Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-26-2015, 08:58 AM   #1

Diesel fueling when towing

Here's my situation, I'm going to be the owner of a 23RLSW in a couple of months. I have owned a gasser class A (36 ft.)for the last 13 years towing a vehicle. I've sold it and we are down sizing to a TT.

I've fought access to the gas pumps in front of gas stations for years. That said I've have bought a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 3.0 liter diesel for towing a TT.

For those towing with a diesel vehicle, do you fuel up in the big rig pump area or access a diesel pump in the front islands when possible?

I'd prefer to go to the big rig pumps for easier access. Not sure if the truckers would appreciate a smaller vehicle and TT taking time to fuel there.

Do you mostly use Flying J, Love's, Pilot, etc. to fuel? That would seem to be the preferred places for fresher diesel.

I've heard to use the trucker lanes at the above mentioned stations, you either have to use 1 of their credit cards or pay cash, any truth to that?

Looking forward to everyone's input. Wireman
Wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 09:13 AM   #2

With my F350 diesel pulling a horse trailer or travel trailer I always fuel up at truck stops. Most have a RV section that is easy in and out. If not I still use the car section, you may use two spots but it is not a big deal, fuel and move,everybody happy! Use your credit card at the pump and if you have a Good Sam rewards card you get 3 cents off the price.
Old 12-26-2015, 09:14 AM   #3
Site Team

My first choice is fueling when not towing, as my truck can go almost 500 miles between fuel stops which is more than I drive in a day. That said when the need arises, I pull into the truck lanes out back. They generally do not have pay at the pump if not, I go inside and leave my drivers license and tell them I want to fill up ay the pump I am parked in. Usually they will ask you your company name, just tell them you are private in a rv.

I have noticed that when truckers are done pumping, they pull up enough to let the next guy get ready, while they go back inside to complete the transaction.

I they want to hold my credit card or debit card, I politely tell them no thanks.

I have found that truckers normally take more time than we do to fill up as they take care of other bodily functions, check fluid levels, wash windows etc.

I have never had anyone treat me like I was not as welcome as they were fueling up. If the place is busy with trucks, I may look for another nearby that is not crowded.

Enjoy your time there, it is a major investment to spend the $$$ to fuel up a diesel and you are the customer.

Sorry for the wordy answer.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 09:31 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wireman View Post
snip...
For those towing with a diesel vehicle, do you fuel up in the big rig pump area or access a diesel pump in the front islands when possible?
A diesel pump in the front islands.

I'd prefer to go to the big rig pumps for easier access. Not sure if the truckers would appreciate a smaller vehicle and TT taking time to fuel there. Physical access may be easier and sometimes you may have to use them if there are no other options, BUT the nozzles are larger and the flow volume is often too high for passenger car fillers - You might have to stand there and hold the nozzle partially open.

Do you mostly use Flying J, Love's, Pilot, etc. to fuel? That would seem to be the preferred places for fresher diesel.Flying J's layout has an RV lane (out front and to one side or the other) with both gas and diesel with better maneuvering space. This is in addition to the passenger car area with both gas and diesel. Unless in a jam, I ALWAYS fuel at a station that has trucks fueling there; usually Flying J or Love's.

I've heard to use the trucker lanes at the above mentioned stations, you either have to use 1 of their credit cards or pay cash, any truth to that? Rules vary and you won't know them until you go in. However, usually there is no 'pay at the pump' in the truck lanes. So, at a minimum, in the truck lines expect that you'll have to go in, wait in line, tell them your pump number, they clear the pump from the previous customer and take your credit card, you walk back to the pump, fill your tank, pull your rig forward, then walk back in, wait in line to pay and get your credit card back.

I see some posting while I was typing this...
Like Norty1 said, if possible fuel the TV while unhitched.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 09:34 AM   #5

I have always filled the MH before leaving and will do the same with a TT. We do a lot of long range traveling so fill ups along our route will be necessary. It was a challenge at times to fuel the MH at the front pumps and be able to have a clear exit because of parked cars in front, etc. Most of the front fueling areas were not really planned for a total length of 55-56 ft. having easy exit, especially a long wheelbase MH.

Anyone have FJ, Loves, etc. credit cards they use at the trucker pumps?

Noty1, my thoughts were what you expressed. Don't waste time at the pumps, fuel and move out. Fuel capacity on the JGC is only 25 gallons so it won't take much time to refuel.

Wireman
Old 12-26-2015, 10:02 AM   #6

I prefer to fuel up when not towing as well, generally we are camping ~300 miles of home which stays within the range of a tank of fuel.

However, I have frequently used truck stop truck truck lanes to fuel up if I am towing. I love the speed of those high volume nozzles. You should be aware that truck lanes have much larger nozzle's and they may not fit you vehicle if it only has the automotive size fuel tank inlet.
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 10:22 AM   #7

I'm setting out on my first rv trip Tuesday. Good info here. Do most of the truck stops have hi pressure air? Thanks, rick
Old 12-26-2015, 10:30 AM   #8
Site Team

I have never depended on them for air. I carry my own compressor that meets my needs. Many truck stops do have it many regular stations don't go much over 50psi. That's why I made my own arrangements. I prefer to air up cold but with a TPMS, it's not needed as often.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 12-26-2015, 10:54 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgrigutis View Post
snip... Do most of the truck stops have hi pressure air? Thanks, rick
On the RARE occasion(s?) I've needed 80psi air, Flying J had at least 80psi 'out front.' I'm sure they have somewhat higher than that available; if not out front, then in back where the big trucks fuel.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 06:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Enjoy your time there, it is a major investment to spend the $$$ to fuel up a diesel and you are the customer.
But please remember that the truckers, for whom the truck stops are designed, are there and working for a living. Use RVers aren't relying upon quick access to and from a pump to pay bills and support a family. Use them if they are free, but please be quick and courteous to those around you... especially the hard working men and women drivers that keep our country supplied!!!
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 06:32 PM   #11
Site Team

No disagreement from me on that point but I don't feel like I am not supposed to be there.

My rig will not get in the pumps in the auto section. As I stated, I have never been made to feel unwelcome back there.

I show the same courtesy that I am shown my the truckers. Main thing is don't cause any delay to others while doing business. Just common courtesy.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 12-26-2015, 07:05 PM   #12

So will someone confirm that the nozzles at the trucker pumps are a larger diameter and not just a higher volume pump.

I have filled up at Sams Club using the same pumps that diesel pickups are using.
Not sure if pickups are a larger diameter filler than my JGC. FYI, my JGC does not have a fuel cap. It has the flapper that is self sealing when the nozzle is removed.

Anyone viewing with a JGC who has fueled at the trucker pumps? Wireman
Old 12-26-2015, 07:11 PM   #13

Most truck stops use larger nozzles. Some may have one island with the smaller nozzle for pickups.
Old 12-26-2015, 07:40 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racinforthefinish View Post
Most truck stops use larger nozzles. Some may have one island with the smaller nozzle for pickups.
Diesel pickups can utilize any fuel nozzle whether it's the big rig pump or the smaller "unleaded" version. Most of the truck stops have an outside lane in their big rig area for pickup/camper refueling. To the OP, any way you can lift up the "flap" covering your fuel inlet? If it's the standard 1" opening {I think}, it will accept any fuel nozzle on the road. If your nervous about using a big rig nozzle and the rapid fuel filling, just don't squeeze the nozzle handle all the way down and fill it slowly.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 09:35 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
My first choice is fueling when not towing, as my truck can go almost 500 miles between fuel stops which is more than I drive in a day.
Yep, and know that Costco is working to roll-out diesel to their stations ... you can check their website for details.

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 01:00 AM   #16

I have been filling up at large truck stops for several years. Never had a problem or a dis-courteous comment. Also the DEF is much cheaper at the pump dispensers than buying it in a 2 1/2 gallon jug.
2013 GMC Sierra 2500 CC SB 4x4 Duramax
skijlw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 07:55 AM   #17

Truck stops in the big rig lanes. Easy in and out without having to worry about maneuvering. Only bad thing is you have to go in and prepay as the islands don't take personal cards
Old 12-27-2015, 08:38 AM   #18

I will measure the fuel inlet diameter today on the JGC for comparision. Wireman
Old 12-27-2015, 09:11 AM   #19

You may pay more filling up in the "trucker lanes" as they often pay more in road taxes. I usually use the flyingJ RV islands to fill up at.. most are easy in and out...
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 09:24 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wireman View Post
Here's my situation, I'm going to be the owner of a 23RLSW in a couple of months. I have owned a gasser class A (36 ft.)for the last 13 years towing a vehicle. I've sold it and we are down sizing to a TT.

W the experience you have with a larger MH, you will have no trouble with a diesel and smaller TT. Fueling while towing is pretty painless as long as you plan where you stop. From an interstate that starts with watching the exit signs for multi stations at an upcoming exit. Befor entering a station, observe the layout and don't use a station with pump lanes set at 90 degrees to the station. Only use lanes that run perpendictular to the road. Diesel will be displayed on the signage if they sell it. Diesel is typically available on the lane farthest from the station. A little planning can eliminate 99% of the challenge. Don't undersell yourself. Afterall a Jeep and a small TT s/b well within your skill set.

On occasion I use the truck lanes usually off to the side or rear of a station. If they don't accept reg cr cards at the truck pumps, I just move on thru. I will not go inside and leave a card.

Other fueling advice is Don't run to fumes and then stop in a panic. Fuel when the gauge is between 1/4 and 1/2. Allows you to pick the best station and not have to deal with the first one you come to. 2nd carry a 3-5 gal fuel can to stretch range in an emergency [just having it will save worry and I have never had to use it]. Don't panic and don't pull in to a lot without first studying the layout. Don't drive into a problem situation.

This is not rocket science.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote