Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-13-2015, 07:35 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack in Alaska View Post
NVGUN40..........

You have hit all of my points right on. The two most important is that he is towing it too fast and his TV is way too small with the wrong type rear axle and lack of good mirrors. Who sold him that package. He needs a good ass whipping.
THe owner will find out about too fast when the tread comes off one of those overloaded China tires and tears **** out of his rig.
What should target speed be? As stated, 60-65 mph was target. If I caught myself creeping up, I backed out. As with any driving condition, I will be more accurate with the target of 60 mph. It will come with a few more miles
2011 Shelby GT500 (only thing it pulls is G's)
2003 Jeep Liberty Limited (DD's)
1995 F-150 short wheel base (Sold)
finally03gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 10:19 AM   #22

Never mind the speed. I have re-read the specs for your trailer. As stated earlier, your tow vehicle is not rated to pull your 26BH. It is too heavy. If you want to haul this rig down the road, I would suggest that you go back to the ******* sales person that said your Explorer could tow it put the statement in writing and sign it. When the inevitable happens, you can at least have a co-defendent in court when you are sued.

The other posters in this and your other thread have given you good advice. I hope you heed it.

In addition, show your DW these opinions!

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 02:22 PM   #23

Missing some lingo here.. "DW"? If that means darling wife?? I have relayed these opinions to her. Her response was that some comments seemed arrogant and aggressive and I should simply leave the forum. I should mention here, that she spent about 6 years of her adolescence actually living in a park trailer, moving along the West coast and south central US, so this is not her first encounter with large and or heavy TT's.

I think there is a ton of great info on this forum, and I have enjoyed opinions, views and tech info from forums for each interest I have. I will at this time, restrain from retorting to snide comments.

I will say that according to "as built" and GVWR labels and manuals by both manufacturers, I am under Combined GVWR by about 600#, which understandably is close. I also understand that wheel base can be a factor. If this becomes and issue for me, we will simply caravan with my daughters jeep liberty. Even if I were to buy a truck to pull with, we'd still caravan as we have 7 people in our family, so that is a moot point. If need be, I'll pull the trailer dry and carry gear and a couple people in the Liberty. And I have full intention of keeping it under 65mph.
I've towed an empty 30' goose with a Dodge 2500, and a 12' pop up behind a 2003 Tahoe, that were both unsafe conditions, due to loading and mechanical issues, having nothing to do with GVWR. I've towed about 5000# of tree on a 2000# trailer behind a 2003 Tahoe, and about 4000# of trash on that same trailer behind an 1995 F150 (3800# curb weight) with no trailer brakes, and been completely safe, although I was likely way over GVWR on both occasions. What I'm getting at , is I truly do understand limitation of GVWR and that many factors go into how a truck and trailer pull, and the safety of getting it down the road.
This will be my last comment on weight until I can get on scales, and/or get a few miles behind me.
All that said......
I would love to move past the discussion of weights, and gleam what information I can regarding numerous other aspects of this new adventure for our family. For example, the guidance on leveling blocks, the suggestion that the popping was WD bars not the sway controller, and lists of items to check and have handy. This has all been great info, and I would love to continue to be a part of this community. If the discussion of my TV and weight is going to continue to be a sticking point, and lead to suggestions of "whooping ***", I will reluctantly reside from the discussion boards.
Old 09-13-2015, 04:10 PM   #24

Nothing more to add from here.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 06:14 PM   #25
Site Team

Let's move on to new areas. This subject has come to a stalemate.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 06:31 PM   #26

I like that idea norty. First trip planed about 25-30 miles from home, still in an urban area, This Saturday. Happy birthday to my wife!!! DW?? I'm guessing that's what that means..haha.

Notice there was NO grease on the WD bars when I removed them, but there sure are Zerks. Should I pump a little in?
Have lynx levelers and CIPA mirror extensions on order , should be here Friday. Is one set of 10 blocks usually sufficient?
Old 09-13-2015, 07:45 PM   #27

I personally have 3 packs of levelers but rarely need all of them. If you are staying at a campground I suspect the sights will be fairly level and 1 set should be enough. Might want to buy another pack in the future.
Knauby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 11:13 PM   #28

"DW" is Dear Wife, "DH"= Dear Husband, "DD" Dear Daughter... ect.

Some would disagree, and grease their hitch ball and WDH bars. I do not grease my ball or bars.

Yes they creak and groan when I'm going slow or turning or backing up, but it's ok with me. I know what it is.

I have to handle the hitch and the spring bars. I don't want to have grease all over me every time I go camping or rub against the hitch ball.

Although my setup has no grease zerks. You may have to grease yours (a little).

To each their own I guess. I just can't stand the mess.

I've been ok with one set of leveling blocks this season. I carry some 6"x6" blocks for the stabilizers if the site is far off level.
Reese SC Weight Distrubition with sway control (12,000lb)
Jhowemca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 12:43 PM   #29

I carry one set of 10 Lynx Levelers and have not been short yet. I also have a few pieces of lumber in varying sizes just in case. I don't typically put blocks under the stab jacks (I have the electric stabs, and the foot plate is pretty wide, so I usually don't bother unless it's going into soft grass or they're extended REALLY far). I have a set of "Stack Jacks" to put under the middle of the trailer just in front of the front axle, and each of those takes 3 Lynx blocks. I also use BAL X-Chocks between the wheels. With all of this, the trailer is pretty darn stable. The only thing I'd like to have are scissor jacks instead of the stack jacks (MUCH easier to deploy), but everything else works great.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 06:49 PM   #30

The WDH can stand for some grease in the socket where the bars plug in. But not excessive amounts. I do grease my ball with a quick spritz of white lithium grease each time I hitch on Friday. But... Somehow the 2 year old always manages to get greasy.

2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew 4x4 Duramax
ctbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 07:09 PM   #31

I have two bags of Camco leveling blocks, and they come in handy. Like said, don't put more than a turn or two on the stabilizers - level with blocks and tongue jack. I use a small level on the floor in the middle to level it.

I put a little grease on my ball and the head end of the WD bars - not the sway control part (per Reese direction). My 2 year old is always getting grease on him (and Dad too)...

Not to open the TV discussion back up, but we towed ours with a 2006 Tahoe last year and it did ok. I bought a 2010 Silverado crew cab this spring and the longer wheelbase tows so much better! And the 6 speed transmission is way better than the 4 speed in the Tahoe.

2019 Open Range 374BHS
2107 Chevrolet 3500HD dually
Gone campin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 08:46 PM   #32

The lynx blocks did great, and the tip on hand tight plus 1-2 turns was awesome. I appreciate that. The grease on the WD bars helped the noise. I also took the tip and leveled it out really well using the floor infront of the fridge, then put stick on levels on LF and RR. Thanks again.

I do not at all doubt that longer wheel base feels better. On a side note, the short wheel base was handy for getting backed into a tight spot..haha. I was verrryyy impressed with the little Explorer though. My first trip was about 15 miles of highway and 4-5 miles or narrow lane, curvy hills, and it was pretty darn smooth. The 3.5 ecoboost with six speed auto has more than enough guts. I really feel that the Explorer (power wise) pulled this TT better than our 2003 Tahoe pulled a utility trailer with camping gear (about 3000# total). According to CAT scales I'm within 20# of unloaded weight on front axle and still under gross on rear axle by 250# or so. DW and I have concluded most trips will be a caravan with DD's and luggage in the Jeep Liberty, simply because on the scales I'm right at Combined GVWR without the DD's. I'm a generally cautious person. But I have to be honest, as good as it pulled, I'm darn tempted to just load up and go. I know if I did I'd be over on Combined GVWR, but it would be over on the trailer, not on the TV axles. But, I suppose to be cautious, we'll caravan. We did talk about a bigger TV, I have a 95 F-150 I could sell off. But if I have to give up my little pick up, I want to be sure I have enough. The 26BH has a max gross of 7000# combined with 1000-1500# of passenger/cargo in the TV, I'd need a 3/4 ton chassis to know I was good to trailer max, and to carry the whole family (6-7 people) So, that puts me in a 3/4 Suburban (hard to find) or an Excursion. Or a heavy van I guess. We'll just see how bad caravaning turns out.