Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-25-2021, 10:34 AM   #1

Dehumidifier Running Full Time In Trailer

I have a 2011 Jay flight 29QBH. I am going to be storing it at my property 1.5 hours away. It will be under a metal carport, but I also wanted to keep a dehumidifier in it, running most of the time. Maybe on a timer to turn off during the day and on at night when it's colder. I would likely go check on it once a month or more if I determine it's filling up with water more frequently. I have considered using half a dozen 1 pound Desiccant Bags. Would it be good to have all the cabinets and drawers open? And since it's going to be under a cover, should I still put a cover on the AC unit?
Any thought about it being an issue or other recommendations.
Thanks
Dean
tazzman1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 11:00 AM   #2

I would put some Damp Rid's in it and be done. Dehumidifier's draw power so it costs money. Then you either have to empty the canister or direct drain it out of the RV. Damp Rid has never let me down. I keep them in the campers all the time when not in use. It's very very humid here on the East coast (85-95%) and they've worked great. I have 6 in my unfinished basement and keeps it odor-free and dry.

I see no reason to cover the AC unit if it's stored under a shelter. I haven't used a cover on any of my AC units for all the years I've been camping. No real reason to open all the cabinets and drawers. I do however, open my fridge.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 11:11 AM   #3

Do you use the large bucket of Damp Rid, or several small ones? I have used a couple of the hanging bags of Damp Rid, they worked very well, when I could not find the small buckets.
Old 08-25-2021, 11:12 AM   #4

TWP723 - Thank you for the reply. So, how long would a 4 lb container of Damp Rid last? We are not humid in the North West, but in the winter we get cold and damp weather that creates moisture. Since I have never used this product, i am just curious how long it can last. Thanks for your feedback.
Dean
tazzman1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 11:19 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16WhiteColly View Post
Do you use the large bucket of Damp Rid, or several small ones? I have used a couple of the hanging bags of Damp Rid, they worked very well, when I could not find the small buckets.
In my TT, I use 3. One in the living area, one on the kitchen counter and one in the bedroom on the nightstand. In the 5'er, I have 4. The additional one is in the bathroom.

Yes...they fill up but never overflow. And the containers are reusable. You can buy..I think it's a 5lb. bag of absorbent? But yeah, they work fine. My 2013 still smells fresh after sitting all winter. I swear by them. Oh...and no mold anywhere ever.
Old 08-25-2021, 11:26 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazzman1961 View Post
TWP723 - Thank you for the reply. So, how long would a 4 lb container of Damp Rid last? We are not humid in the North West, but in the winter we get cold and damp weather that creates moisture. Since I have never used this product, i am just curious how long it can last. Thanks for your feedback.
Dean
I'd say replace them every other month. I replace ours monthly due to the high humidity here. We use 3 smaller buckets and they're usually filled to the very top with moisture. I would imagine a 4 pounder will last ya a good while.

By the way...it's 95 degrees here right now with 90% humidity. Like walking through soup.
Old 08-25-2021, 11:30 AM   #7

I have one at our summer home that we leave on year around in the basement. I avoided the problem of shutoff due to filled tank by running a hose to my sump pump. You could do the same by putting it on the table and running a line to the shower drain. The timer idea may work as I had one fail in the running position in Florida and the waste heat ran the temp up indoors well over 90.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 11:40 AM   #8

Personally I would do nothing. I keep my roof vent open year round, with a roof vent cover.

My concern would be forgetting to empty the dehumidifier or the little buckets for the bags, and water would overflow or worse yet, get tipped over and make a huge mess.

If you do choose to run some type of dehumidification, I would make sure you place the dehumidifying device in something that could collect any over fill. Aka, place the bags in a dishpan, better yet, in the sink(s) or shower.

If I was going to running an electric dehumidifier, I would place it in the shower, let it drain into the grey tank. Have the grey tank valve open, use a waste tank cap with a hose connection, to allow the water to slowly drain out.

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-T102...66853521&psc=1

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 02:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
Personally I would do nothing. I keep my roof vent open year round, with a roof vent cover.
This is what I do and it's hot and humid here most of the summer and I've never had a problem. Yesterday it was 108* in the camper. As stated above, I do leave the fridge/freezer wedged open to prevent any mold.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 03:07 PM   #10
Site Team

I used Damp Rid but it gets expensive long term. In addition, I keep a humidifier retuning all the time, it cycles on and off but I check it often as it's in my yard.

Damp rid is caustic if spilt on carpets and a dehumidifier must be dumped or routed outside. I would not feel comfortable leaving either for months.

If you leave vents open, neither will be effective.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 03:40 PM   #11

We get almost the identical amount of rain you do from October to May. I use Damp Rid in both the TT and our sailboat, which is in the water all year long. Several containers in each. I find the crystals dissolve before it is full of water. I dump it, replenish with crystals and it’s good for a couple more months or more. I keep the TT covered but the covered bathroom vent left open for circulation unless it’s going to rain for days.

I have used a couple of the Damp Rid bags, but found they are more trouble and need a place to hang. It doesn’t get much easier than the small DR buckets.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 05:21 PM   #12

My North Point is on son-in-law's farm in south Alabama. I have this dehumidifier running 24/7.
https://www.ivationproducts.com/prod...ous-drain-hose

I also put the air on cool auto set on 80 degrees.

The Greyhawk is in the driveway. I have a small dehumidifier in it but doesn't seem to be doing much. I also have the air set the same.
2naEagle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter storage