Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-11-2017, 11:49 AM   #1

Difference in Jayflight -vs- Whitehawk

I see Jayco has the White Hawk listed as a 1/2 ton towable, I take that as lighter, thinner material to reduce weight.
"Norco Next Gen frame", how does that compare with what frame is on the Jay Flight?
White Hawk appears to have the smooth side walls, doesn't that ADD weight?
What are the other main differences in construction?
Price seems pretty much similar, even maybe a bit higher on some of the White Hawks.

Differences I should be aware of, and concerned with?
2015 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab, Traded in
Bluegill1
bluegill1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 12:46 PM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
The Norco/Bal Ultra Frame or Next Gen Frame are good frames for what they are design for. Sometimes a manufacturer goes overboard what they are used for behind the specifications. Also RV operators will go past their design specifications (speed on bad roads or off road). They might also use the Lippert frames for some models.
If the walls have aluminum construction it will be light with the smooth walls. The Tuff-Shell was a good construction but expensive vacuum bonded process, so many manufactures use the cold laminated process (more delamination).
Be careful with the statements on brochures as they can change at any moment production design. I'm sure others will tune in who own units you're interested in.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 12:54 PM   #3

I have to say that I'm pleased with the owner's forum advice and discussions but getting disappointed with Jaycos construction especially the newer models. My wife and I are retired but living on a budget . We don't need a new unit, just a good one and 2014 models are not free. I've looked at several Jaycos lately all 2014 models or newer. 2 28DSBH White Hawk and 2 28BHBE have had slide-out membranes bubbled up big time or down-right lifting and detaching from the slide roof. While most of the reviews I've read and the research I've done indicates mostly Jayco customer satisfaction, not all do. It was on Jayco Reviews that I read one very negative comment about slide lifting AND leaking problems. This alerted me to this MAYBE inherent problem and having had a leaky roof problem years ago with a non-Jayco TT and a very upset wife and 4 small children, I for one won't repeat that mistake again. In addition, MAYBE since their take-over by a bigger conglomerate, complaints seem to be mounting. We're still looking for a good used 2014-15 28bhbe( Same floor plan as the White Hawk), but very cautiously. Hope this helps?
Cuchulainn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 01:18 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I didn't look at the White Hawks prior to purchasing my 2018 Jay Flight, but my prior two Jayco products were Eagle travel trailers, so that was my reference point. The new Eagle's were getting larger/heavier then what I needed, thus my Jay Flight purchase.

I like the fact that the Jay Flight's frame uses structural steel I-beams like the Eagles, which I'm sure has to do with the potential weight class differences between Jayco models (White Hawk, Jay Flight, etc.).

My past two Eagles had the Filon bonded outer wall surface which was nice, but I went with the aluminum outer wall surface with my new Jay Flight in lieu of the fiberglass option. The 'R' wall ratings I believe are identical and I don't have to worry about delamination (had a major delam-repair on my 2005 Eagle in 2007 that Jayco took care of). Also, I'm not a fan of frameless windows that come with the fiberglass option, poor interior cross ventilation characteristics.

The other option that Jay Flight offers is the Thermal Package, a big plus since I do a lot of cold weather camping. Jay Flight also comes standard with 15" rims and "D" load range tires, don't know about the White Hawk.

The Jay Flight is my 3rd Jayco product (1999 Eagle, 2005 Eagle, 2018 Jay Flight) so my confidence remains in Jayco when looking at the larger picture and being realistic on the different manufactures offerings within the RV industry in general.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 01:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
I didn't look at the White Hawks prior to purchasing my 2018 Jay Flight, but my prior two Jayco products were Eagle travel trailers, so that was my reference point. The new Eagle's were getting larger/heavier then what I needed, thus my Jay Flight purchase.

I like the fact that the Jay Flight's frame uses structural steel I-beams like the Eagles, which I'm sure has to do with the potential weight class differences between Jayco models (White Hawk, Jay Flight, etc.).

My past two Eagles had the Filon bonded outer wall surface which was nice, but I went with the aluminum outer wall surface with my new Jay Flight in lieu of the fiberglass option. The 'R' wall ratings I believe are identical and I don't have to worry about delamination (had a major delam-repair on my 2005 Eagle in 2007 that Jayco took care of). Also, I'm not a fan of frameless windows that come with the fiberglass option, poor interior cross ventilation characteristics.

The other option that Jay Flight offers is the Thermal Package, a big plus since I do a lot of cold weather camping. Jay Flight also comes standard with 15" rims and "D" load range tires, don't know about the White Hawk.

The Jay Flight is my 3rd Jayco product (1999 Eagle, 2005 Eagle, 2018 Jay Flight) so my confidence remains in Jayco when looking at the larger picture and being realistic on the different manufactures offerings within the RV industry in general.

Bob
Very interesting that what one owner did not like is exactly what another owner was looking for. I really like the frameless windows so they can stay open if raining and the UV does not get to the seals (and I think they just look nicer too). I am not a fan of "Pinch rolled" laminated sides, but my White Hawk "Vacuum" laminated seems to be holding up very well and is supposed to be a big improvement over the older pinch rolled models. I like the smooth skin look over the aluminum siding appearance better.

I like the appearance of the White Hawk models in general better than the Jay Flights and have been generally pleased with the quality of construction as well. Like everyone I had a few minor warranty items which were quickly resolved by the dealer, and it has been almost two years since I have had any issues at all (that were not of my own making ).

JHerzog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 03:43 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHerzog View Post
Very interesting that what one owner did not like is exactly what another owner was looking for.....snip
Guilty.., human nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHerzog View Post
snip.....I really like the frameless windows so they can stay open if raining .....snip
I like the clean appearance of the frameless window, but open cross ventilation is a factor in my case because I boondock frequently.

The one feature I liked with my prior Fiberglass (Filon) wall Eagles was the old frame style windows that also opened nicely during the rain (jalousie style)..., guess design styles change over time.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 05:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
Guilty.., human nature

I like the clean appearance of the frameless window, but open cross ventilation is a factor in my case because I boondock frequently.

The one feature I liked with my prior Fiberglass (Filon) wall Eagles was the old frame style windows that also opened nicely during the rain (jalousie style)..., guess design styles change over time.

Bob
Agree. Never saw a TT I didn't like, just some more than others.
JHerzog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 06:11 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to jaycojay Send a message via MSN to jaycojay
I'm a firm believer in the Jayflight. Still think after all these years, it's the best bang for your buck. Old school construction ..... aluminum and wood. Seen to much delamination out there with fiber glass exteriors, mostly due to lack of maintenance. I just believe the old way is more forgiving. As for the frame .... the I beam frame on the Jayflight is the best on the market.
Old 10-11-2017, 07:01 PM   #9

Is there any difference in the axles and brakes for similar length of units?
GrumpyDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 07:12 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyDad View Post
Is there any difference in the axles and brakes for similar length of units?
That would depend on the GVWR of the units in question. One 30 ft trailer loaded may weigh a few thousand pounds more then another.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 07:13 PM   #11

OK, good point, but for similar GVWR, is it a standard axle and brake setup across the lineup?
GrumpyDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 07:27 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyDad View Post
OK, good point, but for similar GVWR, is it a standard axle and brake setup across the lineup?
Similar GVWR units of same length would have similar brakes, axles and tires. In this equation tongue weight is figured in so axle or tire ratings may not add up to the GVWR of the trailer. Not something I agree with but that`s how they do it, cutting the margins too close for comfort in my humble opinion.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 07:07 PM   #13

We've owned a Jay Flight and now a White Hawk. Our old Jay Flight was a
good trailer. Our White Hawk is a better trailer (so far). Love the smooth sides and the frameless windows. We boondock a lot and have had no issue with cross ventilation. Love being able to open the windows in the rain too. I also like the aluminum frame sidewalls. This allows us to tow a lot more trailer than we could with a heavier Jay Flight. They are both great, but after having both, I prefer the White Hawk. Be prepared to spend more though for a White Hawk. Our 2017 White Hawk 28 DSBH loaded with all the options was about $40,000 MSRP. Of course we didn't pay that much though!

2001 Ford F-150 4x4 5.4

2012 Prime Time Tracer 2670BHS (sold)
2017 White Hawk 28DSBH (*Special Ordered w/ almost all the options in 10/16. Delivered on 5/19/17)
oldnnew is offline   Reply With Quote