Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-11-2021, 11:36 AM   #1

DirecTV / Dish Setup

I've heard that if I get a portable dish, I can plug that into the satellite input on exterior of trailer (267BHS) and bring my DTV box from home and I can get DirecTV while at the campsite. Can anyone confirm that?
jgaryclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 11:51 AM   #2

The coax connection from the outside water compartment satellite input is not connected on my motorhome so if you have that you may run into the same problem. You would have to see if using the receiver on the satellite input inside your RV has a connection to the outside connection to the RV. No easy way to determine other than trying it out.

Gus and Jeanette and the Hunter Dawg in
Jada's Hut (a 2017 Precept 35S) towing a
2016 Jeep Cherokee High Altitude Limited
Palms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 12:16 PM   #3

We do that with our NP. Just make sure your receiver is compatible with the portable dish.
stauber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 06:07 PM   #4

I tried multiple times to get that input to work. I ultimately gave up and ran 2 lines direct to where I wanted them with a separate input form the CATV. I then pulled all CATV coax out and ran all new Solid Copper RG 6 for my CATV as well.

The routing Jayco used was mind-boggling. I also found that they must have had 75 extra feet of cable the had nothing to do with, so they stuffed it in the underbelly of my camper...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 06:16 PM   #5

I have Directv and tried the satellite connection in the connection center and it was a no go. I tried tracking down the problem and never could, so I think that they put in a splitter someplace inaccesible. I use only 1 TV, so I installed an exterior jack with a cover behind the entertainment center on the outside wall and I just hook up to that.
Old 05-11-2021, 08:54 PM   #6

Every Jayco we have owned the input on the outside of the trailer never worked. On our 33RLDS had a tech come out and put another input into the side of the camper and run a cable from the connector to the receiver. Thenused a HDMI cable from the receiver to the Television. and bypassed the trailer completly. The Bungalow the same thing. Our 27RL did the same thing. So here is how it is set up. Portable dish cable to the new input, inside trailer connection to receiver then receiver hdmi cable to tv. Works like a charm
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 09:26 AM   #7

I have a Jayco 275RLSW 2021 and I had to remove the cigarette lighter plate and use a continuity tester to see which one of the 3 coax cables connected was the one on the side of my camper. I then connected my receiver to that cable ( must bypass all splitters) then my tv and bam I now have satellite tv. FYT
lovestohunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 05:27 AM   #8

I requested an audio/visual schematic from Jayco for my Designer which they sent. Hooked my DirecTV receiver up to the coax from the Sat In outside jack, hooked the television to the HDMI out on the receiver, hooked up the dish, aimed it and all worked great.

This was first done 11 years ago and since upgraded to a Genie receiver. Still works great every day and after 11 years of doing it, I can aim my dish in less time than it takes to set up the tripod. Actual aiming takes less than 5 minutes including final tweaking.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote