bottom line" is either acceptable or it is not.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 02:51 PM   #14

Dealer Prep

We just traded our motor home for a White Hawk 2015 dsrl. We paid a $250 dealer prep fee. I did not like paying the prep fee but didn't consider it that big of a deal. Other than the final walk through with a guy who took forever to explain and thought he was talking to first graders, the dealer did nothing for it. Well, he filled the propane. It was supposed to be detailed. The proof nothing was done was in all the stuff left under the dining seats from the previous owner that we found when we got home -we sold it along with the bedding, duvet covers etc in a garage sale. So I got the $250 back! When we did the trade, they asked us to bring our trade in with all tanks empty which we did plus I turned our trade in with a clean interior. However in the camper, the grey water was half full when we got it home. Our camper looked clean and still smelled new. However, I ended up spending an afternoon cleaning the whole unit when we got it home just because I am picky and it was used. It was not as clean as it looked -so much for detailing. I agree, it is the out the door price which we extremely happy with. We left with a camper we love, unloaded the motor home which always had something that needed fixing and a nice big check from trade. It was the first time we have ever traded anything and left with money!
ReelCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 02:57 PM   #15

If you can get 30+% off MSRP, Out the door price, that's all that matters. They ganked me for dealer prep too, but they lost on the other end... makes no difference to me how they line item it.

Just don't give them that lost profit back when you talk to the finance guy and he wants to spray your couch with scotch guard for 900 bucks
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote