Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-03-2013, 08:31 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 923
Quote:
Originally Posted by grayco View Post
I don't need a bigger one ;-) My wife likes the one we have.

Marty
You are indeed a lucky man! And your wife is lucky too.
__________________

dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 07:52 PM   #22
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 45
We special ordered our '97 Eagle with all Fiberglass siding. (In Montana it hails) It's been 16 years and no delamination on this old pup. That being said, the side that faces the winter sun has lost it's shine and I've polished it up a time or two but it doesn't stay pretty very long. If anything's giving up the ghost it's the graphic decals. They're starting to crack and peel. I've read here that they're awfully expensive if you can even get them anymore.
__________________

mtelkhntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 10:32 AM   #23
Senior Member
 
krackeer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Greenville SC
Posts: 843
Quote:
Originally Posted by grayco View Post
I don't need a bigger one ;-) My wife likes the one we have.

Marty
Your a lucky man!
__________________
2012 Jayco 32 TSBH
Stored in Myrtle Beach/Surfside SC
2006 Tundra DC with tow package
No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 03:39 PM   #24
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 102
The two biggest factors for me in picking out our trailer were the aluminum panel siding and the 5/8" tongue and groove floor. Jayco's vacuum bonded fiberglass does seem to be better than most based on my experience with our 2006 Jay Feather and I did like how easy it was to clean and keep looking nice. I wanted stick and tin this time because I know I can tear into the trailer with my skills and fix some rot or other internal problem if needed. If a fiberglass side needs to be re-laminated, I'd be up you know what creek and be paying someone else big bucks for this. Plus you see some pretty old stick and tin trailers in pretty nice shape if they were somewhat taken care of.

Both styles have their ups and downs, but that was my reasoning.

I wasn't wild about the sandwich floor construction in my Jay Feather either - the plywood in my Jay Flight is much more sturdy.

Also, if one of the Jay Flight line trailers isn't "big enough" for you you must have some pretty extreme trailer needs! I have noticed that there are few if any aluminum sided 5th wheels being built now though.
__________________
2012 Jay Flight 29QBH
2003 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins H.O. 48RE
Equalizer 4-pt sway control hitch
Honda EU1000i
2006 Jayfeather 29Y - past Jayco
KachFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 02:07 AM   #25
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 25
I am really glad you brought this up. We have fiberglass siding now on our unit. It is get coated and really smooth. We are considering a upgrade but the new Jay Flight is aluminum siding. Just to let you all know they are now offering a fiberglass siding option but they are not gel coated. When we looked at the un gel coated siding it was dull and looked plain. The aluminum siding was shiny or had a gloss to it. We are going back and forth and do not know which way to go. Specifically how much more difficult is it to keep a aluminum siding unit clean? It seems that you can only wash it in a horizontal fashion and do you know if you have to wax this type of siding as well? Thanks all
Campwhenican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 07:38 AM   #26
Site Team
 
Crabman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Virginia`s Eastern Shore
Posts: 14,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campwhenican View Post
I am really glad you brought this up. We have fiberglass siding now on our unit. It is get coated and really smooth. We are considering a upgrade but the new Jay Flight is aluminum siding. Just to let you all know they are now offering a fiberglass siding option but they are not gel coated. When we looked at the un gel coated siding it was dull and looked plain. The aluminum siding was shiny or had a gloss to it. We are going back and forth and do not know which way to go. Specifically how much more difficult is it to keep a aluminum siding unit clean? It seems that you can only wash it in a horizontal fashion and do you know if you have to wax this type of siding as well? Thanks all
I have not found cleaning my aluminum sided trailer difficult, I use a telescoping RV brush to wash it. The key is to wash it regularly and not allow the dreaded "black streaks" to get baked into the paint. These streaks come from the roofing material and run down the side of the trailer when it rains. If cleaned a couple times a year they come off easy, but I had a used trailer before this one that had not been cared for properly and the streaks were a BEAR to get off. My trailer is over 4 years old now and still nice and shiny, I have waxed it once but not sure if that is needed or not. There are some really old aluminum sided trailers out there that look really nice with proper care.
__________________
2017 Coachmen Catalina 283RKS
2004 Chevy 2500 HD CC 6.0l
2010 Jayflight 28BHS (sold)
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 03:22 PM   #27
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
I have not found cleaning my aluminum sided trailer difficult, I use a telescoping RV brush to wash it. The key is to wash it regularly and not allow the dreaded "black streaks" to get baked into the paint. These streaks come from the roofing material and run down the side of the trailer when it rains. If cleaned a couple times a year they come off easy, but I had a used trailer before this one that had not been cared for properly and the streaks were a BEAR to get off. My trailer is over 4 years old now and still nice and shiny, I have waxed it once but not sure if that is needed or not. There are some really old aluminum sided trailers out there that look really nice with proper care.
Crabman How if I may ask is it difficult? I am thinking you will only be able to go side to side with a brush. Also what did you use to wax it? Is PINE PITCH a problem? Just wondering if you would to try to clean that off it the shine would come off with it. Thanks again
Campwhenican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 03:40 PM   #28
Site Team
 
Crabman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Virginia`s Eastern Shore
Posts: 14,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campwhenican View Post
Crabman How if I may ask is it difficult? I am thinking you will only be able to go side to side with a brush. Also what did you use to wax it? Is PINE PITCH a problem? Just wondering if you would to try to clean that off it the shine would come off with it. Thanks again
I did not say it was difficult, in fact my quote says "I have not found cleaning my aluminum sided trailer difficult, I use a telescoping RV brush to wash it." Side to side does work better, going with the lines but still that`s not a problem. I used RV wax from camping world, nothing fancy. I find that Pine sap is a bit of a bear to get off most any surface, and the longer it sits the harder it is to remove but it will come off with persuasion.
__________________

__________________
2017 Coachmen Catalina 283RKS
2004 Chevy 2500 HD CC 6.0l
2010 Jayflight 28BHS (sold)
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia State Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.