Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-12-2019, 04:29 PM   #1

Question Delamination issue

Hello all. I'm new to the RV world, and am in a quandary. We bought a 2007 Jayco Jayfeather 25 Z last spring, that was in great condition at the time. We towed it from FL to CA last summer, and spent 2 months in CA living in it before towing it back to FL without issue. After storing it in our back yard for 3 months, I just found that the front of it is totally delaminated from the roof seam down 2-3 feet all the way across. It appears the roof seam has been leaking, and the plywood is saturated, as well as the inner hardboard liner inside the forward cabinet. I'm thinking to save it, I would need to completely peel off the forward skin and replace it, at least as far down as the delamination goes. The outer FRP is still in good shape. I'm wondering if I can remove the forward skin, and build a new one using either the original outer skin or new Filon, and laminate new plywood onto it? Has anyone attempted this degree of repair? Is it worth the effort, or should we look to cut our losses? Also, is it safe to tow in this condition? I see aluminum structure across the front at the seam, how much structural strength does the front wall itself provide?

I've owned sailboats for 30 years, and so am well versed in fiberglass repairs, but here I'm literally a fish out of water. Appreciate any advice I can get.

Regards
SailorKevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 05:02 PM   #2

Having rebuilt the entire cabover portion of a class C motorhome, I can tell you it's a lot of work but doable if you also have carpentry experience and an INDOOR place to work. First and foremost is during teardown do it carefully as you will need the parts to us a patterns for new pieces. You will probably have to purchase new filon and thin(less than 1/8") plywood to laminate it to. You can purchase filon from RV Surplus places in and around Elkhart In. It's not cheap and shipping can be expensive. Etrna-Bond tape is your friend to seal all the new corner seams prior to putting on the trim. As far as structure in the front end, don't be surprised at the lack of. On my class C, where the fiberglass curved, the backing was only pink insulation board kerfed to allow it to bend.
I looked at the value of your trailer and it seems to me to be worth fixing. If I can be of any help, PM me and I will do my best to help.
GOOD LUCK
2010 Toyota Tundra toad
Oma/opa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
delamination