Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-24-2016, 10:25 PM   #21

So I think the lesson learned on this thread is that... if you have it, you like it and can endorse owning it. If you don't... well depending on where you live, no problems there as well.

My take away is that it's worth owning, it is a nice to have, not a must have. If you are a 2 season camper, don't sweat it. If you are a 3 season camper, get it. If you are a 4 season camper, get another trailer. good luck because the 'thermal package' will not compensate for ridiculous poor planning, but it will help you use less propane / electricity whatever the R Value increase is... it's there. For most RV'ers, if the thermal issues were that important, they would be posing from Quartizite Arizona in 2 months, vs/ Montana. Get the thermal pkg if you can, but it's not a deal breaker unless you 3 season camp +
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 03:03 AM   #22

I'm torn on the Thermal Pkg thing.

I know the enclosed underbelly with insulation and some heat from the furnace is a very good thing, along with keeping road grime, water, and/or slush from under the trailer.

However, being able to easily inspect the tanks, tank supports, water lines, and propane lines is also a good thing.
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 06:05 AM   #23
Site Team

I have the GLACIER package on our Eagle 284BHS. We have been in 24* and 106* temperatures. No Problems either way.

Wait I need to clarify that these temperatures were taken AFTER the front cap had to be redone due to oxidation of the DARK brown gel coat, it was sanded off and painted the same LIGHT color as the side, a 100+ degree drop in temperature of the cap in the hot sun.

There is fiberglass insulation in the under belly and fiberglass insulation in the Magnum Truss roof. Unfortunately the roof of the slide transfers the heat into the TT when the sun is beating down on it. I will be adding a slide-out cover over the winter. The sides are no different than any of the other TT's construction.

So, to satisfy my curiosity, I put a remote temperature sensor in my TT and I monitored the temperature over a 24 hour period. The slide-out was extended, windows were closed, ceiling vents were closed and I did not go into the TT at all. My weather station has the outside temperature monitored. The results are listed below.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
TT Indoor vs Outdoor Temperature Comparison.jpg  
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 06:08 AM   #24

As mentioned in a recent thread, I have it and my BIG 38FDDS stayed very cool this summer in a few days of 90 degree heat (not the norm) with a single 15K AC unit (optional as well).
In the spring I was able to see the rig retained heat nicely as well.
I have no experience w/o the package so I can't comment.
Would I order it again? Absolutely.
Would it be a deal breaker If i liked a trailer on the lot that didn't have it? I don't think it would. It depends on the climate where you plan to camp. I'm in New England so we rarely get heat over the 90 in the summer, but it does happen on occasion. The norm on Cape Cod is high 70's, up to 90.
If I were camping down south, I would definitely want the thermal package
Old 08-25-2016, 08:02 AM   #25

Last trailer had the thermal package this one does not .... I really miss the package and would not buy another RV without it..
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 08:41 PM   #26

yeah im putting a underbelly on mine next few week to be able to stay in it during winter months.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk
Old 09-19-2016, 04:28 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlucas77 View Post
yeah im putting a underbelly on mine next few week to be able to stay in it during winter months.

I'm considering doing this as well. What is your plan? Insulation and cloroplast? How will you be attaching the panels? I'd like to be able to have them fairly easy to remove if necessary just haven't quite figured it out yet.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 05:36 AM   #28

well im fortunate to have a shop to have it done @. but we just did one a few weeks ago. pretty simple. buy the corrugated plastic sheets and some insulation @ home depot and start from the rear going forward.. now as your putting up your boards. or before hand. draw out a map of your under belly. map out what you need to be able to get to and measure out your access points.. you will thank me later when your looking @ you long black underbelly wondering where the tanks are and etc. whay we did was run the boards to the ouside frame and stuffed insulation in there.. for rhe lose ends (voids) use spray foam in the can. works great... as your going forward you want to over lap the last panel so wind dont catch it and rip it off... get black gorilla tape to tape up your seams from panel to panel. you will need unbolt you gas line @ some spots so you can get the board flush and then redrill it back..

Old 09-19-2016, 07:03 PM   #29

OK so I read the thread because I am trying to decide if I need the thermal package in Mississippi. My dealer says it is not necessary. Does it keep animals out? Or are they most likely to nest in the underbelly? Thanks.
DragonflyChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 07:15 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlucas77 View Post
well im fortunate to have a shop to have it done @. but we just did one a few weeks ago. pretty simple. buy the corrugated plastic sheets and some insulation @ home depot and start from the rear going forward.. now as your putting up your boards. or before hand. draw out a map of your under belly. map out what you need to be able to get to and measure out your access points.. you will thank me later when your looking @ you long black underbelly wondering where the tanks are and etc. whay we did was run the boards to the ouside frame and stuffed insulation in there.. for rhe lose ends (voids) use spray foam in the can. works great... as your going forward you want to over lap the last panel so wind dont catch it and rip it off... get black gorilla tape to tape up your seams from panel to panel. you will need unbolt you gas line @ some spots so you can get the board flush and then redrill it back..

Thanks Mike! I think I will tackle this over the winter. I have a place to work that is clean dry and HEATED!

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 07:31 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonflyChick View Post
OK so I read the thread because I am trying to decide if I need the thermal package in Mississippi. My dealer says it is not necessary. Does it keep animals out? Or are they most likely to nest in the underbelly? Thanks.
the whole purpose of a underbelly is to not have your tanks and lines freeze. so if your climate is in the 40s or 50 then i would just trickle your water on those cold night's. im up in Tennessee where its gonna be in the teens. im actually gonna tap into my furance and off the side of it run a pipe down to heat my underbelly also. im from florida myself so i will say from experience that for a few weeks in jan/feb it will hit 30s @ night. but warms up pretty quickly... if your not gonna be camping in the winter then just winterizing will work great.

Old 09-19-2016, 07:32 PM   #32

Always take what the dealer says with a major grain of salt of course, but mine was more honest than most. He was adamant that the thermal package does not turn your camper into a 4 season trailer. There is still enough exposed to break quite a few things... thinking outside shower, outside kitchen in my case, water tank drain. If you live where it gets below zero, I don't see how it's possible to use the trailer 'wet' without busting something major. Envious of a lot of you that live where it doesn't get so cold and 4 season camping is an option.
Old 09-19-2016, 07:38 PM   #33

very true statement. but we live here and having a house built we live in ours fulltime till then. so i need to have everything running 100% during the winter months. yes your right about the shower. throw in some r-30 in there and it should hold warm from the inside temp... sound good... lol. thats why im going further and running heat in my underbelly... but only time will tell..

Old 09-19-2016, 07:42 PM   #34

My last trailer (sob) was enclosed underbelly/thermal package.
I spent 2 weeks in single digit weather without an issue.
Other than buying propane every other day.

It is a must for me, and works as advertised.
Vaquero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 08:20 PM   #35

Are you in Tennessee big mike? I think 4 seasons should certainly be workable there. I don't know of many 'Maryville's' but that one.

Edit-- sorry just read a few posts up and see that you are. Shoot... you should be golden down there.
Old 09-19-2016, 09:05 PM   #36

Thanks.
Old 09-19-2016, 09:09 PM   #37

I understand the underbelly is 4 season. And we would like to camp some in the winter but our winters can be mild or can be in the 20s. So as long as I can winterize and be ok. The dealer was mentioning that animals might be more likely to nest in the underbelly.
Thanks.