Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-27-2015, 11:09 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
W the experience you have with a larger MH, you will have no trouble with a diesel and smaller TT. Fueling while towing is pretty painless as long as you plan where you stop. From an interstate that starts with watching the exit signs for multi stations at an upcoming exit. Befor entering a station, observe the layout and don't use a station with pump lanes set at 90 degrees to the station. Only use lanes that run perpendictular to the road. Diesel will be displayed on the signage if they sell it. Diesel is typically available on the lane farthest from the station. A little planning can eliminate 99% of the challenge. Don't undersell yourself. Afterall a Jeep and a small TT s/b well within your skill set.

On occasion I use the truck lanes usually off to the side or rear of a station. If they don't accept reg cr cards at the truck pumps, I just move on thru. I will not go inside and leave a card.

Other fueling advice is Don't run to fumes and then stop in a panic. Fuel when the gauge is between 1/4 and 1/2. Allows you to pick the best station and not have to deal with the first one you come to. 2nd carry a 3-5 gal fuel can to stretch range in an emergency [just having it will save worry and I have never had to use it]. Don't panic and don't pull in to a lot without first studying the layout. Don't drive into a problem situation.

This is not rocket science.

Sound advice. When we need fuel, the DW will look up the upcoming exits with google earth. I use the street view and the above view. Then I can plan the best way for me to approach and exit the gas station!

Dan
Old 12-28-2015, 08:38 AM   #22

I measured my fuel inlet and it is 1 1/4" in diameter. Would someone with a disel pickup measure yours when you have time.

I'm not doubting my ability to get into less than desirable situations for fueling, I'm just trying to keep the hassle to a minimum and find out if it's OK to fuel where the truckers fuel.

I've been in some front area pump situations with my class A and towing that I'm trying to avoid in the future. With a class A towing a small car you cannot back up if the situation dictates. At least with the TT that will be a possibility if needed.

Using the front pumps I have often found a pump open where I would have to turn around to get the nozzle on the right side for fueling. By the time I got back the pump had been taken by someone else. I'm going in circles trying to get to an open pump, not easy with the length I had.

I never let my tank get below 3/8 and will plan accordingly. I will try and use the RV islands when possible. It just seems to me the trucker fueling area would be the best scenario if available.

Thanks for all the input so far. Wireman
Wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 08:46 AM   #23

I bought (and still enjoy) a Diesel car over 2 years ago.

You can't fill up at a big-rig pump. The nozzles for the OTR trucks are way to big for 'ordinary' Diesel vehicles.

We just have to share the pump lanes with the gassers.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 08:52 AM   #24

U can certainly use a big rig pump when fueling a diesel pickup. I do it all the time traveling (99% of my fill ups are at a travel center in the semi lanes). My truck won't take the full blast of diesel, as I usually need to have it on the slowest fill setting, but even that is much much faster than a normal diesel pump at a normal gas station(where I fill up for daily driving)
Old 12-28-2015, 08:57 AM   #25

Just a FYI, I ordered my 23RLSW a few days ago. Added the options I wanted so in about 10 weeks it will be here. The plant is closed between xmas & new years but time wise no big deal to me. I was planning on waiting another month or so before ordering but felt the deal I made was as good as I could get.

The only options I didn't get were the TV's and outside grill.

With this being the slow time of year for sales I was able to get about 33% off total sticker price as ordered. The SoCal delivery charges are insane from Indiana.

Wireman
Old 12-28-2015, 01:22 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wireman View Post
I measured my fuel inlet and it is 1 1/4" in diameter. Would someone with a disel pickup measure yours when you have time.
If it's that diameter all the way down to the tank, you're good to go. I believe all fuel inlets are 1 1/4" whether gas or diesel. The difference being with gas, they have the smaller opening with the flap 1/2" ? down to insert the smaller nozzle. So if you don't have the smaller opening below the lip of the inlet, you can fill anywhere. BTW, congrats on the new trailer.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 02:36 PM   #27

Quote:
I measured my fuel inlet and it is 1 1/4" in diameter. Would someone with a disel pickup measure yours when you have time
Inside diameter of a Duramax is 1.75". The high flow truck stop nozzles are ~1 1/2" - 1 5/8".

I think all full size diesel pickups can support the truck stop nozzles, I don't think any diesel cars/mid-size SUVs can.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 03:05 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsum2 View Post
U can certainly use a big rig pump when fueling a diesel pickup. I do it all the time traveling (99% of my fill ups are at a travel center in the semi lanes). My truck won't take the full blast of diesel, as I usually need to have it on the slowest fill setting, but even that is much much faster than a normal diesel pump at a normal gas station(where I fill up for daily driving)
Diesel pickups can accept truck-stop - truck-lane fuel nozzles, diesels cars and mid-size SUVs can not.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 03:09 PM   #29

Quote:

I'm not doubting my ability to get into less than desirable situations for fueling, I'm just trying to keep the hassle to a minimum and find out if it's OK to fuel where the truckers fuel.

I've been in some front area pump situations with my class A and towing that I'm trying to avoid in the future. With a class A towing a small car you cannot back up if the situation dictates. At least with the TT that will be a possibility if needed.

Using the front pumps I have often found a pump open where I would have to turn around to get the nozzle on the right side for fueling. By the time I got back the pump had been taken by someone else. I'm going in circles trying to get to an open pump, not easy with the length I had.

I never let my tank get below 3/8 and will plan accordingly. I will try and use the RV islands when possible. It just seems to me the trucker fueling area would be the best scenario if available.

Thanks for all the input so far. Wireman
You've had lots of challenging experiences at the front pumps and have a plan to ease your fueling pains. It seems that now all that remains is the certainty you can get fuel into your vehicle at the truck pumps. Maybe you could give it a try to fuel at those pumps before you begin towing. Then you'll KNOW without a doubt if those pumps will work for you or not.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 08:34 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
Maybe you could give it a try to fuel at those pumps before you begin towing. Then you'll KNOW without a doubt if those pumps will work for you or not.
Great idea for the OP. I never went out and actually measured my F-250's fuel inlet but the 1 1/4" sounded like it was right. After Clubhouses measurement, apparently it's bigger.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 09:34 PM   #31

I have filled my GMC Duramax up at the big rig nozzles many times and it fits fine. Not sure about other makes...
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 09:59 PM   #32

Diesel fueling when towing

Rule of thumb. Loves are the cleanest, Pilot second cleanest, but about the size of a postage stamp. Flying J normally offer rv islands, TA/Petro may require anti-biotic.

As for using truck islands, use common curtesy and understand some trucks will take longer than others, some truck drivers are professionals and some are not worth the title. Most of them are as scared of you driving around them as you are of them driving around you. If you own a GM truck good luck with the DEF nozzle reaching to the passenger side. I normally fill a jug and then take it over and fill the tank, then fill the jug and put in my tool box in case I end up needing some and can't find it at the pump.

If you have a Flying J RV rewards card you can activate the pump at any truck fuel lane at a flying j or pilot then go inside to pay. Still a pain, but normally after burning through a full tank I need to use the restroom.

As for tax on fuel. If you don't have a IFTA sicker on the side of your truck then you don't pay any less or any more when fueling at truck lanes vs. auto lanes.
Hoojs12840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 10:32 PM   #33

Sentiments are nice but In America we are all equal. My splashing 40 gal. into my F250 tank won't disrupt the 18 wheelers schedule any longer than it'll take them to pee; excuse my English.
Old 12-29-2015, 07:47 AM   #34

clubhouse, Thanks for measuring your fuel inlet. It looks to be a mute point now since your inlet is 1/2" larger than that on my JGC. As oldmanAZ said, going to a truck stop to see if there nozzles will fit is the best way to determine whether I can fuel at those pumps.

The only issue is there isn't a close truck stop to me. Probably 45 miles away. I guess in my journey's north from here I'll try and check one out to determine my situation. Might be awhile before I get that direction.

If anyone viewing ever has the chance to measure a nozzle at the trucker pumps please post that info on here. Appreciate every ones input. One day the mystery will be solved. Wireman
Old 02-16-2016, 01:23 PM   #35

Handy apps for Iphone/Ipad are Truck Stops Finder and Truckers Path. Both will show locations of most every place that sells diesel in your vicinity. Truckers Path will also show the location of all rest areas. I always use the truckers pumps at the truck stops, have never had an issue. I also have a 35 gallon auxiliary tank in the bed of my TV to extend my range.
dzchaney is offline   Reply With Quote