Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-08-2021, 09:24 PM   #1

Did Jayco undersize my main power wire??

I decided to install the power watchdog +EPO hardwired, and at first I decided to install it behind the breaker panel. When I pulled the panel out there was no black 3x10awg coming into the panel or anywhere behind it for me to tie into, only a few orange and yellow Romex sets. Pulling the panel that hides the hole in the wall for the power wire to lead outside, I found that the 10awg lead into this box and wire tied into the orange Romex. I didn't read the romex awg before I installed the watchdog, but I'm pretty sure it's NOT 10awg..... probably closer to 14.

Is this something I should be worried about pulling 20 or 25 amps through for long periods? I usually leave the water heater on electric and the AC on for the animals during the day. I've been keeping an eye on my power usage with the watchdog app when I'm home, and try to keep it around 15 amps. I do plan to replace that section of line eventually anyway as part of an inverter/charger install, but if jayco screwed up I would rather replace it now so I don't have to worry about my trailer burning down.

First thread post, attempting to post pics.
Attached Thumbnails
20210903_203746.jpg   20210908_195821.jpg   20210908_195852.jpg  
Pacman1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 10:33 PM   #2
Site Team

You're safe. Orange jacketed Romex is indeed 10 AWG wire.

White-14 AWG
Yellow-12 AWG
Orange-10 AWG
Black- 8 and 6 AWG

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 10:43 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post

White-14 AWG
Yellow-12 AWG
Orange-10 AWG
Black- 8 and 6 AWG

X2

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 11:03 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
X2
Thank you both for the quick replies! I guess I should have done more research on the wiring instead of just trying the search. It's a brand new trailer and I've been full timing for about 2 months, while slowly digging into the workings of everything. I'm honestly dreading what I'll find holding the tanks when I drop the underbelly. Nothing I find is giving me confidence in Jayco build quality or QC. One outside speaker on the awning doesn't work, and the thermal cutoff was tripped on the water heater when they delivered it. Random extra length of wire spliced into the bathroom fan, a wire in the definitely not outdoor rated electrical box on the front frame that used to be wire tied to something that was just cut and left bare. Random garbage from manufacturing left inside access panels. Things like that.
Old 09-08-2021, 11:20 PM   #5
Site Team

Glad to be of assistance. Most of what you describe is industry wide, maybe with the exception of some extremely high end buses. We deal with it, adapt, and overcome.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 07:12 AM   #6

Yah, I don't like how things are tossed together. But it is a industry wide thing. I bet that unused wire in the metal box is were they terminate. The 7 pin wire harness to the all of the lights. If i am right, the unused wire, is for reverse lights. Would be nice if it had a wire cap.

All campers required a lot of maintenance.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 08:29 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
Yah, I don't like how things are tossed together. But it is a industry wide thing. I bet that unused wire in the metal box is were they terminate. The 7 pin wire harness to the all of the lights. If i am right, the unused wire, is for reverse lights. Would be nice if it had a wire cap.

All campers required a lot of maintenance.
The wire isn't just ran into the box and never used, it had been connected to another wire and then cut instead of removing the wire nut and taping the ends up. I'll post a pic later today. Judging from other posts on this forum, these things should be sold at IKEA with a label "some assembly may be required"
Old 09-09-2021, 09:32 PM   #8

Wow..... I'm sorry I didn't trace that wire earlier... The black wire runs into the 7 pin like you said Jagiven. But before it was cut it tied indirectly to the battery and to a red and white wire that seems to follow the rest of the 7 pin wiring. I'll have to ask my dealer for wiring diagrams. In the mean time I think I'll remove that stub of wire just asking to short out on the frame and wrap the 7 pin harness wire with electrical tape.
Attached Thumbnails
20210909_200825.jpg   20210909_201134.jpg   20210909_201145.jpg  
Old 09-11-2021, 01:39 PM   #9

Well...I just learned something...I didn't know the color of the Romex identified the gage of the wire. Thanks for sharing that info!
RRRRRRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 01:51 PM   #10

Yes thank you JFlightRisk, Romex color coding was something I didn't know either. Also that stranded wire carries a much lower current than solid wire for the same diameter.
Old 09-11-2021, 02:01 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post

White-14 AWG
Yellow-12 AWG
Orange-10 AWG
Black- 8 and 6 AWG
Wow, what great info Risky. I've done quite a bit of wiring on my own house mods including wiring my new attached garage with RV outlet. I always just looked for the number on the piece of wiring. Guess I'm only half awake.
Old 09-12-2021, 07:27 PM   #12

This has been an industry standard for quite a few years. I was told it made the inspection easier for the inspectors. Visual confirmation.
Old 09-19-2021, 07:26 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacman1214 View Post
Yes thank you JFlightRisk, Romex color coding was something I didn't know either. Also that stranded wire carries a much lower current than solid wire for the same diameter.

Not true. A given size stranded will carry the same current as solid.
Old 09-19-2021, 05:15 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrclen View Post
X2

Congrats senior member!
Old 09-19-2021, 05:33 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrclen View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppers4 View Post
X2
Depends on who you believe.........

Because of the given thickness of stranded wire, i.e., it's thinner, there are more air gaps and a greater surface area in the individual strands of wire. Therefore, it carries less current than similar solid wires can.Jul 20, 2018

"In solid wire of same length resistance of that wire is higher than stranded wire". Hence stranded wire carries more current than solid wire due to lower resistance. Oct 27, 2020
Old 09-19-2021, 05:48 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post

Because of the given thickness of stranded wire, i.e., it's thinner, there are more air gaps and a greater surface area in the individual strands of wire. Therefore, it carries less current than similar solid wires can.Jul 20, 2018

"In solid wire of same length resistance of that wire is higher than stranded wire". Hence stranded wire carries more current than solid wire due to lower resistance. Oct 27, 2020
OK Grumpy, ya got me there. The first answer on Google is always right.
Sheesh, the answers are all over the map so you're absolutely right. Who's on first.

I'll be quiet now.
Old 09-20-2021, 10:36 AM   #17

Don't know which is right, but I read and remembered that stranded was more flexible and carried more current.....but I will look it up even if I don't really need to know. I like to know things....
Old 09-21-2021, 11:59 AM   #18

Old time learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post

Years back, I was taught that electricity flows on the surface of the wire, not in the center. Therefore, I was told that stranded wire carries more current than solid as it has several layers of surface; therefore, as the second quote states less resistance.
ruralIN is offline   Reply With Quote