Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-24-2013, 03:46 PM   #1

Did I Use Wrong Roof Sealant? If So, What Now?

I was in an RV Repair Center a few days ago and I asked what product would be good for sealing my trailer’s rubber roof. The owner (with 35 yrs experience as and RV repairman) retrieved a can of Geocel ProFlexRV Instant Roof Repair and said that this was the thing to use. Today I re-sealed all seams on my 08 Jayco 25 RKS roof with this product. After (like a dummy) I was finished, I read the can and I looked up the properties of this sealant on the web. I was upset to find that the manufacturer, Geocel, specifically says not to use this on EPDM, and that this product is designed for metal roofs.

5 hours after the sealant was applied I looked at the stuff, and it appeared to be just great...it set up, no wrinkles, feels pliable and watertight to the touch etc.......looked really good.

I am NOT interested in hearing about what sealant I should have used. I am very interested in hearing from folks that are knowledgeable on what the repercussions of having used this sealant might be. Where do I go from here?

Thanks much.
Attached Thumbnails
Pro Flex Roof Repair.jpg  
2004 F350 6.0L TD LOADED!
tperk100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 03:58 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tperk100 View Post
I am NOT interested in hearing about what sealant I should have used. I am very interested in hearing from folks that are knowledgeable on what the repercussions of having used this sealant might be. Where do I go from here?

Thanks much.
The product is compatible with EPDM membrane roofing. Some here may comment as to brand preference, but brand preference is... well, brand preference. Your RV guy seems to recommend it. Were I you I would not worry. It is recommended for your application.

A patch material would be needed for larger holes or damage.

Some additional info is here.
http://store.diamondrv.com/diamond/i...iew&fileid=960

vic
Old 08-24-2013, 04:07 PM   #3

Vic,

Thanks much. The can and the product specs say not to use it on EPDM. This technical data sheet is the only thing that does. However, I feel much better now.
Old 08-24-2013, 07:33 PM   #4

Well...

It does appear that there is conflicting information. The first PDF that I posted is an older version of the same product.

Here's the newer one.

http://www.geocelusa.com/component/j...tech-data.html

The bad news is that the newer information does caution against using the product on EPDM.

Some questions.

Where you applied the Geocel poduct was it mostly over an existing seam sealant?

Did you apply the Geocel product in a fairly thin layer?

The good news is that you said the product doesn't show signs of swelling or wrinkles which was mentioned in the first PDF as a possible reaction.

One of the problems with some sealants when used with EPDM is that the solvents don't flash off quickly and can affect the membrane material. They did mention the Geocel can affect raw edges of EDPM membrane. If the solvents flash off quickly (as with thin coatings) the detrimental effect is less or non-existent. That is why it is recommended to use primer solvents sparingly. a thin coat flashes off quickly, provide less contact time and less chance of any damage.

So, in my opinion, you are still OK. I'd be more concerned with the possibility of damage should you try to remove the sealant.

I would do regular inspections, but trying to remove the already cured sealant is not something I would recommend.

Worse case scenario would be to need to apply Eternabond Tape over the Geocel should you begin to see any degradation.

Sorry for the good news/bad news. It appears that the first 07/2009 PDF was superseded by the 07/2010 version posted above. Ask your RV guy about it. His experience may help to put you at ease. vic
Old 08-24-2013, 07:40 PM   #5

Re: Did I Use Wrong Roof Sealant? If So, What Now?

I would contact GEOCEL and ask them.
Old 08-24-2013, 07:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
This would be my recommendation also. They put the warning on the can for a reason. They are probably the only ones that can give you an authoritative answer on why it is not recommended for this use and what the possible detrimental results might be.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 07:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Very good advice.

Maybe ask them to get DiamondRV to remove the outdated product technical information from their website too.

vic
Old 08-24-2013, 11:48 PM   #8

Fortunately, the great majority of the sealant was applied over other (Dicor type) sealant. Some was "feathered" out onto the rubber roof, but it was a very thin layer. Again it did not appear to have wrinkled or bubbled the membrane.

I will ask both the RV Repairman and the manufacturer what they think about this. Will post their responses.

Thanks to all for your thoughts.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:04 AM   #9

Being that I dug up the old Technical Information I felt somewhat responsibile for the misinformation about the GeoCel product and EPDM. As there has been no replies posted here I contacted GeoCel.

They were very quick with a response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic
A friend was sold Geocel ProFlexRV Instant Roof Repair to seal his Jayco EPDM roof. An older product sheet showed it was good for EPDM repair. http://store.diamondrv.com/diamond/i...iew&fileid=960
After the product was applied a newer sheet was found.
http://www.geocelusa.com/component/j...tech-data.html
The Geocel product is mostly applied over other seam sealant with a thin area feathered out onto the EPDM membrane. Question. As the product was once suggested for EPDM repairs in 2007 will it be OK? Does it need to be removed? I recommended against removal because I think it will cause more potential damage. Any input would be appreciated. Thank you. vic
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoCel
Thank you for contacting Geocel.

The ProFlex RV Instant Roof Repair in not meant for use on EPDM. The product may cause the EPDM to swell. If this hasn't happened yet it may not. It depends on how long ago the product was applied. If it has been a couple of weeks you should be safe.
If this is the case I would not try to remove it. You need solvent to remove the product and like you said may cause more harm.
We took EPDM off the label a few years ago because of this issue.

Please let me know if you need anything else.

Have a great day!

Patty Grahl
Geocel Products Group
A Business Unit of The Sherwin-Williams Company
Customer/Technical Support Representative
I thank them for their quick reply and information. vic
Old 09-03-2013, 07:24 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for the update.
Now we have the current recommendations for this product and sounds like you should be fine.

Best regards,
Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 01:27 PM   #11

Vic, thanks much for your info and follow through. I appreciate it.

The repairman that sold the stuff to me said he has been using it for years and still does. He was not aware of the change in the technical data sheets. He did say he sees a little bit of EPDM swelling occasionally but that it always goes away after the solvents flash off. Anyway I will check the roof in a couple of weeks ( RV is at hunt club 2 hours away) and assess its condition then. In the meantime I have my fingers crossed!
Old 09-03-2013, 02:35 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tperk100 View Post
... and assess its condition then. In the meantime I have my fingers crossed!
If it looks good, given the input from Geocel and your mechanic, I would not worry. Maybe do routine inspections every few months or so for a time rather than the more typical twice a year.

GeoCel said they had contacted DiamondRV for them to replace their link with the newer product spec sheet.

Good luck. vic
Old 09-03-2013, 05:26 PM   #13

I used this product several years ago on a forest river that I owned. It was recommended by the jayco dealer across the street from the campground. It did what it was suppose to do, with no ill effects.
No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote