Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-25-2018, 09:44 AM   #1

Dining Table Replacement

I'm trying to find a replacement dining table top for my 2015 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 287 BHSW and having no luck at all. Water got spilled on it, leaked into the seam causing it to swell and ruined it. I would like to replace it with an identical one so that it will work when converting the dinette into a bed.
Rancryst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 10:11 AM   #2

Here's a couple places to try.

https://factoryrvsurplus.com

http://bontragers.com
Old 08-25-2018, 01:17 PM   #3

I'm in the process of building one. I bought a piece of 3/4 inch cabinet oak plywood at home depot for about $60. I have it cut to size now and getting ready to put the oak trim on and stain it. My X23B table has that goofy lowering system and is made of particle board. I got a pair of the old style folding legs online for about $30. For about $100 I'll have a lighter, stronger, better table than what Jayco put in at the factory.
Bandit12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 08:51 PM   #4

I still scratch my head why anyone would believe the dinette table they put in the Jay Flights and JF SLXs are better than what used to be put in those units.

On paper, and in theory, it probably seems great. In fact, before I had to use it, I thought those tables were great. However, after using it a year, I finally took it out of the trailer and stored it in the garage. Don't need that heavy mechanism. I never did get the hang of opening and closing that thing very well. And the raising and lowering mechanism was large and got in the way of my feet.

I just carry two relatively small light weight folding aluminum tables when I need to use a table at the dinette.

I have thought about getting a set of folding legs like RV's makers used to use, and take the current "legs" off, and put the old style folding legs in it's place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit12 View Post
I'm in the process of building one. I bought a piece of 3/4 inch cabinet oak plywood at home depot for about $60. I have it cut to size now and getting ready to put the oak trim on and stain it. My X23B table has that goofy lowering system and is made of particle board. I got a pair of the old style folding legs online for about $30. For about $100 I'll have a lighter, stronger, better table than what Jayco put in at the factory.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 02:10 PM   #5

I sent an email to Jayco to see how much a replacement is from them. I'm thinking your solution may be cheaper and even if it is close to the same in price it would still be a lot better quality table top. This is my first camper and I was kind of shocked to see how cheap everything is in it.
Old 08-27-2018, 02:57 PM   #6

We had one made by a friend out of cedar planks. It was about $50 for the materials. 1/3 the weight of the original, stronger, and after sealing with spar varnish, pretty much water proof. We also went to the old style legs. We take our table outside and like yours, our original got soaked and swelled.

DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 04:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancryst View Post
This is my first camper and I was kind of shocked to see how cheap everything is in it.
You'd think something like a kitchen table would be able to handle some spills, wouldn't you.

If it swelled, it's probably particle board. 3/4" ply wood will resist the water better.

You might call a small, local cabinet shop and explain your issue. They might be able to whip something out for you.
Old 08-31-2018, 11:04 AM   #8

Yeah it's very cheap particle board but covered with formica that I thought made it pretty much water proof. I had a water jug sitting on it that had a very slow leak and it got into the seam. It looks like I'll have to to get a piece of finished plywood and make my own because Jayco was no help at all in providing a replacement. They directed me to a local Jayco dealer that doesn't return my calls.
Old 07-02-2020, 09:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
We had one made by a friend out of cedar planks. It was about $50 for the materials. 1/3 the weight of the original, stronger, and after sealing with spar varnish, pretty much water proof. We also went to the old style legs. We take our table outside and like yours, our original got soaked and swelled.

Where did you get those folding legs?

https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/ALCOFLLANMTXsm.jpg
Octopus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote