Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-04-2022, 06:16 PM   #1

Dewinterized, now foamy hot water

Bought a 2022 Jayco 195RB in August. Never had a chance to camp, or even test the water system last year. The dealer winterized it in September.
Dealer last week did the cooktop/furnace recall fix. I asked the tech to show me how to dewinterize myself. He told me how to change the water heater bypass valves inside, then opened the external water heater door to show me where to reinstall the drain plug, which he said they routinely leave out for the winter. He was surprised to find the drain plug already in place in the heater.
Today I put water in the tank, then ran the pump until pink changed to clear water in the sink, tub and toilet. Then I removed the screwed-on access panel to get to the water heater bypass valves -- and discovered they already were in the summer position, directing flow to the water heater.
Everything seemed OK -- except the hot water in the kitchen sink was very foamy, while the cold ran clear.
I removed the water heater drain plug and slightly pink water came out. Replaced that, opened the hot low-point drain valve, and ran the pump until water (clear, no pink even at the start) came out there.
Closed the low-point drain valve. The pump ran less than a minute more and stopped.
Still, cold runs clear, but hot at the sink is completely opaque and foamy. I ran it for maybe two minutes, but no change.
-- Could a plastic line leak somewhere cause this? I see no puddles or drips anywhere.
-- Or could the water heater be damaged?
My fear is that they didn't winterize the water heater properly and it's cracked or something.
Haven't yet hooked up to city water. And haven't yet powered up the heater.
Vermillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 07:53 PM   #2

Many people experience foamy water upon dewinterization. Some residual antifreeze remains in the lines including the bypass line and it acts sort of like a soap and foams. Continue to flush the system and it will eventually clear up. Did the dealer put antifreeze in the fresh water tank?

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 08:05 PM   #3

Connect to city water and just run it till it's clear and smells/tastes ok.

Note, many people who left water in hot water heater in the tank during some period of use, maybe weeks or more, have had a terrible smell from bacteria or whatever growing. Since then I always drain when I am not going to go out in again in 2 weeks or less as a preventive.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 11:33 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermillion View Post
pink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post
Many people experience foamy water upon dewinterization. Some residual antifreeze remains in the lines including the bypass line and it acts sort of like a soap and foams. Continue to flush the system and it will eventually clear up.

This.
My bathroom sink faucet stays foamy longer than the others. No idea why. Kitchen sink and shower de-foams fast.

Just keep flushing.
If I want to speed things up, I unscrew the water filter housing and dump the pink stuff. If I'm lazy, I just flush.
Old 05-05-2022, 09:01 AM   #5

This is one of the reasons why I winterize with compressed air. Bypass the heater, blow the lines out, open the low points, add some pink stuff in all the traps, and pour some toilet seal conditioner in the toilet.
It takes me fewer than 10 minutes to go either direction.
2x Honda 2K
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 09:16 AM   #6

I also use compressed air for the same reason. I really don't want to have to flush out the pink stuff and waste a lot of water. At the start of the season I just have to sanitize.
Old 05-05-2022, 10:57 PM   #7

Foamy hot water because of anti-freeze in WH.
Instead of running lots of water through the lines, pull WH drain plug, flush from pop-off valve or bottom.
Then, refill WH and flush from farthest valve (shower in mine). The rest of the HW lines won't take as much water. Since you don't drink water from the WH, foam shouldn't bother you.
garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dewinterizing, heater, water, winterizing