Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-24-2016, 12:57 PM   #1

Delimma with Thermal Package

When we were shopping for a new TT this summer on very hot days it seemed Jaycos with the thermal package were a bit cooler inside than the others so we were pretty well sold on that option. Now we can not find the model we want with the thermal package. We can however get one now with everything we want except the thermal package. For those of you who own a unit with this package is our perception reality, does the thermal package actually help the unit stay cooler on hot summer days? We are faced with ordering one that wont be here until late fall or early winter thus ending the 2016 camping season or buying one now without the thermal package.
CUthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 01:03 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUthere View Post
When we were shopping for a new TT this summer on very hot days it seemed Jaycos with the thermal package were a bit cooler inside than the others so we were pretty well sold on that option. Now we can not find the model we want with the thermal package. We can however get one now with everything we want except the thermal package. For those of you who own a unit with this package is our perception reality, does the thermal package actually help the unit stay cooler on hot summer days? We are faced with ordering one that wont be here until late fall or early winter thus ending the 2016 camping season or buying one now without the thermal package.
From someone that bought the summer-only version and wishes he had done otherwise:

IIRC the thermal package included much better windows (thermal pane?) that sealed better. When closed, some of the windows on my 19RD have daylight gaps and are only single thickness glass.

Plus the layer of insulation between the bottom of the TT and the pavement.

Downside: Servicing the tanks or waste piping requires cutting the bottom insulation.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 01:16 PM   #3

I have the Thermal Package on my Eagle. Went to Ocean City, Md. 2 weeks ago during the hottest week on record for that particular month. Here's the figures...

Actual temperature - 99 degrees+
Dew point - 81 degrees
Humidity - 100%
Heat Index 107-108 degrees
Inside my TT - 69-71 degrees.

Yes, it's worth it.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 01:18 PM   #4

It got so cold, my wife slept with a comforter. During the day, it was a welcome climate..let me tell ya.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 01:43 PM   #5

I can't speak to the higher quality windows, mine don't seem anymore special than anyone elses, but I was able to test the thermal package last week in 30 degree temps (it's snowing in our mountains already) and it got a tad chilly inside, but the furnace was totally optional. If I had been with 'the guys' instead of my family, we never would have turned it on. I like it.

Edit - According to Jayco in an older brochure

"Fiberglass insulation (R-7):
With optional thermal package, increases R-value to 22"

That's a big difference.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 01:47 PM   #6

I think the thermal package is worthwhile for the price... but I was more concerned with colder weather issues, such as freezing tanks and water lines. From what I understand, the thermal package has increased insulation and reflectix material in the roof and slideouts. That should help it maintain cooler temps in the summer as well.

The reality is that a 15K AC upgrade and covering your windows during the heat of the day will do more to help keep the interior cool during the summer.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 02:48 PM   #7

I notice when I go out to my camper while its parked at home it stays cool until late afternoon when the heat finally penetrates the interior. I would say it was worth it to get the thermal package.
2016 CTS 4 2.0T
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 04:14 PM   #8

I honestly wouldn't buy a trailer without the thermal package included.

I look at it this way: how long will you own the trailer? If your answer is more than a year or two, then order it or find what you really want, because upgrades aftermarket are going to generally be much more expensive.
ecksdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 04:52 PM   #9

I'm from Tx and I don't have thermal package and my TT stays nice and cold on HOT days & on winter days nice and worm.

I believe on ur location.
Touch N Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 06:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansai View Post
I can't speak to the higher quality windows, mine don't seem anymore special than anyone elses, but I was able to test the thermal package last week in 30 degree temps (it's snowing in our mountains already) and it got a tad chilly inside, but the furnace was totally optional. If I had been with 'the guys' instead of my family, we never would have turned it on. I like it.

Edit - According to Jayco in an older brochure

"Fiberglass insulation (R-7):
With optional thermal package, increases R-value to 22"

That's a big difference.
I agree that I'd get the thermal package. But that claim that it increases the R-Value to 22 is just bunk. There is only so much room inside trailer walls for insulation, and the thermal package puts a thin layer of reflectix-type liner in there along with the insulation. Underneath, you will get some additional insulation along with the coroplast. It helps, plus the coroplast helps keep your underside, tanks and wires away from road rocks and grime.

But R-22? Bah!
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 06:26 PM   #11
Site Team

I do not have the thermal package or enclosed underbelly, have camped low as 22* and high as 100 and been comfortable. But my trailer does not have large windows and only a small slide. I would however prefer it on my next trailer if possible. As for the windows, you do not get better windows with a $400 thermal package. They are the same. Better windows would be another option, and only available on some TT models.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 06:32 PM   #12

I was in the same dilemma, ended up buying without the thermal package. For about $300 in materials, mainly corrugated plastic sheeting and foam insulation you can enclose your underbelly and achieve the same thing. I am planning to use clip nuts to put the coroplast on in sections so that it is easily removable for service and winter storage.

It is a decent amount of work, but definitely a good option, make sure to buy the coroplast in 8'x4' sheets!
motorbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 06:40 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorbreath View Post
I was in the same dilemma, ended up buying without the thermal package. For about $300 in materials, mainly corrugated plastic sheeting and foam insulation you can enclose your underbelly and achieve the same thing. I am planning to use clip nuts to put the coroplast on in sections so that it is easily removable for service and winter storage.

It is a decent amount of work, but definitely a good option, make sure to buy the coroplast in 8'x4' sheets!
According to Jayco`s option list the thermal package contains in addition to the enclosed underbelly ''Foil insulation in roof and slideout floors''. I wonder how much real difference that makes...
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 07:02 PM   #14

Yeah, I had quite the laugh when the salesman told me about this. The foil insulation is meant to reduce heat transfer through radiation, so if it was on the *outside* of the trailer it would be great...except that you would blind everyone around you. When you take this insulation, which is essentially bubble wrap made out of an aluminized plastic, and cover it then it becomes useless. It has the R-value of bubble wrap, so heat transfer through conduction (most important) is essentially unaffected.

Where I am in Canada is it relatively popular to spray foam the undercarriage, which works fantastically, but good luck fixing anything under there afterwards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
According to Jayco`s option list the thermal package contains in addition to the enclosed underbelly ''Foil insulation in roof and slideout floors''. I wonder how much real difference that makes...
motorbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 07:21 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
The way the foil insulation is installed, it provides no more than R1 or R2 insulation value, depending on the thickness of the bubble layer. For foil "insulation" (technically, it is a reflective radiant barrier, not insulation) to be effective, it has to have a significant air gap on both sides, otherwise, heat will be conducted through the foil.
Old 08-24-2016, 07:29 PM   #16

The thermal package really pertains to the insulated underbelly cover. more for cold weather. And there is a heat shield In the roof above the insulation.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk
Old 08-24-2016, 07:35 PM   #17

CU,

Welcome and congrats on shopping for a new rig!!!

Not sure what model you are looking at, but I would decide for or against the thermal package based on where you plan on camping the majority of time. So far with our 32 BHDS (15K a/c, no thermal package) here in Michigan, we haven't had any issues with the a/c keeping the trailer nice and cool this summer. My wife get hot easy, so she likes it as cold as possible and the a/c has kept up.

We do tend to keep the shades closed during the day if in the sun, I we have shade form tress we will open the shades.

Good luck deciding!!!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 07:49 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by need-a-vacation View Post
CU,

Welcome and congrats on shopping for a new rig!!!

Not sure what model you are looking at, but I would decide for or against the thermal package based on where you plan on camping the majority of time. So far with our 32 BHDS (15K a/c, no thermal package) here in Michigan, we haven't had any issues with the a/c keeping the trailer nice and cool this summer. My wife get hot easy, so she likes it as cold as possible and the a/c has kept up.

We do tend to keep the shades closed during the day if in the sun, I we have shade form tress we will open the shades.

Good luck deciding!!!
Yeah but what do you do about winter? Some don't go south.. Lol

Old 08-24-2016, 09:18 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlucas77 View Post
Yeah but what do you do about winter? Some don't go south.. Lol

Snowmobile if the weather permits!!!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 09:24 PM   #20

I don't have it. Like Crabman, we have camped from 24* to 105*, no humidity though, and have never struggled to cool or heat our TT. If the package would have already been on the trailer I woukd have been happy to have it, but I don't regret it after the fact.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote