Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-10-2017, 01:07 PM   #21

I'm a full timer, Jayco's standard response on everything is go to your dealer. I've been waiting 3 weeks for a replacement tv from jayco via their dealer. Richardson rv near my location requires you to leave the rv with them for 14-17 days for service with a maximum of 8 warranty items per visit. Jayco says they have no control over their dealers. I had an attorney contact jayco and they agreed to a mobile service for the repairs but I have to pay for the service call. Mobile service bills jayco direct and has problems with them as well. We spend a ridiculous amount of time taking photos for jayco. We needed to set up lighting in the under belly so they could see water even thought water could be clearly seen leaking from the bottom. If I could resend the sale, I would do so immediately. ..
Deal Breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 03:25 PM   #22

Here's a mod I did last year, maybe an option for you

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...ese-37470.html

2005 Forest River Rockwood 2601 (Sold)
2011 Ford Expedition XLT (Sold)
2008 Jeep Wrangler (Just for fun!)
Nukeneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 03:52 PM   #23

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1445.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	29003

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1446.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	29004

Deal Breaker, My dealer also is Richardson's. Have to say that I'm pretty satisfied with the warranty items they've fixed on my 2016 23RLSW.

A lot of the small stuff I've fixed myself. I hear you about the having to take in the TT 2-3 weeks before they can work on it. Doesn't make sense. Also the 8 items per visit is sometimes unrealistic.

My dinette sits in the slide between the two side walls, so no issue here with that. That said, those who are having issues with the seat back coming loose or actually falling off highlights my thoughts about quality.

That shouldn't even be on anyone's radar as a problem. Especially if someone could get injured. Obviously P P engineering and or assembly by Jayco.

Obviously no such thing as a perfect camper and I can deal with the little things myself. But there are a lot of people out there who have to rely on the dealer to fix all there problems.

Lost time and a hassle for them taking it in for items that could be and should be taken care of at the factory.

Jayco pays one way or the other, pay the assembly line to do it right or pay the dealer to fix it. I'm guessing that the dealer cost is just as much or more for any repairs.

It's all about getting the units built and on there way to the dealers.

Over all I'm satisfied with my Jayco TT. Probably better than most out there.

I guess I'm just old school. If you have time to do it over, you had time to do it right the first time.

Pics of how my new TT deadbolt was made to lock when I picked it up.
Wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 10:04 PM   #24

I took a used jayco tent trailer in to that same dealer in 2011 for some work and it took 3 or 4 weeks to get it back. After that I took it to a small repair shop in Hemet and received must better service at a much lower price.
sawdust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 06:54 AM   #25

Assemblers in the RV factory's are typically paid piece work. A "crew" is paid $X.xx to assemble a trailer.

At one factory, not Jayco, they build 2 trailers per day per crew. If the crew finishes at 2 or 5 it doesn't matter to management. Most all of the individual items are pre-assembled in a separate area of the shop, or they are a vendor supplied part. The crew slaps all the parts together and shazam; another unit gets shipped

The dinette bases would be assembled in house, separate of the line. Those working in the sub assembly area are slapping parts together as fast as possible under the direction of management.

Quality costs, if glue and screws were used to assemble a dinette base it would take 40 to 50% more time. If there are enough "failures" or defects then a process might be changed.
64osby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 09:57 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deal Breaker View Post
I'm a full timer, Jayco's standard response on everything is go to your dealer. I've been waiting 3 weeks for a replacement tv from jayco via their dealer. Richardson rv near my location requires you to leave the rv with them for 14-17 days for service with a maximum of 8 warranty items per visit. Jayco says they have no control over their dealers. I had an attorney contact jayco and they agreed to a mobile service for the repairs but I have to pay for the service call. Mobile service bills jayco direct and has problems with them as well. We spend a ridiculous amount of time taking photos for jayco. We needed to set up lighting in the under belly so they could see water even thought water could be clearly seen leaking from the bottom. If I could resend the sale, I would do so immediately. ..
You are aware I'm sure, that Jayco does NOT recommend most of their products (as do most other mfg) for full timing. These units are designed and built for "recreational " users. We work kamp and live, typically, for 6 months at a time. That being said, I understand were going to have more wear and tear in a season than most Rvers will have in a decade of use. I expect to do maintenance and have. We also purchased from Richardson's sister company in Middlebury. Never had a reason to take it in for service. Few minor cosmetic issues we took care of, radio issue I called to ask for help, they just sent us a new unit, which was much more than I was expecting. Jayco customer service has been fantastic as far as I'm concerned

Most RV's are designed for occasional use, not as a permanent residence. You should expect and understand your going to have to do more maintenance than most folks.

Good Luck..

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 11:31 PM   #27

Not sure "Full Timing" has anything what so ever to do with many of the issues Jayco Owners are experiencing on brand new products. When the product fails out of the box, one would be hard pressed to argue excessive use, abuse or in this case "Full Timing". **** is broke from the factory and missed and or ignored by the delivering dealer. Disgraceful.... AKA "Shockingly Unacceptable"...
Old 03-01-2017, 01:36 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailerboy66 View Post
We have a jay flight 23 rb camping on weekend and our little wall and back rest fell off od dining seat near door after looking at it it isn't attached very well anybody else have this problem thanks

I had a similar issue with our Jay Flight 23MB. Screws on the seat backing L bracket were just completely missing. Seems the pre-drilled holes simply didn't line up with the bracket so they just didn't put them in.

I drilled some new starter holes for the screws and fixed it no problem. My screws were a bit too long though so made a little bump on the other flat side of the seat panel (d'oh!). Oh well, at least it should hold now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
adjarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 07:52 AM   #29

Quote:
Not sure "Full Timing" has anything what so ever to do with many of the issues Jayco Owners are experiencing on brand new products. When the product fails out of the box, one would be hard pressed to argue excessive use, abuse or in this case "Full Timing". **** is broke from the factory and missed and or ignored by the delivering dealer. Disgraceful.... AKA "Shockingly Unacceptable"...
Exactly the point. Being under the Thor umbrella now, we'll see what, and if anything changes.

For those who have only had minor issues, that's great, but we can't ignore the problems others have had with P/P quality on there new TT's.
Old 03-01-2017, 07:57 AM   #30

I really don't understand all the complaining that goes on here.
Yes, I am sure that some people get trailers that have some major glitches.
But at least in our case, we've only had a few things that needed fixing, and I've easily fixed them myself. And the back rest of the dinette was one of them. It took less time to get a couple of longer and wider screws and put them in than it would take to come here and complain about it.

I really don't mind doing small tasks on my trailer. Didn't we all used to tinker with our cars? Only now, the cars are so complicated and computerized that I wouldn't know where to start. I actually enjoy tinkering with the trailer. Tightening things here, making a mod there.

We went to the Jayco plant and did the tour. I don't think the work being done there is less quality than for many other products. Yes, it doesn't have the same build quality as Detroit and the auto industry, but I paid under $15K for a new and very good and useful travel trailer. A new tow vehicle from Detroit would likely cost me $50K+, so I fully expect that to be much higher quality.
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 08:13 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewey02 View Post
But at least in our case, we've only had a few things that needed fixing, and I've easily fixed them myself. And the back rest of the dinette was one of them. It took less time to get a couple of longer and wider screws and put them in than it would take to come here and complain about it.

I really don't mind doing small tasks on my trailer. Didn't we all used to tinker with our cars? Only now, the cars are so complicated and computerized that I wouldn't know where to start. I actually enjoy tinkering with the trailer. Tightening things here, making a mod there.

We went to the Jayco plant and did the tour. I don't think the work being done there is less quality than for many other products. Yes, it doesn't have the same build quality as Detroit and the auto industry, but I paid under $15K for a new and very good and useful travel trailer. A new tow vehicle from Detroit would likely cost me $50K+, so I fully expect that to be much higher quality.
Depends which end of the stick you're on. Many of us do minor repairs, make mods and have the ability for that.

There are others who don't know which end of a screwdriver to use. They have to go to the dealer for repairs that hopefully get done correctly.

The TT is usually there for 3-4 weeks, taking away camping time and just the hassle of repeating this process for stuff that shouldn't be a issue in the first place.

I've said before there's no perfect camper, but just a little more effort during assembly would make things better for us owners and the reputation of the industry.

It's not just Jayco. Go to any brand forum and read the issues owners have with new units.
Old 03-01-2017, 09:45 AM   #32

Quote:

I challenge someone to build a rolling house designed to be beaten to death on potholes and gravel roads for what we buy them for. Then you have to make profit on said rolling house to pay the employees who make them. Then don't make it expensive because people will complain, but don't make it cheap or you won't make any money. You have to make it as fancy as possible so the average family will want your design and not the other guys. It needs to function flawlessly or people will complain. You need to offer a ton of options or people will be bored with your lack of diversity and go somewhere else.

There are campers out there being made that are highly sophisticated and near bulletproof for the Overland crowd. Google "Overlanding" and see what these guys pay for campers built not to fail.

The dealers seem to be a huge problem, the lack of competent service departments seem to be a huge issue, and the average Joe doesn't work on his own stuff. I get mad when I see something half assed on my trailer, but then I remember I didn't buy a top of the line Adventure camper, I bought what I could afford and could make better myself as time went on.

Rant over.....
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 11:34 AM   #33

Quote:

Jayco doesn't just make tt's that cost $15K.. Some owners have spent way more money than a Detroit $50K tow vehicle and have the very same poor quality and performance issues. If you read these forum threads you'll see owners are experiencing serious issues from day 1. Thus the complaints...
Old 03-01-2017, 05:55 PM   #34

Quote:
Jayco doesn't just make tt's that cost $15K.. Some owners have spent way more money than a Detroit $50K tow vehicle and have the very same poor quality and performance issues. If you read these forum threads you'll see owners are experiencing serious issues from day 1. Thus the complaints...

Sure there are problems with some units, but the good far outnumber the bad. Like any product, you'll read plenty of complaints about the bad on the internet whereas folks with good experience are far less likely to post about positive experiences.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-01-2017, 06:03 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwby View Post
I challenge someone to build a rolling house designed to be beaten to death on potholes and gravel roads for what we buy them for. Then you have to make profit on said rolling house to pay the employees who make them. Then don't make it expensive because people will complain, but don't make it cheap or you won't make any money. You have to make it as fancy as possible so the average family will want your design and not the other guys. It needs to function flawlessly or people will complain. You need to offer a ton of options or people will be bored with your lack of diversity and go somewhere else.

There are campers out there being made that are highly sophisticated and near bulletproof for the Overland crowd. Google "Overlanding" and see what these guys pay for campers built not to fail.

The dealers seem to be a huge problem, the lack of competent service departments seem to be a huge issue, and the average Joe doesn't work on his own stuff. I get mad when I see something half assed on my trailer, but then I remember I didn't buy a top of the line Adventure camper, I bought what I could afford and could make better myself as time went on.

Rant over.....
X2

Have to wonder about folks that every post is negative to Jayco.. For those that have been here for any length of time, we have seen this time and again...and after a while they are gone.. it's always suspect that trolls from other dealers or products troll these boards with negative stories. Richardson has always been quick to reply and answer questions. I have not had to return to the dealer (but did another dealer I didn't buy from) and have had few issues. As I said before Jayco customer service replaced a radio, dinette cushion, and the couch with no questions asked.. And for those saying Jayco doesn't make a TT for $15,000...I'm sure you can buy some of their units for $15 or less, depending on the dealer. We didn't pay a whole lot more than that for our 2015 27RLS new.. we did pick up in Middlebury.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 06:26 PM   #36

I'm guessing those negative posts might be a result of Owners all over the country having negative experiences with their product (Campers). I do like like your troll comment. I don't suppose there could be any Jayco Corporate Trolls on these forums:-)
Old 03-01-2017, 07:36 PM   #37

Quote:
Jayco doesn't just make tt's that cost $15K..
I was speaking to my personal experience.
And we bought a 2011 and paid less than $15K.
We have received EXCELLENT value for our money.
I have no idea what current year models sell for because I am not shopping for a trailer this year, so it is not relevant to me.

So there is at least one counter point to the idea that the entire world is falling apart because Jayco can't build a decent trailer and people can't fix minor problems themselves. I guess I got the only good trailer that they've built during the past 5 years.
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 07:59 PM   #38

Quote:
I guess I got the only good trailer that they've built during the past 5 years.
And I have the other one made in 2010.
Old 03-01-2017, 08:19 PM   #39

In many of my business endeavors, it has been said you are only as good as your last job. Leave a project 95% complete you will get crucified.

Mass production creates many issues, many of the units are built by crews that are paid piece rate. There are two facilities near me that the crews build two units per day. Management doesn't care if they finish at 2 or 5 pm. Just get the unit out the door. The quality issues come from slamming the units together.

Piece rate will provide cost effective units, but the quality can vary. Not all employees have the same view of quality and dedication to proper assembly techniques. Work ethic is lacking for many of the younger generation. I state that based on real world experience.

Not sure if Jayco runs under similar piece rate production.

Quality builds on every unit would require a new management direction and would most likely cost more per unit. My .02

A Smart phone is one that is NOT in your hand while driving!
64osby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 08:30 PM   #40

Quote:
I have no idea what current year models sell for because I am not shopping for a trailer this year, so it is not relevant to me.

So there is at least one counter point to the idea that the entire world is falling apart because Jayco can't build a decent trailer and people can't fix minor problems themselves. I guess I got the only good trailer that they've built during the past 5 years.
Did you read the post? Obviously Jayco makes products that cost less the $15K, the point is they also make products that sell for six figures and have quality issues as well. What's with the "Fake" news?

BTW, not every owner new they were buying a kit project and would need to re-plumb the entire camper for example.